Frakin' Colorado Wind!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
We had some ferocious winds last night and they took out my West privacy fence. Snapped the 4x4 posts right off. I have insurance but don't want to use it for this. We were only supposed to get .5" of snow last night and got 5" and it's still snowing. :violent1:

Pictures to come.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your fence , back in the fist of December they said we had a snow on its way here and we can ecpect 2 inches of accumulation .. We got 7 1/2"

Waiting for pics, sorry to hear Joe, boy am I glad we are back home from our trip there!!

As a lot of us know, Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress, lol. Where did you all go? Out for some skiing?

Here's the damage..... I gotta call the fence company and get an estimate, damn it.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 193
Funny though, I did notice it bowing in a strong wind a bit about a month ago and thought "I really ought to check that out before we get the big spring winds", but I put it off because the posts were on the neighbor side.

Dang Joe I feel your pain. We had some wind last night, but nothing like you guys. That looks like something that you can handle, unless half of it belongs to the neighbors.

Dang Joe I feel your pain. We had some wind last night, but nothing like you guys. That looks like something that you can handle, unless half of it belongs to the neighbors.

Pretty sure it's all mine since the finished side faces my property. Problem is, I'm going out of town next week for business.

I might be able to do it myself if the ground isn't too frozen, but I've never done a big panel fence like that.

BTW, found a bunch of the neighbors lawn furniture stacked up against my other cyclone fence. The wind was really, really howling last night. I'm guessing 80-90 mph.

Hopefully your neighbor will share the cost with you Joe. When I got an estimate a while back labor and materials was $35 a foot cedar! Ouch!

ya man, it is an ice skating rink and the wind has been snapping and up-rooting big *** trees over here just south of you. power outages and the whole bit

We had some wind yesterday as well, nothing like that though.....

Hopefully your neighbor will share the cost with you Joe. When I got an estimate a while back labor and materials was $35 a foot cedar! Ouch!

That's a hard thing to ask. I know he benefits from it since he has dogs too but it's truly not his responsibility. Yeah, it's not cheap....

ya man, it is an ice skating rink and the wind has been snapping and up-rooting big *** trees over here just south of you. power outages and the whole bit

Snowing like crazy out here now. These weather people are clueless. My power was freaking out last night so I shut everthing down except for the basics.

I was actually down in the Springs twice yesterday for work. Fighting these winds in the fullsize van was zero fun.

Just saw video this morning of a kid getting blown off his feet at a bus stop:eek:

On the US news yesterday it was saying 88mph sustained winds in parts of Colorado.. thats damn near hurricane force (or maybe it is).

Glad it was only a post or two.

Grant

Where I live we allways build fences finished side out... If the posts are on my side it's my fence, if there on the neighbors side it's theirs... something to think about if it was there when you bought the place.

We were on top of Red Cone in Colorado in our 4x4s with 80+ mph winds blowing. I thought we were going to get blown off the thing! Not cool!!

Awwwwwww that sucks Joe! I'll bet the dogs are mad they have to stay inside too.

Yeah, judging from the pics, the dogs are probably looking outside and saying "Nah, I'm good, you can go out".

Is there anyway of shoring that fence up until you get back and can concentrate better on it?

Where I live we allways build fences finished side out... If the posts are on my side it's my fence, if there on the neighbors side it's theirs... something to think about if it was there when you bought the place.

Different laws here regarding fences. Building permits are required and you build finished side out regardless of whether you build on property line or on your side of the property line. But who gets permits for fences anyway...lol

We had a gust of 93mph here in Lyons yesterday. Also had a wildfire start up about 6pm about 2 miles from us because of a downed power line.
Amazing job by the fire fighters, it only burned 20 acres before they contained it. Thats prettty good with the wind pushing the fire.

p.s. we only got about 1" of snow overnight, not snowing now

Those "solid" fences never last more than a few years before they get knocked down - why bother replacing it? Worst kind of fence to keep a dawg behind anyways as they cannot see past it which I think drives them nuts.

Just saw video this morning of a kid getting blown off his feet at a bus stop:eek:

I saw that too, it was awesome... :D

On the US news yesterday it was saying 88mph sustained winds in parts of Colorado.. thats damn near hurricane force (or maybe it is).

Glad it was only a post or two.

Grant

Thanks Grant, it could've been worse. House is fine, fence, not so much.

Posts on my property, it's my fence.

Awwwwwww that sucks Joe! I'll bet the dogs are mad they have to stay inside too.

Dogs have a seperate fenced in area, but on the way there they can get out. Merlin decided he'd "Meet the Neighbors", went through there dog door before I could stop him, and flopped down on their couch... Thank Goodness they have a sense of humour. :eek:ops:

We were on top of Red Cone in Colorado in our 4x4s with 80+ mph winds blowing. I thought we were going to get blown off the thing! Not cool!!

That would be a bad place to get blown off of. :D

Yeah, judging from the pics, the dogs are probably looking outside and saying "Nah, I'm good, you can go out".

Is there anyway of shoring that fence up until you get back and can concentrate better on it?

No real issue unless Merllin decides to go "visit". :-\"

Different laws here regarding fences. Building permits are required and you build finished side out regardless of whether you build on property line or on your side of the property line. But who gets permits for fences anyway...lol

I don't think the previous owner got a permit.... From talking to the enighbor, he went on vacation and came home to a big fence, lol.

Big bummer Joe! But as you said, it sure has been windy. Got about 6" here in Evergreen and the sun is now out!

I sure hope the weather gets nicer on Saturday so I can do some cleanup. It looks like crap right now.

I feel your pain Joe!

Wow! You guys got hit hard too.

We had a gust of 93mph here in Lyons yesterday. Also had a wildfire start up about 6pm about 2 miles from us because of a downed power line.
Amazing job by the fire fighters, it only burned 20 acres before they contained it. Thats prettty good with the wind pushing the fire.

p.s. we only got about 1" of snow overnight, not snowing now

The firefighters here Rock! Glad to hear you didn't get hit too hard with snow.

That about sums it up.

Those "solid" fences never last more than a few years before they get knocked down - why bother replacing it? Worst kind of fence to keep a dawg behind anyways as they cannot see past it which I think drives them nuts.

Great point airwoofer. I spoke with the neighbor about changing it up to a 6' chain link and he was all for it. I figure if I change it out, I'll never have to mess with it again, ever. Nieghbor's a great guy, used to roadrace motorcycles and was a motorcycle mechanic before getting into his present line of work.

DANG im glad im not the only who noticed the colorado winds.....LOL....im down here south of Colorado Springs and the winds have been unbearable......it was 52 degrees this morning at 3 a.m. then the winds kicked up really really bad and in an hour the temp had dropped to 31 and an hour after that everything was covered in snow.

-
Back