Good Morning!

-

sharpsjt

Reaction score
New guy checking in! Some of the people over at slantsix recommended FABO, so I'm checking it out. I am working a 69 Plymouth Valiant 4dr.

Currently, I'm trying to switch from a slant six (because it's trashed) to a 318. I know I'll need motor mounts and a radiator, but I can't seem to find what I need with the trans swap. Will I need a different driveshaft going from a 904 to a 727?

I don't intend to race my car-beyond the I-95 road rally all of CT seems to have- so how soon am I likely to destroy a 7 1/4" rear end? I'm hoping to make the rear last six months-am I dreaming?

Thanks all! Hope I can use the search and find my answers now...

Jon

Welcome. The K frame for a slant and a V8 may be different for that year and you will either have to change it or get a motor mount kit. I yield to the expert opinion of others who may be more knowledgeable on your model though.
With sensible driving, the 7.25 should hold up just fine. My 66 Barracuda still has the original rear in it.

Welcome to FABO!!

If you like slants, I say buy the shaumaker(sp???) coversion mounts for the slant to v8 conversion. That way, if you ever wanna go back to the slant, it wont take you long at all and you still have your original K-frame.
The 7 1/4 should live behind it well as long as you drive her gentle and don't get on it too hard. Id personally go with an 8.25" as it is a big piece of mind because that will indefinately handle it

Once again, welcome to FABO! and I hope someone fixes my spelling. lol

Welcome to FABO! You will need a shorter driveshaft to go from a 904 to a 727 or shorten the one you have. The rear end may last a while depending on how much HP the motor has but also, and more importint on how you drive it. Should last more than 6 months if you take it easy on it. Good luck on your build.

Welcome to the site sharpsjt!
A lot of 318 cars came with the 7 1/4" rear so that won't be a problem unless you like to abuse the car and try to hook up with big tires......
The 727 is definitely longer so a different drive shaft or shorten yours is in order.
To mount the engine, use shumacher conversion mounts or find a V8 k member '68 to '72 or if you want to go with spool mounts, a V8 k member from '73 to '76 with the bbp disc brakes would be the way to go in the long run. The factory 9" brakes you have aren't very good for a V8 car and are barely adequate for a /6 car. At least convert to 10" drums.
Don't forget to upgrade your torsion bars and cooling system too.
Why not use a V8 904 behing the 318 and you will not have to worry about driveshaft lengths?
Actually, the best way to do this is to find a donor car that has all of the parts you need to do this swap. You'll be money ahead in the long run, believe me!
Actually, i have a soft spot for '69 Valiants, i've got 3 of 'em.
How about some pics? We love pics!

Thanks for the welcome, all!

BBP 10" discs were the first thing I did up front. Like the saying goes,"It don't matter how fast you can go; unless you can stop, you're still roadkill." One of the speed-shop guys up here is big on that one...

So aside from a Schumaker kit for the motor mounts, I'm looking at a new radiator and exhaust. Hopefully the transmission that comes with it is a 904, so I don't have to worry about driveshafts. Any other parts that you guys can think of?

Could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure the Schumaker kit requires some cutting on the driver's side mount, so I don't think you can go back once you swap the v8 in. Just an FYI.

-
Back