Head advice

-

midlife89

Reaction score
Planning on using my tax refund to get some heads for my 360,currently have J's w/1.88/1.6 with no other work than a fresh valve job.Would like sugestions on new heads.My combo is:

30 over w/ KB107s,block not decked
xe274h cam
RPM intake
Holley 670 Street Avenger carb
2800 converter
3:55 gears
Also what thickness gaskets should I use? Been considering EQ or LA-X heads.

the rhs will be a good choice just get the 2.02/1.60 valves (stainless steel of course).

I'd use RHS (LA-X) heads. The EQ's are real good heads too but their magnum valve train only. IMO the shaft rocker system on a LA head is superior and sometimes cheaper. You also need oil through lifters when you use EQ's. Learned all this the hard way, LOL

As for the head gaskets your best bet is to measure how far down in the hole the pistons are and see if you can find some gaskets that'll gets you as close to .040" between the tops of the pistons and the closed part of the chamber on the heads as you can get. That'll give you a good amount of compression and quench to resist detonation. Most likely your going to need the thinnest gaskets you can find because if the block wasn't milled the pistons are usually down in the hole .015-.020"

Ding Ding Round 1 Bazillion... LMAO

As for the head gaskets your best bet is to measure how far down in the hole the pistons are and see if you can find some gaskets that'll gets you as close to .040" between the tops of the pistons and the closed part of the chamber on the heads as you can get. That'll give you a good amount of compression and quench to resist detonation. Most likely your going to need the thinnest gaskets you can find because if the block wasn't milled the pistons are usually down in the hole .015-.020"

Good advice. Don't buy head gaskets until you have it apart and know what you are dealing with regarding piston/deck measurements.

Should be good enough to push the car to ~110 maybe more in the 1/4 mile traps with decent heads.

I'll take odds this thread degenerates. :)

I think ported and prepped Eddys would be a great choice for that.

I'm going to go with the LA-x heads from IMM and Hughes rockers,I like the fact they come w/banana grove shafts,shims n everything.Do I have to go with billet hold downs or can I just use factory ones?This car is mainly a street car and may only see the strip once in a while. I'm going with IMM because I've read mixed reviews about Indy and by the time I add the upgrades to the ones from Indy we're talking the same $,maybe a little less. Don't want to spend the cash on eddies only to have to lay out more $ to have them gone over and not worried about the bling cause there is nothing flashy about my engine compartment.Even looking into getting my headers coated black.Plus I'm lazy,hate polishing alum.Plan on replacing my wheels w/Steelies n dog dishes once I get the drivetrain where I want it.Thanks for all your suggestions.

No I got it. Do a small block Hemi head conversion. Yeah. That's the ticket.

I saw those a while back, when Edelbrock was still working on their LA head. Those are wicked.

I'm going to go with the LA-x heads from IMM and Hughes rockers,I like the fact they come w/banana grove shafts,shims n everything.Do I have to go with billet hold downs or can I just use factory ones?This car is mainly a street car and may only see the strip once in a while. I'm going with IMM because I've read mixed reviews about Indy and by the time I add the upgrades to the ones from Indy we're talking the same $,maybe a little less. Don't want to spend the cash on eddies only to have to lay out more $ to have them gone over and not worried about the bling cause there is nothing flashy about my engine compartment.Even looking into getting my headers coated black.Plus I'm lazy,hate polishing alum.Plan on replacing my wheels w/Steelies n dog dishes once I get the drivetrain where I want it.Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sounds as though you have a plan.

The hold downs from hughes are pretty nice. If they don't come with the rockers, decent pieces to get. There are another set that may require some sizing to install that are on e-bay all the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Bille...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e1866bc3&vxp=mtr

Billet???

No
Grade 5 will do just fine.

I don't think he ment the attaching screws but the metal parts that go under the attaching screw that hold the shafts.

"Shaft hold downs" are stock in stamped steel while an upgrade would be billet aluminum. I'd do the billet myself. Overkill? Doesn't matter. There still inexpensive and far far superior over the stock part.

-
Back