HELP, Wiring Problem

-

SDHomesteade

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm not that great with Wiring and going to rewire my swather because it has 50 yr old wiring in it. Anyway, I took Pictures of everything and on how it was hooked up to use as a reference to rewiring it and my wife deleted everything on the SD card I had in the damn camera. All my components have been replace and are new but I can't remember where the hell each wire goes. Attached is an image of the staring and charging components of the swather. This is ALL It has, it has no lights, radio ext.. just this stuff. (and the dist and plugs and wires but I didn't change those out). I know I should have done this one wire at a time but I wasn't expecting the wife to delete my SD card on the camera. Can anyone help me with this. I have this weekend to get it running before the state mows the edge of the Road Ditches and I loose about 3 bales of hay from that if I can't get it cut first. I am willing to send someone some paypal money (20 bucks) if you have a paypal account and I can get this thing running. Please find the attached image as to what is on this thing. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. (I hate electrical work).

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 226
A bit hastily drawn

Starter relay: Some of these are wired "different" but I'd bet this is a standard Ford type. This has an "I" terminal and an "S" terminal. To find out, do this:

Clip lead one mounting ear to a battery. Take your other lead and hook to battery positive, and hook the opposite end first to one small terminal, see if it clicks, then the other. If one terminal causes the relay to click, this is "S" With the relay energized, there should be continuity between both large terminals and the remaining small terminal. This is "I". It's purpose is to feed battery voltage to coil in start.

IF THIS DOES NOT work, post back

Ammeter: Just hook it up and try it. You will have a 50-50 chance, it will either read backwards or forwards, and if backwards, just reverse the connections.

Alternator / regulator: The "I" (indicator) terminal of the regulator need not be used with an ammeter. The "A" terminal hooks to "hot battery" the "S" terminal is "switched 12V" and F goes to field on the alternator. If the alternator has more than one small terminal, ignore them.

Your alternator output is the "obvious" large output stud

If you use something big for wire, like 14, I'd use either a 15 or 20A fuse, or just a breaker for "fail safe."

http://i62.tinypic.com/v8nggg.jpg

NOTE. If this is a standard Ford relay, I have the drawing labeled backwards re: physical layout: This description below is incorrect in one respect. It does not matter which large terminal goes to battery and which goes to starter

http://www.mustangevolution.com/for...340581640-ford-4-terminal-solenoid-wiring.jpg

Thank you, I am using 14g Wire for everything except the Ground Starp and the Big wires coming off the alternator, I have 10g for that.

I do not have a start or run terminal on the ignition switch though (just a generic switch I got the tractor store, it has Bat, Ign, and Acc, on it. also, is that Circle you have with the upside down looking Y in it the Coil?? And yes it's a standard Ford Relay.

Yes, LOL, the ammeter.

OK, with no start terminal on the IGN switch, you are either going to have to get a different ignition switch, or a start button with two terminals.

With a push button, you could connect one terminal to the B terminal of the IGN switch, and the other runs to the S terminal of the starter relay

For now, with no starter button, you can just jumper the S terminal of the start relay to the battery with a screwdriver, clip lead, whatever you have

the ignition switch I have has a Bump Start Position on it, Turn it and then it bumps back to the run position I think is the best way to describe it, just doesn't have the Start terminal on the back I think. I do have a pushbutton switch (originally on the swather and was trying to eliminate that pushbutton as well).

the ignition switch I have has a Bump Start Position on it, Turn it and then it bumps back to the run position I think is the best way to describe it, just doesn't have the Start terminal on the back I think. I do have a pushbutton switch (originally on the swather and was trying to eliminate that pushbutton as well).

EDIT post the brand and part no? of the switch?

Well it HAS to have a start terminal if it has a start function. Is there a terminal right in the middle?

Universal switch.......very middle terminal is "start"

http://www.oemsurplus911.com/calterm/images/switches/42410.JPG

I don't remember seeing a universal switch with three terminals that was "start" but maybe Any I remember are acc - off - on.

Ok my bad, I didn't notice the Center Lug on the start switch. It does indeed have one and is marked ST on it in much smaller letters than the other lugs on it.

Wife is at work right now and first thing in the AM, I will be getting hot on this as I have to watch the 2 kids right now to make sure they don't kill each other or the pets LOL. Thank you again for this instuctional and I'll post the second it's running. I really should have just done this one wire at a time but **** happens, especially when your married to a female Virgo LOL.

THANK YOU THANK YOU TANK YOU. I have no clue how to post a video but I video taped it running. If you use paypal please private message me your email address and I'll send you a few bucks for this.

I only have one other question, I have an electric fuel pump on it (two wires) and right now have it hooked up directly to the battery so I have to disconnect it everytime I shut down and connect it everytime I start it, Where would I hook up that Positive wire at to shut it off and on with the ignition switch???

Again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. It's PURRING LIKE A KITTEN AGAIN.

Depends on how much it draws. You can run it through the key "I" terminal if it does not draw all that much, otherwise you need to add a relay.

You don't owe me a thing. Thanks was plenty. If you and I were neighbors we'd had this wrapped up in part of an afternoon and you be out makin hay.

Well if you ever make a Trip to see the Black Hills in SD, give me a Holler. We got 40 acres and free camping LOLOL.

Thanks again.

I wish I could. At my age, probably not. Good luck with the hay. "Out here" when I was a kid, we used to have a cow or two, and a "beef on the hoof." We never had a baler until after I joined the Navy in '68. Our old tractor those years was a "Farmall Regular," about '28. All our equipment was old horse drawn or early towed gear. I started out running a dump rake. Our side delivery for many years was steel wheels, and we really hit the "big time" when we got one of those (hateful) loose hay loaders

The old girl in the early 2000's when we sold 'er. I DROVE it on the trailer

attachment.php

Still a couple guys up here using them things, they last friggin forever if you take care of them, and almost forever if you don't LOL.

I have a case 930 for pulling the baler, it's a western edition so has no 3 point lift or loader on it, basically just a big *** go cart with a pto shaft LOL. Have a John Deere 3010 with a Loader and Backhoe on it, that's our workhorse now. And then the ol Nortrac 20 hp that was big mistake buying but works out great for doing post holes and Garden Tilling and that's about it LOL.

Swather is purring like a kitten but got it stuck in an unexpected mudhole and stuck for two days, bent the cutter bar and support while getting it unstuck, gotta fix that now but she's still purring. Thanks again for the wiring help.

-
Back