got a 360 build finally

-

duster wonder

National Guard Member
Reaction score
havnt ben on here for a while due to guard training

anyhow got my block and sparkly stuff from the machine guy

.30 over kb 107's and full comp cams valve train (20-222-3)
duration 262/270, Lift .462/.470 dual pattern, trick flow pushrods n springs n what not

clevite bearings are in a box on the way and i cannot wait to start

looking for any tips? secret hp adders? i know some of you have a few haha

Attachments

• 2012-06-25 17.24.57.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 759
  • 2012-05-02 21.16.37.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 780
Did you balance the rotating assembly? Wash everything twice and use a lot of assembly lube. Keep everything spotless! Lube the cylinders with trans fluid when you install the pistons. Have the machine shop match the pistons to the rods (weight balance) and mark the cylinders they go to. That saves a lot of time.

I'm guessing that is a kit that came from Comp. It probably doesn't have a double roller timing chain so I would get one of those.

im assuming he balanced them but i will check

any reason for trans fluid in the piston holes?

Make sure the top of the cylinders have a nice beveled edge or you will bend the rings when you put the pistons in.

I sprayed my cylinder walls down with WD-40. I also dipped my pistons into a container of clean oil before installing.

little update crank n pistons are in, slamming the valvetrain in later today, heads were finished went with stock valve size but 4 header bolts broke so those are goin right back to the machine shop.

is checking the push rod length critical? comp has instructions on how to check but since the only thing different sized is the cam should i check anyhow? (using original rockers are in good shape)

now deciding on whether to lift the motor out or lift the car off the k member

little update crank n pistons are in, slamming the valvetrain in later today, heads were finished went with stock valve size but 4 header bolts broke so those are goin right back to the machine shop.

is checking the push rod length critical? comp has instructions on how to check but since the only thing different sized is the cam should i check anyhow? (using original rockers are in good shape)

now deciding on whether to lift the motor out or lift the car off the k member

You might be able to get away with just checking the lifter pre-load once the rockers are tightened, what kind of rockers are you using?

I've put a motor in both ways, I think lifting the car over the engine/K-frame is easier esp. if you have the engine and trans bolted together. That's the way the factory did it after all...

Have fun with that combo when you get it done! Give us an update on how well it runs.

Thanks for serving this great nation. We appreciate your sacrafices.

In the small block section,there is a sticky thread about engine building tips,check it out.

Make sure all your oil plugs are in where they should be!!! Triple check, nothing sucks worse than having no oil pressure at start up and realize you have to pull engine to install one or more.

Good luck!

update, well not really an update ben pretty lazy with my motor. my silly engine stand only has 3 arms to hold to the motor, so i need to make one more so it doesnt fall off when i put the 500 pound heads on

have ben putting time into my atv and camping stuff so the poor duster hasnt ben drivin in a few weeks, but i am saving a lot of gas haha

well update and all is good. finally riped out the 318 after realizing the starter and a little dirt shield needed to come off

360's ready just need torque converter flex plate n a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, lucked out on the fuel pump looks new

goin to germany in october so november that monster is goin in!!

Attachments

• 2012-09-26 10.37.08.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 466
  • 2012-09-29 17.28.20.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 497
update... ready to go in!! looks sexy :prayer:

acc boss hog 2200-2800 convertor, bosch starter, street fire wires, v groove plugs, and some oil

droping it in monday or tuesday. however due to deer season not sure if it will fire up before or after huntin time :happy1:

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 401
update!!! its all in!!! even fired it up!!!

well sorta. those dam header bolts that go into water jackets leaked so now im waiting for the thread sealer to dry. also had the thermostat leak a bit.

seems like one cylinder is off, but havnt got the timing perfect yet. sounds like a beast though!!

after letting those dam header bolts dry up and turning the "oil pump shaft" over one gear went and drove it around. runs really nice, except a exhaust leak and the tranny is still tryin to burp out all the bubbles.

thanks to everyone who helped with this motor.

but, now theres still a bunch of other stuff to take care of haha

sure did. have some other stuff to mess with yet but its nice to have a car that starts right

update, after fixing some pesky header bolt leaks and figuring out it was only on 7 cylinders (smashed spark plug), and figuring out timing this thing does pretty good. definetly can tell it needs some electronics upgrading, and would love to throw it on a dyno. easily burns up rubber, dont have to touch the brakes at all to make smoke. starts right up in the cold (kinda)

but damit, its really nice outside and well its in the garage. rebuilt all its front suspension so alignment shop it is

-
Back