Gas price going up // Rethinking the new project car

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
in a 2 500 pounds valiant i think it will kick *** and be cheap.
The engine/trans/P-shaft/and rearend are an easy 1000 , Your exhaust with headers is about 110, suspension/steering/brakes/and K-member, gotta be 500, bumpers and brackets pushing 100, heater/rad/and water 100, Wheels and tires 150 or more,
That leaves 540 for the driver/body/interior/glass/kick-azz stereo/ and the 30pounds of air per tire,lol..
Ok good luck with that 2500 pound target.

Been running one for years and no problems so far
You're a lucky guy. All it takes is a momentary lapse, going into "fourth".
Here's how I broke one of mine;
With 3.55s I can hit 65@ 5500 at the top of Second gear. So showing off, I floored it. and about 4/5 seconds later that's cruising speed, so I skipped Third, and stuffed it into "fourth", and Zing; the flywheel tore em'all off.
So what I'm saying is; it ain't how much engine you have or don't have. In this case the throttles were closed, and the rpm was falling.

With 3.55s I can hit 65@ 5500 at the top of Second gear. So showing off, I floored it. and about 4/5 seconds later that's cruising speed, so I skipped Third, and stuffed it into "fourth", and Zing; the flywheel tore em'all off.
So what I'm saying is; it ain't how much engine you have or don't have. In this case the throttles were closed, and the rpm was falling.
In a 69 valiant...dont worry , my 76 duster dropped from 3400 to 2800 pounds , and this one will drop from 2990 to 2 500ishh , youre very good on calculations , losing weight on my car , leave it to me !

Ah, that’s the difference. I have treated 4th like it was glass. But it is a good reminder.

BTW

In 1967 you could get gas for $0.33

In today's dollars that would be $2.75, tack on 1.00 in taxes and fees, $3.75 per gallon. It's really about the same.

Gas through our A body years 1960 Thru 76 was between 30 and 40 cents per gallon then in 75-76 it jumped to 50+ per gallon.

Fact #741: August 20, 2012 Historical Gasoline Prices, 1929-2011
Right you are. When I got out of the Air Force, I went back to school to get an MBA and in one of my classes, I heard a bout a guy who wrote a master's thesis named something like, "The Big Mac Link". He tied almost everything over a 40 year period to the price of the Big Mac. Over the years, a big mac has gone from, what, 39 cents to about $4. Lots of other things had price increases that closely mirrored the Big Mac.

I was in hi-school in 1969, and pumping gas in the off-hours, Gas was.37 per gallonC. and I was making 1.35/hr; so that's 3.64gallons per hour worked.

today, a gallon costs me 6.83, and so to be even, I should be getting paid 24.86 per hour..... to pump gas.
Yeah right.............. minimum wage is about half of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back