First Time Out At Fontana Auto Club Dragway

-

gradedcatfood

1972 Plymouth Duster 440
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to the test & tune at Fontana this Jan 27. This will be my (and the cars) first time out on the track and was wondering what I should expect.

Any idea on how many passes I will be able to get? I'm sure it will depend on how many people show up but I don't know if I'm going to get a couple runs or much more than that.

Also, anyone else planning on going To Fontana Auto Club Dragway the same day? I will be there with my dad and would love to meet any other So Cal Mopar Racing guys.

I'm hoping I can get somewhere into the 12's but will be happy if I just get down the track.

72 Duster with 440 big block
Trickflow powerport 240 Heads
Comp Cam
Stock Bottom End
Edlebrock RPM Intake
Holley 750 Double Pumper
MSD Ignition
727 Torqueflite (that may or may not be slightly slipping)
Ford 8.8 - 4.10 Gears
29 inch tall street tires
No idea what it weights... 3300lbs?

Here is the complete photo album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/oN1JJ8fhlfQc4n8c2

So I took my 408 69 Convertible Dart there. Would not let run, would not pass tech, no roll bar, they said it is too fast. "Let me run it to find out" I said. They said, turn it on, I did, they said, too fast....:wtf:

So I took my 408 69 Convertible Dart there. Would not let run, would not pass tech, no roll bar, they said it is too fast. "Let me run it to find out" I said. They said, turn it on, I did, they said, too fast....:wtf:

Wow thats pretty lame. I would expect that you would be able to at least run it one time! What is the ET needed for a roll bar?

And needed SFI approved seat belts. Factory ones not good enough. :BangHead:

@skrews if you are going to disagree, at least post what you think is correct...thanks

hes a in convertible... different rules on roll bar for convertibles.....
Yup, I have a factory 1969 Dodge Polara 500 convertible with the 383-4bbl. I was wondering if I could get a run just to see what it would do in the 1/4 mile.

Vert cars have a completely different set of standards for safety equipment and time breaks for those safety items.

Rollbars
13.49 is for verts
11.49 for hardtop cars

As you know, not a lot of venues left here in So Cal to run legal.
So I guess it is back to the old street racing days of running behind a box factory that we used to use. There was a nice long 1/2 mile of road where there were no cross traffic.
I haven't been there in 42 years so I doubt it is still like that.

Yup, I have a factory 1969 Dodge Polara 500 convertible with the 383-4bbl. I was wondering if I could get a run just to see what it would do in the 1/4 mile.
No offense intended, But I doubt if that car combo would do 13.49. Probably be in the 15's. You could probably run it. That car is heavy, and they know it.

Last edited:
I doubt my convertible with a 2.76 gear ratio would turn fast enough to get into the 13's. I haven't looked it up to see if there is a NHRA rating for the car. Even though the engine is factory rated 5 hp less than the HP383 the motor is in a whale of a c-body.

it depends on the turnout and if a car breaks down on the track that requires cleaning the track but you could probably get 5 or 6 passes

Gauge the turnout on those street legal drags. Sometimes there are few, plenty of times it's packed.

They used to sell runs in 3 groups. The trick when it's packed is to buy a pass for two groups. You'll get more available passes. I've been there and seen people get one pass because cars were breaking and running the length of track spewing fluids... Hours of clean up. Just depends on how dumb those around you happen to be that day.

If your car breaks something or loses power, slow it up and move to the outer wall as quickly/safely as possible and stop. The track crew will appreciate it along with the rest of the people running.

Gauge the turnout on those street legal drags. Sometimes there are few, plenty of times it's packed.

They used to sell runs in 3 groups. The trick when it's packed is to buy a pass for two groups. You'll get more available passes. I've been there and seen people get one pass because cars were breaking and running the length of track spewing fluids... Hours of clean up. Just depends on how dumb those around you happen to be that day.

If your car breaks something or loses power, slow it up and move to the outer wall as quickly/safely as possible and stop. The track crew will appreciate it along with the rest of the people running.

Thank you, that sounds like very good advise!

Hey guys, I'm going to the test & tune at Fontana this Jan 27. This will be my (and the cars) first time out on the track and was wondering what I should expect.

Any idea on how many passes I will be able to get? I'm sure it will depend on how many people show up but I don't know if I'm going to get a couple runs or much more than that.

Also, anyone else planning on going To Fontana Auto Club Dragway the same day? I will be there with my dad and would love to meet any other So Cal Mopar Racing guys.

I'm hoping I can get somewhere into the 12's but will be happy if I just get down the track.

72 Duster with 440 big block
Trickflow powerport 240 Heads
Comp Cam
Stock Bottom End
Edlebrock RPM Intake
Holley 750 Double Pumper
MSD Ignition
727 Torqueflite (that may or may not be slightly slipping)
Ford 8.8 - 4.10 Gears
29 inch tall street tires
No idea what it weights... 3300lbs?

Here is the complete photo album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/oN1JJ8fhlfQc4n8c2
You should be able to race that with no problems. The amount of runs will depend on how many people show up. Are you going to be making any changes between runs by chance?

You should be able to race that with no problems. The amount of runs will depend on how many people show up. Are you going to be making any changes between runs by chance?

I will be playing with tire pressure a little bit and maybe checking spark plugs, nothing major.

I will be playing with tire pressure a little bit and maybe checking spark plugs, nothing major.

When i do a test and tune, i always try to make sure that as much as possible, so I change one thing at a time. I also make sure the engine/trans temp remains the same. Try changing out the plugs to different brands, Give it a fresh set of plugs before making a single pass. Make sure you have fresh gas in the tank.

-
Back