Has anyone tried the Odessa Cylinder Heads for 5.2/5.9 Magnum ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
They're iron with new with stock style casting, 2.02 intakes, 1.62 exh, same cc as stock magnums , 3 angle valve. Price seems good
Fully assemble
I called Odessa and they do not
Publish any flow numbers.

Last edited:
I wanna say there was a thread about this a couple/few years ago-lemme see if i can find it.

Are you building a drag car ? Or a street car ?
If you can get to the heads capabilities it will be quick and fun if you can get 450 HP. 400 HP small blocks are quick and fun, 350 HP small blocks are quick and fun. If you wanna go fast throw a stage or two of no2 on it and be good

Stoplight to stoplight car, with an attitude, was hoping for some heads @250 CFM @ .550 lift, hopefully around 450 hp , then add a 150 shot of N2O.
I'd love a set of Trick Flows but not willing to spend that much $

Stoplight to stoplight car, with an attitude, was hoping for some heads @250 CFM @ .550 lift, hopefully around 450 hp , then add a 150 shot of N2O.
So the faster air speed with small port heads will do what you want.

So build a 408 stroker with the RIGHT cam and intake with these heads and you will be an easy 400+ HP. But you will also be 450+ lb/ ft of torque. Torque, my friend, is what wins stoplight to stoplight if you can hook it up and produces the most SPG: Smiles per Gallon.

Thanks, I found them, wasn't impressed with 226 CFM vs stock magnums at 210 cfm
I don’t know if you can port the heads yourself, but some bowl and short side work should prove very helpful.

I was talking with Charlie Servidio the other day and he has some EQ Magnum heads coming in soon (provided the fella commits to the work) that he will be porting. Even though it’s a better head OOTB, the same basic tech would apply.

At 226 cfm, it’s what I’d call OK, not great but suitable for your goal. For 450 hp, you’re going to have to take the time to carefully choose your cam specs to take the most possible advantage of the cylinders head flow ability. I say this to keep the duration at .050 low as possible as opposed to just a hap hazard a cam choice with to much duration to make driving enjoyable vs not so enjoyable.

What’s your tire size/gear ratio and is a replacement performance stall converter in the cards?

What’s your tire size/gear ratio and is a replacement performance stall converter in the cards?
8 3/4 , 3.91 sure grip 742 case.
Tires 25.1 diameter
B and M 3500 holes shot converter
73, 440, Thermoquad, 850 CFM
Present cam, Old Crane Fireball grind,
Int 498/274 exh 512/286 113 LSA (advertised)
Duration extra on exh for maximizing 150 shot of nitrous

Odessa (Also known as Clearwater) Cylinder Head Company is horrible. They have terrible reviews, terrible customer service and sell a terrible product. You have been warned.

-
Back