Hardware Store Grade 8 Head Bolts

-

d100clubcab

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to putting my stock heads back on my 360 and seem to have misplaced the drivers side "long" (3 Long and 2 SUPER long) cylinder head bolts. I recall hearing about being able to go to Fastenal or Home Depot and picking up Grade 8 bolts and being OK.

Is there a specific model number to grab?
I know these long bolts aren't threaded to the top and they also have a small taper to them.

don't believe those will stay torqued in that hot/cold of the engine cycles . don't you have a self help boneyard near you , i'd got some head bolts from a motor or get some stock stuff from here in the sales ads .

If I couldn't find some just buy off a vender here or Summit, can get arp bolts for around $60 I think maybe a little more

Remember the head bolts are stretch torqued since going in three steps to torque them down. Grade 8 bolts I believe are not made to stretch.

I don't care if it was a 6:1 265 Chivvy. I would not put an engine together without proper head bolts.

Get a new set of correct head bolts. Reasons already stated are 100% valid.

I knew of one engine in the 80's that had them. You dont want to know. And no, he wasnt a very sharp guy. Hardware bolts are for building shelves, linking tow chains. There is a reason we dont have a bunch of threads stating "dude, I just saved a bunch on my build. I got my reciprocating hardware at True Value"!

Remember the head bolts are stretch torqued since going in three steps to torque them down. Grade 8 bolts I believe are not made to stretch.
To be clear, the Mopar SBM head bolts are not torque-to-yield bolts so they can be reused, though the can be stretched. They are not selected to stretch any more or less than any other grade 8 bolt with the same shank shape. Torquing in 3 steps has nothing to do with stretching the bolts but in getting even settling of the head onto the gasket.

These head bolts have specific shanks on them that are different from standard bolts; the super long one that goes through the oil passage through the head that feeds the rockers needs to be a specific diameter in that area of the shank to allow oil flow around it, so use the real head bolts, not store bought ones.

In this regard, the ARP head studs are .500" diameter in this area as opposed to the .420" of the standard or ARP head bolts, and so will effect oil flow to the heads to some degree. (It depends a lot on the other rocker oiling restrictions in the rocker system.)

OP, contact Whitepunkonnitro if you are OK with used ones.... he may be able to sell you some used ones that he has checked.

Thanks got these crossed with modern heads that are stretch. Thanks for clarifying it. My bad

don't believe those will stay torqued in that hot/cold of the engine cycles . don't you have a self help boneyard near you , i'd got some head bolts from a motor or get some stock stuff from here in the sales ads .

Anything older than a 1985 gets crushed within a week around Houston

Buy new head bolts.
Be a good time to stud the heads.

Not worth it on this engine to stud them.
This is a $200 stop gap just so I can move the truck around.

OP, contact Whitepunkonnitro if you are OK with used ones.... he may be able to sell you some used ones that he has checked.

Yeah WPN had sourced a set of springs or something for me about 6 months ago that I never needed because those heads were trash (or so says the machinist who I eventually had to abandon)

I wonder if they sell these things at Oreilly/Auto Zone?
I'd make the trip to the 24 Hrs Auto Zone but it's ligtning all around my house now.
As in 50 yards from me!!!

I knew of one engine in the 80's that had them. You dont want to know. And no, he wasnt a very sharp guy. Hardware bolts are for building shelves, linking tow chains. There is a reason we dont have a bunch of threads stating "dude, I just saved a bunch on my build. I got my reciprocating hardware at True Value"!

Actually Jim, they aren't even "for that." Years and years ago, deep in the bowels of 4X4s, our bunch was out with a guy not in the club. He got his CJ stuck in a creek, and my friend with a Bronceroid was going to tow him out. We were pretty "good" with nylon ropes back then, but we did not notice he hooked it to a chain around his bumper.....with a bolt through the chain.

The bronc had no top, and had a full cage. The bolt broke, and the rope and chain glanced off the top of the tailgate, hit the rear braces on the cage, and then hit Roger in the head. Turns out he was not hurt, but it DID knock him looney for a few minutes. Of course back then, in the seventies, we didn't know about the hidden dangers of concussion. "He was lucky."

I have the bolt you need, you want it? I have a complete set only tightened once from the factory. I can send you the complete set if you want.

I have the bolt you need, you want it?

Thanks for the offer.
Somebody has PM'd me offering the same.
If I don't get one from him I'll take you up on it.

I'm from San Diego/Oceanside by the way.
I've fished that little lagoon off Vista Way for over 20 years.
Caught I don't know how many sharks on the beach down in front of Snider/Sargent Industries (peee-YOU!!!!)

Thanks for the offer.
Somebody has PM'd me offering the same.
If I don't get one from him I'll take you up on it.

I'm from San Diego/Oceanside by the way.
I've fished that little lagoon off Vista Way for over 20 years.
Caught I don't know how many sharks on the beach down in front of Snider/Sargent Industries (peee-YOU!!!!)
How you wind up in beautiful Houston? Last year was a record year for sport fishing off O'Side.

Thanks got these crossed with modern heads that are stretch. Thanks for clarifying it. My bad
Roger..... I am no fan of TTY head bolts....but they do make for consistent clamping force if made with consistency and even clamping force all around...

I found that Fel-Pro makes a head bolt set for the 93+ Daktoa 318 so I was hoping they did the same for 74-84 LA 360 but am coming up blank.
I've went to 5 autoparts stores and 4 junkyards with no luck.

I wanted to get this knocked out over the long weekend but looks like I'll have to wait on the benevolence of forum members to send me those bolts.

I still can't believe I misplaced those bolts.
Only those 5.
I'm kicking myself because I think I left them in the head when I dropped it off to the machinist.
But that'd make no sense because they'd have been floating around in the holes.
Sheeez.

Also, the Dakota kit had the longest bolts match perfectly
But this corvette set had the shorter bolt match in length but they were noticiably skinnier (nor did this kit include the super long bolt)

Some times it sucks to drive a MoPar

I agree with what has been said, but imagine my suprise when I picked up a "R" block small block stroker engine built by stanton engines, and it has what looks like regular grade 8 gold colored head bolts. NOT factory bolts and NOT arp..... This was a 10k dollar mopar "crate" motor.

I agree with what has been said, but imagine my suprise when I picked up a "R" block small block stroker engine built by stanton engines, and it has what looks like regular grade 8 gold colored head bolts. NOT factory bolts and NOT arp..... This was a 10k dollar mopar "crate" motor.

Chevy guys and John Diesel tractor builders use plain ol Grade 8 bolts all the time.
But I don't like the fact there is a slight taper on these MoPar bolts.

The long bolt taper is there by design .... it is used to allow proper rocker oil flow in the oil passage hole. Chevy's and JD's do not have this 'feature'. And the taper is not the weak point anyway: the minor thread diameter is smaller and is a stress riser shape so that is the weakest point on all the bolts, tapered or not.

BTW, I don't think it'll blow up if you used standard grade 8 bolts. In your shoes, and if all I wanted to do was move the truck around, I'd assemble it with them for now IF they fit right, and then put in the OEM ones later. If this is a stock engine, I'd be willing pull them out one at a time later and replace.

1) Just measure the head depth at the head bolts and check that the grade 8 store bolts have thread far enough up the shank so that the end of the unthreaded shank is at least 1/8" above the bottom of the head when inserted, so the end of the threads doesn't jam down into the block and give you a false reading of being torqued properly. Typical graded fasteners only have 1" of threading.
2) Look at the head sizes and make sure they don't goof up the bosses in the tops of the heads; they may be too big. If you need flat washers, SAE sized ones are narrower.
3) Be aware that a long bolt with an untapered shank is going to reduce flow to the rockers somewhat. YMMV

Interesting.... Let hope they are not using Chinese grade 8's..... I think this has the magnum heads, right? If so, it oils the rockers through the pushrods so the straight shank bolts would not effect rocker oiling.

Interesting.... Let hope they are not using Chinese grade 8's..... I think this has the magnum heads, right? If so, it oils the rockers through the pushrods so the straight shank bolts would not effect rocker oiling.
No, it has the "LA" aluminum heads, but they are just edelbrocks with a mopar logo on the end. I was quite suprised, because it was my understanding that the edelbrock heads required a specific bolt or stud kit. Engine runs fine and has had no issues, was just supprised to see the bolts.

Last edited:
-
Back