header wrap? pro's / con's

-
Over a year later and it still looking good and working good. I love digging up these old threads...

Now if I could only find that one with yellow rose running back and forth breaking in his motor with the oil leak damn it!!!

Not bad. I think the next time I pull the engine out I'll end up re painting them with the high temp wrap paint..
I'm thinking about wrapping mine and came across your post. I figured I'd see if they were still holding up. I've heard the horror stories about exhaust wrap.

I'm thinking about wrapping mine and came across your post. I figured I'd see if they were still holding up. I've heard the horror stories about exhaust wrap.
Mind you my car is a fair-weather car and I don't drive it in the rain and it's garage kept..

You also got to understand that I'm one of those people who tries things that people generally perpetuate negative stories about...

You also got to understand that I'm one of those people who tries things that people generally perpetuate negative stories about...

@j par I’m sure you’ve heard the old saying “you knew it was header wrap when you wrapped em”. :)

I believe the wrap will insulate the pipe which keeps the heat out of the engine compartment but also helps the exhaust scavenge better. The major downside to wrap is the headers will rust much faster. If its a fair weather driver and is garage kept it probably wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Plus , that crap is mostly made out of fiberglass , and gets in ur forearms when working on the car around it . I hate the dam stuff !!

^^^^there's one of the perpetuated stories that I didn't listen to>>
Likely it was the black silicone header paint that I painted them with that kept them from fraying and getting all over everything..

^^^^there's one of the perpetuated stories that I didn't listen to>>
Likely it was the black silicone header paint that I painted them with that kept them from fraying and getting all over everything..

Not perpetuateed , dont paint that crap and see for urself !

Sounds like you learned your own lesson...

Yeah , the hard way / seems normal to me tho .
I dont have that dam stuff on mine at all, except where the external oil line is close to the headers , and where the headers are close to the valve covers .

Yeah , the hard way / seems normal to me tho .
I dont have that dam stuff on mine at all, except where the external oil line is close to the headers , and where the headers are close to the valve covers .
I wrap them really tightly after soaking it in water hanging on a hook in my garage. Then I used near an entire can of silicone header wrap black spray paint. (i.e. I did it right)...
again it's been almost two years and the next time I have them out I will repaint them... I would have liked to have painted them again last year, but I don't want to try and do it with them in the car as I don't think I'll get a nice even coverage and I don't want to get that crap on everything else...

You can only imagine the paint covers of fibers and doesn't let them fray as easy..

I wrap them really tightly after soaking it in water hanging on a hook in my garage. Then I used near an entire can of silicone header wrap black spray paint. (i.e. I did it right)...
again it's been almost two years and the next time I have them out I will repaint them... I would have liked to have painted them again last year, but I don't want to try and do it with them in the car as I don't think I'll get a nice even coverage and I don't want to get that crap on everything else...

I bought a used set of TTI 2'' from a guy in Witchitaw about 10 yrs ago , he had them wrapped , ''over chrome'' . I rewrapped them after straightening 1-3 tubes where he had them mashed up for steering box clearance. After I had them about 5 yrs, I got tires of the fiberglass and took it off and had them hi heat coated black.
The chrome was scaling , and all most decayed off, blasted them pryor to coating , so far so good now.

-
Back