Harmonic Balancers

-

66dartman

Reaction score
For my 408 build, I would like to use a good balancer. I am looking at the ATI & the Fluidamper brands. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on either brand? Do the stock pulleys bolt right up? I know they are both expensive, but I would rather get a good part that will last a few years.

I have an ATI super damper with a SBC pulley bolt pattern. It works great!...but the down side to using the SBC pulleys is you end up covering up the balancer bolt (for rotating the engine over by hand)…the up side is you have a VERY large variety of pulleys you can use that are CHEAP…Down side again, I still had to shim the pulley I got to make it line up with the water pump and alternator. You can order it with the Mopar pulley bolt pattern too if you like.

One other plus is it is rebuild able. When I built my stroker motor I used the ATI balancer from my 360 (cast crank external balance), sent it to ATI and they converted it to internal balance (for my forged crank) for ~ 50 bucks. I had used that balancer on the 360 for ~ 7 years and ATI said the balancer was still in great shape, but I had them service it anyway since it was apart (why not).

Bottom line, the ATI should be the last balancer you ever have to buy if you stay small block…and no, I’m not an ATI salesman...I just sound like one :toothy10:.

I won't use a Fluidamper on a customer's engine, and now add Professional Products and Pro/Street to that list. All due to leaks or failures. I'm only using SFI approved stuff now and either TCI or ATI will be the choices.

-
Back