Heater Control Fix

-

1967 GT Vert

Reaction score
So I couldn't find the small plastic part that attaches a heater control cable to the control level or even find out what it is called (see pic).

I came up with an off the shelf fix (see pics) Buy a couple of 3/16" x 3/4" clevis pins. You will also need 6 matching washers and small cotter pins. I put 2 washers under the head of the clevis pin, 3 washers in the space between the control plates, placed the cable end on the pin and then 1 washer and cotter pin. A little grease and it works fine.

If you want a tighter fit then maybe you could fashion a pin from a 5mm bolt.

20160727_080434.jpg

20160724_132554.jpg

20160726_173723.jpg

20160726_173739.jpg

20160726_173807.jpg

Nice work.
I did almost the exact same thing with all the lock and handle rods in my doors when I put electric locks in.

Thanks for the info. This is one of my winter projects so glad to have the heads up.

The one I fixed had a cable at top and bottom. A piece of brass 10-32 machine screw went through the original nylon washer like portion, Nyloc nuts top and bottom retain the cables. No squeaks.
The most important point to stress here... The nylon stem is the engineered point of failure for a blend doors movement fault. Find and correct that fault. Otherwise the operator forcing the control lever will break something else. In most cases the cable will bend/wad up at one end or the other.
If not that the cable sheathe defeats its retainer in some manner.

Redfish. The problem with mine was simply age. They became brittle. The cables and doors all function freely upon examination. I did make certain to lubricate all before reassembly

-
Back