Head Gaskets for 383

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
As I get closer to completing the rebuild of my 906 heads, I am looking at head gaskets. Any recommendations?

This is for my 383 project here: My '75 Scamp 383 Build

Since I don't want to lose any more compression, I think I'm going with .020"-.027" steel shim gaskets. Do any of you have experience with Mopar Performance variety?
My bore is 4.250" what size gasket should I be looking for? Same size? (limited choices). But I have seen 4.380" among others.

The steel shim is a good gasket. Make sure to spray them down with copper coat and let it get good and tacky before you install them. They will require re-torquing.

Not saying this is going to happen, but I put a 383 together with the Mopar performance steel shim gaskets, “ heads and block were NOT surfaced” used copper spray, re torqued after break in, and still had some water seepage, into cylinders and side of block.a good fresh deck and head surface would be best and recommended, but I pulled them off and replaced with felpro 1009s, no issues ever since. And just so you know, I measured the Mopar gaskets at .018 compressed

Another option is this brand. .020 thick, follow the instructions above regarding coatings and retorque.
100_1525.JPG

Not saying this is going to happen, but I put a 383 together with the Mopar performance steel shim gaskets, “ heads and block were NOT surfaced” used copper spray, re torqued after break in, and still had some water seepage, into cylinders and side of block.a good fresh deck and head surface would be best and recommended, but I pulled them off and replaced with felpro 1009s, no issues ever since. And just so you know, I measured the Mopar gaskets at .018 compressed
Leakage happens with steel shim, when heads are mixed from side to side with no resurfacing or when only one surface is resurfaced. more times than not.
It is best to have the deck surfaced and the head.

I appreciate the feedback fellas!
On mine, I am OCD about orientation L/R of ALL parts.
Block and heads not resurfaced, just meticulously cleaned. No evidence whatsoever of prior head gasket failure on a running engine. I don't know a whole lot, but I'm confident a quality new steel head gasket installed properly in my application will work fine.

-
Back