Help needed

-

plymouth67

It be a lot cooler if you did...
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought a 72 Duster, it's an A/C car but, is missing the heater/A/C box under the dash. Will a box from a 74 A body work in his 72? I realize we will have to change the controls as they are different but, will the box itself bolt right up? Any info would be appreciated...
Thanks

I'm pretty sure the firewall is different between a 72 car and a 74 car. The blower motor hole is a different size and the heater core water line holes are in a different orientation on the firewall.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the firewall is different between a 72 car and a 74 car. The blower motor hole is a different size and the heater core water line holes are in a different orientation on the firewall.
Even if they are both A/C csr?

Yes. My dad just went through this but with a Dart. He had 74 donor car but is restoring a 72. He had to cut the firewall section out of the 74 and weld it into the 72. Both are AC cars.

Here is the firewall of my 72 w/AC. Arrows pointing out the differences
72 Dart with AC firewall.jpg

Here is a 74 w/AC (courtesy google) . Notice heater core hole orientation. Blower motor opening size is hard to see the difference here but pretty sure later years were smaller opening
1974-dodge-dart-swinger.jpeg

I was chatting about this with my dad today. This is the piece of a 74 AC firewall that was grafted into the 72 to use the 74 AC box
IMG_1824.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Maybe he should just keep looking for a 72 box.

If you are not bent on "restoration correct" I would SERIOUSLY consider one of the aftermarket options. Smaller compressor, "all new" stuff, generally smaller, simpler installation. Sometimes you can find this stuff used or "new not installed"

Don't believe that they make an aftermarket A/C for an A/C factory car.
The heater core and A/C lines are swapping locations by the looks of the pictures. Picture if my '72 Dart.

20220930_205010.jpg

20220930_204857.jpg

20220930_204844.jpg

-
Back