Got an LD4B, what carb to use?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Snagged an Edelbrock LD4B off e-bay for a steal. Now I need to know what carb to put on it.
It will be going on my '71 318, automatic, 3.23:1 sure-grip, electronic ignition (orange box), factory manifolds, with FlowMaster 40s, and 2 1/4" pipes.
Found an Edelbrock 1406 on local site (4,000 miles for $140). I'm leaning toward purchasing it because everything I've heard/read says it'll be a good match. Carburetors are like "black magic" to me. I've never had much luck/skill with tuning/rebuilding. Thats why I thought the 1406 would be good for me. Simple to adjust/work on/set it and forget it.
I've heard small bowls causes fuel evaporation/boiling so a spacer is recommended/required. 4-hole or open? How thick 1/2", 1", 2" can I afford without hood clearance issues?
Please share your details!!

Thanks as always,

Dan

I just switched to a 1406 and it works beautifully. The Holley 4160 that it replaced worked very well, but the 1406 is almost eerily smooth in operation.

Not sure if your available vertical space will be the same as with my '73 Swinger, but I've got an LD4B, 1" spacer (go with a 4-hole), and a drop-base filter w/ 3" element (that has been dropped an additional 1/2" for clearance purposes). The wingnut is just poking the underhood insulation while the rest of the air cleaner isn't making contact.

You should be able to skip the spacer in favor of a thicker carb gasket. Edelbrock sells a open (Not what you need) and a split divider (What you want) thick carb gasket that will help insulate the carb from excess heat.
There approx. .333 thick and come with 4 slightly longer studs (and buts and washers.) Very unlike like the paper thin gaskets normally sold.

Been there done that, worked great for me.

OH, I have used both the 4160 Holley and the Edelbrock/Carter 600/625 cfm carbs. Both are excellent and well suited for this intake on a 318 or mild 360.

Eddy 1406 would be perfect. Carter 9636 would be a good second choice. A Holley 1850 would do just fine too.

Moroso used to make a heat isolator setup that was 4 pieces of sheet metal and 5 gaskets. It was only like 3/8" total thickness and worked well on my old Wagoneer which was a heat soaking monster. Any 1/2" phenolic spacer should do the trick, but make sure you actually have a problem before you go nuts trying to solve it. You'll probably be fine.

Hey Cheif. Long time no see. Hows tricks.

I was running that carb (9636) until just recently. I used theEdelbrock gasket with much success. The Holley was good too.

Does that LD have a small notch in the devider? Gives a little more top end if you cut one. The Carter design idles great and has a very smooth throttle response. The Holley will give you a little more up top, but the Carter will have better street manners down low. My .02

pishta, how you doin? Haven't seen ya in a while.

The LD4B does not have a notch in the divider. I don't think it'll really help so much on the mild build. It may - it may not. I wouldn't bother going through the hassle.

I used the Edelbrock 1406, 600 cfm, on an LD4B and it worked beautifully.

Me also. :)

DSCN2084Medium.JPG

-
Back