Help!! Wheres the power? 360 Cam choice?

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
looking for a good cam for my mild 360 4 barrel cam with headers, 904 auto and a 8.3/4 rear with 3:91s.. electronic ignition and a electric fuel pump
what powerband is best for this set up? from Idle to 5.500 or ?
The Edelbrock 2177 Performer Plus cam
The mopar 340 6 pack cam
or Comp cams xe 280 cam
or the thumpr cam?
I have a factory 340 intake manifold but may step up to the performer or the RPM
Im looking to have a nice street and occasional strip. maybe 3 times a yr.
what cam and what manifold
Bruce

The comp XE274H is a decent cam & doesn't need alot of stall but will pull good to 58-6000, maybe even the XE274HL

looking for a good cam for my mild 360 4 barrel cam with headers, 904 auto and a 8.3/4 rear with 3:91s.. electronic ignition and a electric fuel pump
what powerband is best for this set up? from Idle to 5.500 or ?

Power band is dictated by the cam.

The Edelbrock 2177 Performer Plus cam
Junk

The mopar 340 6 pack cam
same as every 4bbl. cam. It's OK. The upgraded 340 cam would be better.

or Comp cams xe 280 cam
Intresting choice

or the thumpr cam?
If you like the sound

I have a factory 340 intake manifold but may step up to the performer or the RPM
Move to the RPM. The Performer is a aluminum version of the OE 4bbl. at best.

Im looking to have a nice street and occasional strip. maybe 3 times a yr.
what cam and what manifold
Bruce

Before I even think of a cam for this, your preety well set up from mild to pumpin wild for the perameters of the car. 1 question to you.

Are you willing to change the converter out to a higher stall converter or do you want to leave it stock.

Cam opinions are , well, opinions, evrybody has one

We'll assume you have at least 1 5/8" headers into at least 2 1/4" dual exhaust. Also assuming other than a stock converter. (if you have neither of these spend money here first).

An XE274 cam , Performer RPM intake, and 750 CFM carb of your choice should make for a nice 360. The XE280 is probably pushing it unless you increase compression.

I like the Lunati Voodoo series. A Lunati 60403 would be about the same powerband as a Comp Xe274h, but it has more lift (.494/.513 vs .488/.491) with slightly less duration (268/276 vs 274/286). Idles better, but still delivers great power with the added lift. Exhaust lift is up to .513 though, so you'd better make sure your springs are up to it (true for any cam upgrade though).

Best intake is the Performer Rpm Air Gap, if you're in Santa Cruz you won't need the exhaust crossover anyway.

Sorry.. Ive been away
I am planning on stepping up to a converter but thought cam and manifold would be a better step 1 and then the converter and caltracs later
frame is already boxed and tied and have the Kelsey 4 piston brakes
Is there a recommende comp cam that will work as I step up. I dont want to buy another cam for step 2
my budget will not let me do it all at once
looking for electronic ignition and I need a drive line for this car as well if anyone has one (remember its a 67 post w 904 and 8/34) a 108 wheel base
any other suggestions or recommendations are welcome
thanks
FABO!

XE268H 1600-5800 Operating range.Biggest cam with stock converter.
XE274H 1800-6000 Operating range.Requires 2200+ Stall.

These would be my 2 choices.Originally you said "Mild 360". Thats why I suggested the XE268. This is the cam I am running in my 360 and it works flawlessly on the street.
You got to ask yourself,how often am I going to be driving at or over 5800 RPM's ?
When I get on my street car,I'm shifting at 5000rpms.
Plenty,Plenty,fast car and a blast to drive

Having said that the XE274H is definately a cam to look at as well.I can only speak of experiance with the 268.Remember stock valve springs cannot be used with either of these cams.Call comp's tech line for the correct spring and retainer combination.

Remember,bigger isnt always better in cam choice.

360 block.
Ported 360 Heads
Comp XE268H
Ede RPM
Ede 750
340 manifolds
Dual exhaust, 40 series Flowmasters.
Mopar Electronic Ign
3.55 Suregrip
2200-2400 Mopar Performance stall.

30 D pics 017.jpg

Hart Basketball 036.jpg

I currently have the eddy cam right now. Has alot on the top end of the motor. Just my two cents. It is hard to get to idle until the car warms up though. That could be my carb, just waiting to get my rebuilt double pumper on there.

-
Back