Harbor Freight Tool

-
You think being ******* hateful to me was constructive? I was actually jokin around with my "Harbor Freight sucks" post. I think yall need to lighten up a bit. Carry on. You can do it without me.

Just keep those Lisa Ann/Palin sigs coming! Half the guys here cant/dont take sarcasm well. Its like the HF crap shoot. Some get it, some dont.

My HF success story is their black impact 1/2 drive deep sockets. 14 bucks for a set of 8 and I havent broken one yet. Now their brake line bender, the black one with the long skinny handles; they break at the handle, I got a nasty cut when one snapped. got a free exchange and a scar. Screwdriver's are disposable. Either they turn in the handles or the tip breaks in half. I really like their tiny jewelers screwdrivers, the orange ones in the flip open case. I have bought 4 sets at $2.88 a pop not because I break them, I keep misplacing them when I repair cameras or put batteries in all my kids toys. Their "thunderbolt" Alkaline batteries are not good. The sawzall blades I buy there are never HF brand, but some swiss made bi metal brand. Seem to work OK for me.

Some of HF stuff does the job pretty well.
Some doesn't.

I've had good luck with:
  • Transmission Jack (just keep the screw that jacks it up and down well greased).
  • Jack stands (both large and small).
  • Sheet Metal Pneumatic Nibbler.
  • Sheet Metal Pneumatic Saw.
  • HVLP Gun Set.
  • The more expensive Sawz-All.
  • 1000 Lb. Engine Stands (I weld all the joints).
  • 6" Orbital Sander for body work.
  • 7 piece Body Hammer and Dolly Kit.
  • Torque Sticks.
  • 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2" drive socket adapters to cap screw head (basically allows you to turn your socket with a open end wrench, great for tight places).
  • Fluid Transfer Pump.
  • Compression Tester.
  • Cylinder Leakdown Tester.
  • Brake Job Tools.
  • Brass punch.
  • Step drills (use oil when using).
  • Drill bits if you can sharpen drill bits or have a Drill Doctor.
  • Electrical connectors (use solder!).
  • Soldering gun kit.
  • Tanks for welder.
  • Heat gun.
  • Zip Ties.
  • Air Fittings (get the good "thick" ones).
  • Air Regulators.
  • Welding Wire.
  • Engine Hoist (Cherry Picker).

Tools I would not recommend:
  • Any die grinder, they never last.
  • Electric grinders.
  • Cordless rechargeable anything.
  • Any abrasives, they don't last. Worth spending the extra $0.20 on better 4" cutting discs at an abrasive store.
  • Impact sockets.
  • Screw drivers.
  • Pry Bars.
  • Ratchets.
  • Parts washing bin.
  • Electrical and duct tape.
  • Brake Bleeder / Vacuum gauge.
  • Ball peen hammers.
  • Drill Bit Sharpener

That's all I can think of for now...
There are just some tools that are worth getting there, and I have everything from Snap-On to Harbor Freight in my tools box and a few brands in between.

They keep the average Joe still wrenching and that is a-ok by me, just read reviews before buying... or this thread. :thumbup:

Twin cylinder air compressor #1 was defective and wouldn't shut off. It just kept running until the overpressure valve activated. Returned and they accidentally gave me $10 off the next one.
Twin cylinder compressor #2 has been quiet, runs cool, never lets me down. It was $90 with tax over 5 years ago. It's not many CFM and it's kinda heavy, but beats lugging around my V-twin Craftsman 60 gallon unit.
Wobble bar extensions have saved my *** so many times- was pulling a tranny on Mom's Ranger and had to use an HF 18" long 1/2" torque wrench, 1/2" wobble bar extension, 1/2" universal joint, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and finally a craftsman 3/8" socket. All other tools HF.
I had to push with my foot on the torque wrench so hard that a loud BANG occurred and immediately thought the HF stuff had broken.
I slid underneath the truck as bolts broke free. Yes both times.
The top two bellhousing bolts that were waaaay over torqued, Ford used RED LOCTITE. Turns out they did this to the upper intake manifold bolts too, which have to come out to do the spark plugs. Good gawd. 200k miles on the original plugs.
I've only broken a HF tool once, a wobble bar extension that I used incorrectly. Not their fault.
Their universal joints are amazing, I will say that!

Air tool couplers seem to work fine, along with blow down wands, etc. Better prices on these than Sears or Home Depot,etc. Have used their air tool oil with no problems on multiple tools. Battery trickle charger has worked well for over a year.

In case no one's mentioned it yet, some of the items you can buy at Harbor Freight are the exact same items Eastwood sells for 3-4 times the price. Paint stands, welding cart, a lot of their small welding supplies... I fell for Eastwood at first, buying some of their stuff, but then when I walked into HF and saw the identical things (even packaged the same), I wised up to them quick.

By the way, I got that same welding cart at Menard's for $40. HF sells it usually (on sale) for $50 and Eastwood for $60. Identical product in every way.

The "Professional" series composite air tools I've bought seem to work fine and made well for the price. On sale you can pick them up for $15-$20 each, which I think is a good value. I just got a couple of the metal-bodied ones on sale for $8 each and they don't seem to be made very well, we'll see. (usually I buy good tools, but for a few seldom-used ones, I'm taking a chance on the cheapies).

Good (for mr so far):

The cheapest aluminum floor jack they sell is good just wish it would lift higher.

Impact sockets have been good. Haven't broken one yet.

56" tool box is good

Pry bar set hasn't broke yet

Jack stands are good

Foldable engine hoist is good but not very stable

Engine stand is good mounted a 5.2 magnum no problem but bent handle when turning engine.

Spot weld cutters work good just keep spraying WD40 and don't get them too hot

I was given the cheapest wire welder they make and it wasn't bad. Just had a horrible duty cycle.

Bad:

Body hammer and dolly set sucks broke heads off two hammers

trickle charger worked for first two months or so then quit.

Drill bits suck (this is one area where you get what you pay for)

Other:

I would recommend Kobalt air tools (Lowes) and compressor. I haven't had a problem out of any of the air tools I've got from them. 60 gal 3.5hp compressor, 1/2" impact, 3/8" ratchet, air nibbler, air hammer, right angle die grinder, cut off wheel.

good for me:

6 ton jack stands
1000# engine stand (used for my 360)
piston ring installer
3 ton floor jack
auto darkening welding helmet
palm sander

so far the bad:
5 inch bench grinder (junk)

so far thats all i can think of.

had an oiless air compressor from someone else and blew the top off of it. and bought a belt driven as a replacement and havnt looked back since...

Stud Welder/Puller - had ~10 years and used on ~3 cars. Works best on newer cars w/ thinner sheet metal. Use the med or large studs on our 60's cars, but I still had to beat a dented door from the inside on my Newport. There is at least 1 video on YouTube showing how to use it. Looks like a high-end brand in the video, but otherwise identical to the HF one.

Wire-fed welder. Have the $90 on sale one. It does weld, but since no gas it spits more. I tried the aluminum wire once but it is too weak and kept twisting up in the feed. My main problem is seeing what I am welding. I have the HF auto-mask, but it seems too dark to see well even on the lightest setting.

I have been reading this thread and see that some are right, some are wrong. I have quite a lot of hand tools from HF. While you are in the store buying, you need to pay attention to the tool itself. Since I do a lot of offroading I don't take my good tools. I have put boxes together for all four of my trucks. Haven't left a truck on the the mountain in over 20 years. Basically, take your time,use them right, keep them clean, heavy on the throttle.

-
Back