What is the difference between all the A body gas caps????

-

duster360

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts on here about this year gas cap and that year gas cap. Is there really a difference between the A body gas caps. Mostly curious about the '67 and up caps.

left to right 67 - 70, 71, 72 - 73, 74 - 76 unleaded only servicable

Attachments

• DSCF2699.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 443
Thanks Oldmanmopar. That was an awesome response. Don't get any better than that.

Thanks Oldmanmopar. That was an awesome response. Don't get any better than that.

Yeah, it do: the "1971" cap is really '70 California + early '71 50-state/Canada, and late '71 through '76 caps are interchangeable, and '60-'66 A-body caps are a group unto themselves.

Yeah, it do: the "1971" cap is really '70 California + early '71 50-state/Canada, and late '71 through '76 caps are interchangeable, and '60-'66 A-body caps are a group unto themselves.
X2. Here in Ca. there was an early '70 cap (before 1/1/70) and a late '70 cap which was like the '71.

Here in Ca. there was an early '70 cap (before 1/1/70) and a late '70 cap which was like the '71.

There are two '70 caps. Difference is not early vs. late, it is with vs. without evaporative emission control system, which was required in California for '70, rest of USA for '71. The '70 California cap is same as the 50-state/Canada early '71 cap. The late '71 50-state/Canada cap is same as the '72-'76 cap.

Trivia.. Who really knows

Why were the caps different in 71?

What was the tube in the trunk for on all unibody 71's?

Why was it discontinied in 72?

What did the dome light have to do with the removeal of the system ?

Why were the caps different in 71?

A second set of tangs was added to the cap, and a pair of matching cam ramps to the filler tube, to provide a "first stop" position as the cap is removed to relieve built-up fuel tank pressure without risk of liquid fuel splashout.

What was the tube in the trunk for on all unibody 71's? Why was it discontinied in 72?

…and on California '70s. See here.

What did the dome light have to do with the removeal of the system ?

Nothing at all. The dome (top) of the fuel tank was changed for '72 to eliminate the need for the secondary internal chamber in the '71 (+'70 California) tanks.

It's strange; 70 Duster, early 70's, wife bought a locking cap. I hated it. Bought, maybe, a 73 from the junkyard, looked the same, but needed filing. Wagon came over here to get parts, told me that years differed. Go figure.

Fuel Vapor Containment Collision Impact Protection. That cap isn't on that tube for periodic mantenance. The tube is strapped down like a cannon.

My hoses will be filled and blocked off but will remain there for appearance. I will use a 70 tube and cap on my 71 Duster. Just like I have on my current 71 Duster

-
Back