Floor pan and quarter patch help needed.

-

dusterman79

Reaction score
Guys, I'm going to be replacing the floor pan in my 74' Duster. Have any of you guys done this task? and if so any tips on what to expect or any issues I may run in to? I assume it's not going to be easy but help would be appreciated. Next I am going to be replacing the very lower L & R quarter skins, any removal/installation advice or issues I need to be aware of? besides the general head scratching and tool throwing?

Thanks guys

On your floor pan are you replacing the whole pan or just a section of it ? Do you have the new parts on hand ?

On the floor pans Make sure you dont over cut. IE new panel test fix and mark before cutting old one out . Once this is done from bottom of car drill guide holes 1/4 inch away from supports so you can remove old piece first this way you can use wire wheel on grinder to remove paint from left overs of old floor panels by drilling out spot weldes and carefully prying left overs from the rest of old panel leaving sub frame in tack.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=256891&highlight=replace+floor+pans link for pan removed frames showing not my car I have done this my self but never taken photos

once it looks like this use grinder to remove surface rust then prime frames with weld through primer you can buy buy from body shop supply or welding store. Then fit new panel then from under car mark panel with sharpie so you can drill holds for welding pans to frames where old spot welds were. You can hold floor temporarily with pop rivets or clecos. Hope this helps.

I did the floor, both sides in my dart. Had fun doing it. Took my time and enjoyed it. Probably had each part out 20 times making small adjustments. I could have patched the thin/bad spots, but decided to replace each whole half section. I think it was easier and a better job in the end.

This is the first I have welded and such. Had a buddy give me advice and left me to it. What part of Ohio are you from?

I plan on replacing the entire floor pan. It's not all destroyed by rust but I figure just do the full pan that way there's no worries about the areas that are slightly questionable. I have not removed it yet though as I wanted to order and have the new one in hand before going crazy. It looks like there are a crap load of spot welds holding it in. I was wondering if while it is removes if the lower door sills require ratchet straps to prevent body twist or if it's going to be just fine as removed. Can I have her up on jack stands during this process or will that come in to factor as well? Thanks alot

-
Back