fly wheel not.resurfaced

-

arfire

Reaction score
Fly wheel.wasnt resurfaced .only showed light cracks n surface rust .was in a hurry so I used a DA. To knock rust off .
Chatter chatter chatter .
Wonder if this is caused by flywheel.ckutch pp throw bearing
New. 74 dart sport 340.4 speed

The cracks you most likely are seeing is stress from overheating, so the flywheel was most likely needed turned before you used it.

what pressure plate and friction disc are you using new or used ?

sounds like a warped pressure plate maybe.

The Cracks were minor no visible wear marks
The flywheel is stock .clutch kit was oem replacement from summit

It should have been surfaced.

Yes I know I should have resurfaced. .
With the car in my shop I needed it able to move
That day ,as I make my living in it.
I've done several just like this that worked out great ,I assume it's warped or something .it'll shake your teeth letting the clutch out
Thanks all

No, it was over heated to the point that it cracked. Where the cracks are, it is very hard and brittle, so what happens is, the clutch slips across those areas and then tries to grab where the flywheel is still good. If the cracks are not too deep, the over heated areas can be machined out.

I've had super rusty flywheels And never had them machined. Probably should have. But I figured the clutch rubbing would get rid of the rust haha. Although what Rusty Rat Rod has said does make sense. Mine was never overheated to my knowledge and wasn't cracked and works fine.

No, it was over heated to the point that it cracked. Where the cracks are, it is very hard and brittle, so what happens is, the clutch slips across those areas and then tries to grab where the flywheel is still good. If the cracks are not too deep, the over heated areas can be machined out.

This is the correct diagnosis. Don't be an Askhole. :D

since U have nothing to lose, do some burnouts and slip the hell out of it a few times and see what happens.

I do have a question though. Since the clutch and flywheel are both round, and the clutch rotates on the flywheel. Wouldn't the clutch make contact on a good part of the flywheel at all times? Therefor it couldn't skip a cross the bad part of the flywheel and grab again unless the clutch also had slick parts on it as well?

I do have a question though. Since the clutch and flywheel are both round, and the clutch rotates on the flywheel. Wouldn't the clutch make contact on a good part of the flywheel at all times? Therefor it couldn't skip a cross the bad part of the flywheel and grab again unless the clutch also had slick parts on it as well?

Many/most clutches are made of materials that have some 'give'. Typically they will have far more variance in their thickness around the perimeter. But when the flywheel and pressure plate are flat and have good surfaces, the clutches 'high' or 'thick' spots will always be under tension and you'd never know the difference. Even when the clutch is perfectly flat and parallel, it will tend to flex when pinched by the narrow parts of the PP/FW combo and cause the same issue of chatter.

If either the flywheel or pressure plate is FUBAR, it'll shake your fillings out as the various screwed up surfaces fight one another.

Beyond the cracks, which indicate the flywheel was overheated, rust can pit and alter a surface unevenly as well. So you've basically got a screwed up surface against a screwed up clutch being pinched by a pressure plate that is likely the least screwed up, for now.

I can guarantee it's all coming back out because the clutch is getting hammered by all the chatter. Either the friction surface will give up, or some other mechanical linkage in the chain will. Take the first opportunity you get to take the car out of service and have the flywheel resurfaced. A new clutch and PP wouldn't be a bad bet at that point either.

I've been driving mostly stick since 1970. I have mixed and matched all kinds of clutch parts. I have treated that stuff real bad,allbeit mostly on the street. I have taken the clutches out and seen the worst kind of bluing, cracking, and funny looking sun-spots that you can imagine, on the factory flywheels.They shone all kinds of colors back at me and looked like serpent scales.
But I've never had a clutch chatter on me.And I only ever resurfaced one.....Just because it was out
I think your springs have gone soft. By any chance,did you put a teener disc in there;cuz those hub-springs are pretty soft. My 360 can spit those out in just a short time. And I don't use 3-finger clutches anymore.
But I have to agree with others; cuz I have changed out that stuff for others, and with a resurfaced flywheel,and a new pilot bushing,all was good again.
I don't think there is any other cure for it, except to pull it out, resurface it and replace the complete clutch;unless you can find someone to reface the pp too;but I bet it would be cheaper to just replace it.I've had good success with new Chrysler 340 discs,on the street, and with a CFII pressure plate.I did not like the CFII disc. It broke stuff.But it chirped the tires real good into 3rd at 80plus mph,with new 295s, behind my little 367.

Thanks all.this is a 3 finger pressure plate ,when installing it to flywheel on the floor ,1 of the fingers kept falling out of its slot .
I've never had this problem before .I think we got it correct but now I wonder. This 3 finger type is junk in my opinion

My shop will be open this weekend .I'm gonna try to pull back out
Thanks all

Thanks all.this is a 3 finger pressure plate ,when installing it to flywheel on the floor ,1 of the fingers kept falling out of its slot .

bAD NEWS
To think that ALL three-finger clutches are junk,is like saying all people are stupid,ignorant or lazy. Some might be, but by and large,we/they are not.
You just didn't know yours was busted. You won't make that mistake again.and that's how a lot of learning is done.
Cheer-up; it's only time.

Fly wheel surfaced .it was warped
Going in with new clutch kit
This weekend

Late to the party. Quite a bit of work to replace a clutch and not do the job properly. Surface the flywheel. It's part of a complete clutch job. I wouldn't do a oil change and not replace the filter. RRR and the others are spot on.

Update .the 3 finger clutch was defective in the ball socket
Flywheel got surfaced but was probably not the problem
Clutch is very smooth now thanks all

-
Back