Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Sunday afternoon I talk the wife into taking the kids for a walk on her company tree farm. I brought my Ugartechea 28ga side by side in case we see a grouse or the 5 yo want to try. It’s smaller than his BB gun but not a lot of knock down power. I can’t count how high the odds were against seeing anything much less shooting anything.

304B8A6D-14F9-4427-A345-6237C14D62EF.jpeg

Sometimes the planets just line up for ya. Everyone had a great time to boot!

Sunday afternoon I talk the wife into taking the kids for a walk on her company tree farm. I brought my Ugartechea 28ga side by side in case we see a grouse or the 5 yo want to try. It’s smaller than his BB gun but not a lot of knock down power. I can’t count how high the odds were against seeing anything much less shooting anything.

View attachment 1716150056
Sometimes the planets just line up for ya. Everyone had a great time to boot!
I am going to blatantly save and steal that picture. Holy smokes it looks like it should be in a sales brochure! I love 28 ga. I sold mine a few years back to a gentleman that simply had to have it. I kept my MEC reloader in 28 tho figuring I would end up with one again. It is just a great round. Thanks for the picturel it is amazing. Our boy recently went on a dove hunt with his wife. He was swinging a very nice Ithaca double in twenty that has been passed down in our family for four generations. He is thrilled to carry it. Makes my heart sing.

So to all you DIY guys out there. I have an old 686 silhouette that is rocking some seventies vintage pachmeyers. They have lost their luster shall we say. Replacements are 40-50 bucks. Anyone know of any tricks to revitalize them? I thought about armor all but figured I would Never be able to shoot it again being so slippery! You ever put that stuff on your seat? you hang on to steering wheel for dear life!

Might try some polishing compound on the areas that aren't checkered? Maybe start with 600/800 grit paper and progress to 2000, then the polishing compound. That's how I do headlight lenses and it works good. Looks ugly for a while until you get to the finer stuff. Try on the inside surface first. Don't know what material the grip are but mechanical means is the only way I would try it.

Good to see arms producers finding friendly environs to do work.

SIG Sauer expansion bringing 625 jobs to Arkansas
Yep! As a sponsored shooter I get to pick what brand I want to shoot. I shoot Sigs! (In modern competition!) Arkansas is one of the Nations leaders in the Firearms industry. Makes us proud. We are the home of SIG, Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, Thor (only a few will recognize but trust me they make stuff!) Cooper Rifles, yes that Cooper. Nighthawk bought them out! I can go on and on but those are for the most part the most recognizable ones. Our State courts the Industry. Great cost of living, strong labor force, cheap land prices. Not that I am biased or anything!
OooooooooooPigSouieeee

I like 7.62, and found a carbine without the heft. POF Revolution. I have a piston version, and it handles like an AR. I haven't shot it at any real distance, yet.....but I'm sure it'll be fine for anything I'll be doing.
I've since sold the Vortex scope. It just didn't do anything for me.

POF 2.jpg

POF 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old 686 silhouette that is rocking some seventies vintage pachmeyers. They have lost their luster shall we say. Replacements are 40-50 bucks. Anyone know of any tricks to revitalize them? I thought about armor all but figured I would Never be able to shoot it again being so slippery!
Gzig5 is probably correct that the safest route is not play chemist.
That said, wintergreen extract (methyl salicylate) would be worth looking into if you wanted to experiment. Much safer might be Ru-glyde which as far as I can tell is a soap. Used to come in small cans claiming it restores rubber - now only available in gallons for mounting tires.
After all that, probably do just as well to watch ebay for new old or barely used. Seems like a couple sellers specialize in stuff like that Roberts Trading Post for example.

Good article here on gutta purcha, hard rubber and synthetic grips/stocks

Last edited:
Honestly had not heard of the company before the article. Appears they are located outside of Philly in PA. Big score for what appears to be a fairly small operation. Operator swappable to 7.62... not so sure about that.

View attachment 1716150959

USSOCOM's New Sniper Rifle Contract Goes to Geissele Automatics | SOFX
I would guess that they used all their years of experience being the “go to” guys for drop in triggers on AR platform as a launch point. Their trigger assemblies are industry leading and have been for years. I know absolutely zero about their rifle kits.

I would guess that they used all their years of experience being the “go to” guys for drop in triggers on AR platform as a launch point. Their trigger assemblies are industry leading and have been for years. I know absolutely zero about their rifle kits.

They show a variant of that rifle on the site for $6,300 (Out of Stock)

They show a variant of that rifle on the site for $6,300 (Out of Stock)
You can build 2-3 killer rifles for that kinda coin. Just like all the car hobby...a lot of the brand-name billet parts, serve no real purpose, other than to say it's billet and get in your pocket. Men's Barbies....so to speak.

Firearms are like any other hobby. It takes years and countless rounds to get really good. It's also a perishable skill. A thousand-dollar mil-spec AR will outshoot 95%+ of it's owners.
Most of my rifles will outshoot me, on any given day. I like to stay "proficient".

Firearms are like any other hobby. It takes years and countless rounds to get really good. It's also a perishable skill. A thousand-dollar mil-spec AR will outshoot 95%+ of it's owners.
Most of my rifles will outshoot me, on any given day. I like to stay "proficient".

I used to tell my students that very thing. Worst thing for that precision rifle is you touching it :D

I have won the fifty yard black (club level) rifle Title three years running with a bone stock straight out of the box Daniel Defense rifle. I shoot against a whole bunch of guys with zillion dollar purpose built match rifles. Including bubbles for level etc etc. The cone of deviation I contribute to the rifle is far more than any variance or deviation my rifle contributes. Hah! To the previous two posts points, most any decent firearm manufacturer today produces a firearm that is essentially far more accurate than the nut behind the wheel. The quality control and reliability we enjoy in modern firearms today is unparalleled.(not talking hi point here) The days of a fancy custom rifle shooting circles around a factory rifle are long gone. There are a multitude of Companies today building sub one rifles and guaranteeing same. It amazes me.

I'm not saying that having a "designer" or hi-end "frankenrifle" is bad.....I've built some silly ones. They're yours for life, unless somebody has to have it.
All Noveske and MAGPUL, BOBRO bipod, and low TITAN irons.
100_3811.jpg

I'm not saying that having a "designer" or hi-end "frankenrifle" is bad.....I've built some silly ones. They're yours for life, unless somebody has to have it.
All Noveske and MAGPUL, BOBRO bipod, and low TITAN irons.
View attachment 1716151019
I think I am glad you live so far away, clearly you are a bad influence. Hah! I could see all kind of horse trading if you lived closer!

So here is the beater 686. It lived most of its life underneath a truck seat sans the case. I never even thought to take a before picture. Man it was rough. What I ended up doing was using Armor All tire cleaner on the grips. They were that bad. I figured zero real risk. I ruin them I am buying a used set at next show. Worst case scenario I buy a new set for forty some bucks (I think). They turned out ok but if you look close you can still see the deteriorating rubber. I have been cleaning this pistol on and off for a couple of weeks.

IMG_4142.jpeg

So here is the beater 686. It lived most of its life underneath a truck seat sans the case. I never even thought to take a before picture. Man it was rough. What I ended up doing was using Armor All tire cleaner on the grips. They were that bad. I figured zero real risk. I ruin them I am buying a used set at next show. Worst case scenario I buy a new set for forty some bucks (I think). They turned out ok but if you look close you can still see the deteriorating rubber. I have been cleaning this pistol on and off for a couple of weeks.

View attachment 1716151372
Great handgun

-
Back