Fuel tank venting

-

Dusted73

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with fold down rear seat, getting ready to layout the fuel system and was wondering the best way to vent it. The car was gutted when I got it so all the factory stuff is gone. Should I get a sending unit with 3 ports, supply return and vent or put a bulk head fitting in the top of my filler neck and loop a line back down through my trunk and attach it near my rear shock mount for a vent?

vent or put a bulk head fitting in the top of my filler neck and loop a line back down through my trunk and attach it near my rear shock mount for a vent
That's how the factory did it in 67. It might be you have a venterd cap?

If you have the skill I would duplicate the non evap AKA 70/ earlier setup. Braze or otherwise install a fitting up high in the filler tube, bring it up high in an upside down "U" near the top of the fender and back down the tube through the trunk floor gasket

The original vent was the 1/4" tube going clear up into the engine bay and connecting into the "carbon can" evap control system

2cmugso-jpg-jpg.jpg

I have a 73 duster with fold down rear seat, getting ready to layout the fuel system and was wondering the best way to vent it. The car was gutted when I got it so all the factory stuff is gone. Should I get a sending unit with 3 ports, supply return and vent or put a bulk head fitting in the top of my filler neck and loop a line back down through my trunk and attach it near my rear shock mount for a vent?
As mentioned above, I would go with the original vent tube into the engine bay and connect it to the "carbon can" system. The carb would vent to it too. I would go that route, you just need the second fuel line.

IMG_0044.JPG

As mentioned above, I would go with the original vent tube into the engine bay and connect it to the "carbon can" system. The carb would vent to it too. I would go that route, you just need the second fuel line.

View attachment 1716064386
There are 3 tubes in your pic, 1 from the filler neck or tank, 1 to the carb or intake cover. Where does the 3rd go?

There are 3 tubes in your pic, 1 from the filler neck or tank, 1 to the carb or intake cover. Where does the 3rd go?
Sorry, it has taken this long, I was away. Here's a page from the tech book.

Canister.jpg

Sorry, it has taken this long, I was away. Here's a page from the tech book.

View attachment 1716069757
That may or may not be correct IT IS SO FUZZY I cannot read it. Go to MyMopar.com. Download the FREE 73 service manual, WHICH GOT THERE because of GUYS RIGHT HERE

The service manuals over the years have sections on fuel, the tank, and emissions which lay out how these were put together and how they worked.

THE 1/4" line coming up from IS THE VENT. There IS NO VENTED cap, that is, not operationally. The cap has pressure/ vacuum pressure relief valves, they are NOT vents. Be careful of caps. They changed nearly every year after the evap stuff got rolling

Post no2

fuelcaps.jpg

Sorry about the pic I sent. Here's the pdf format.

Attachments

• Canister.pdf
    975 KB · Views: 80
-
Back