Hooker 5901's & Summit Exhaust into my '67 Dart

-

1967Dart273

Reaction score
Maybe this may help any of you out there on the fence about this setup...

I ordered a set of Hooker 5901 headers & a Summit/Heartthrob 2 1/2" exhaust kit with Turbo mufflers

The car still runs a 273 2bbl with A/C, P/S, & A/T

The headers I purchased because they were called out by P/N for use with the exhaust kit, but not close to the fit or quality of the Hookers made in the 70's or 80's and was extremely disappointed that the number 7 & 3 tubes hit the steering coupler & column, they are 1/4" too far outboard to fit correctly. I think they are just a little too expensive to dent/smash tubes to make them fit.

Followed the instructions for the most part and did it in my garage on jack stands as high as I could get it.

I pulled the steering box & column back as suggested, but in retrospect I think with help I may have been able to shuffle the motor over enough to get it in without messing with the box... Manual steering must be a breeze!

I didn't need to modify any of the shift linkage as called for in the instructions.

The exhaust kit was well made and all parts were present on arrival.
It's nicer than most if not all muffler shops could ever do for the money and the mufflers are made in the USA

The RH over axle pipe needed to be trimmed about 2 inches, but everything else was plug & play. It's also a tight squeeze between the RH tailpipe, & tank so take your time aligning the pipes & muffler up before you tighten them down for keeps.

LH Tailpipe Hanger uses the OE bolt hole, I used an existing hole on the RH and dropped a supplied 5/16 bolt down from inside the box section. The inserts on the hangers were a nice touch instead of the old rubber style.

There are 6 clamps in the whole system, and I was able to hide most of them pretty easy or you could weld the pipes up once fitted to your liking (I may do that when I swap the motor next year) I'd hit the welded areas with some VHT or equiv. to protect from corrosion.

Take your time and use something to support the mufflers & pipes while putting everything in place. It took me most of this afternoon to do it in 98F+ heat.

Trimmed both exhaust pipes to just past the bumper & fired it up.

It's a little loud for me, but then again it doesn't have any drone inside like a flowmaster/fauxmaster either. I'm not making 300+ HP (200 would be pushing my luck) so I would have liked to have had a choice of 2" or 2 1/4" pipes as well...

Overall, I would recommend the exhaust kit, but the headers left a very bad impression on me... The best I can say about them is that they are installed and don't leak (yet) and are doing what they are supposed to do.
It is possible my set was jigged up & welded wrong, but I expected better out of the box from Hooker.

I'll post video & some pics tomorrow!
We'll see how it does next week at the drag strip Wed night :burnout:

[ame="http://youtu.be/brKpWW7ysZs"]302 Found[/ame]

2114322853_photobucket_102467_.jpg

2114322853_photobucket_102465_.jpg

2114322853_photobucket_101784_.jpg

2114322853_photobucket_101785_.jpg

2114322853_photobucket_101789_.jpg

OK, second test drive found out that the headers will drag pretty easy, smashing one of the LH header tubes up about 1/2" going through a very slight dip bottoming the suspension on a 2 lane road @ 60 mph... So, the car is pretty much useless for road trips with a full load now. A friend suggested a skid plate off of a GMC Denali. Yeah, real funny!!!

Doesn't seem all that low... 6 1/2 to 7 inches of clearance. (the pans are for the power steering that decided to leak on the fourth time out, probably from all the extra heat in the area) The exhaust does tuck up nicely though!
2114322853_photobucket_101781_.jpg

TTI's or building some Fenderwells are looking like a much better value now...
Maybe some 28" tall fronts would probably help some (26" right now), but I'm done with these and as soon as I can I'm pulling them off...

Save yourself from huge headaches and avoid these headers even if you can't afford anything else right now...
(well, maybe that's a little harsh... I'm just not happy as I have been with Hookers in the past)

Nice!

I've got the same set up to throw on my Duster. I bought the 5901's used though, ceramic coated and darn near brand new for half the new price. I don't think theres a long tube header set up for the small block a body that doesn't need a few dents, even seen it with the TTI's.

Can't wait to hear it, I run glass packs on my Challenger, so if it's a little loud I may even keep the mufflers...

OK, second test drive found out that the headers will drag pretty easy, smashing one of the LH header tubes up about 1/2" going through a very slight dip bottoming the suspension on a 2 lane road @ 60 mph... So, the car is pretty much useless for road trips with a full load now. A friend suggested a skid plate off of a GMC Denali. Yeah, real funny!!!

TTI's or building some Fenderwells are looking like a much better value now...

Save yourself from huge headaches and avoid these headers even if you can't afford anything else right now...

How low does your car sit? And why are you bottoming your suspension? Sounds like some bigger torsion bars may be in order...

Still having problems embedding the video...

OK, fixed it on post #2

How low does your car sit? And why are you bottoming your suspension? Sounds like some bigger torsion bars may be in order...

It has 6 1/2 to 7 inches of clearance to the LH Header

I had thought about the largest Mopar ones or the 1" aftermarket ones...

This is how high it sits with a 1/4 tank of fuel

2114322853_photobucket_49739_.jpg

Nice!

I've got the same set up to throw on my Duster. I bought the 5901's used though, ceramic coated and darn near brand new for half the new price. I don't think theres a long tube header set up for the small block a body that doesn't need a few dents, even seen it with the TTI's.

Can't wait to hear it, I run glass packs on my Challenger, so if it's a little loud I may even keep the mufflers...

Thanks!

Half price sounds like a steal! Maybe in a Duster they'll fit better!

You'll probably be like the sound if you like running the GP's!
It is pretty mellow until you get on it, then it really comes alive.
Just a little too loud for my damaged ears...

Yeah, I've dimpled a few over the years, but nothing like this one. Someone posted that there were a batch of Hookers that had QC issues, but who knows if this set was affected...

I did the same exact thing on my 74-318 Duster and though it all good with only minor trimming of the tail pipes. The Hookers fit well except at the steering box where there was interfearance with a stud for the bolt to hold the box.

Haha! That does sound nice. I need to get that 340 in my Duster and fire it up. Is that the stock cam in that 273?

It has 6 1/2 to 7 inches of clearance to the LH Header. I had thought about the largest Mopar ones or the 1" aftermarket ones...

Wow that's more clearance than I thought they'd have, they tuck up pretty well actually. I only have about 3 1/2" to the headers on my Challenger, and I've never had them drag on the open road. I bashed them on a speed bump once, but that was it. It sits pretty low though.

I have the 1" JS bars on my Duster, its a lot more compliant than I thought it would be. I run 1.12" bars on my Challenger, those are pretty stiff. Still not horrible though. I think everyone should run 1" bars on the A-bodies, they handle a TON better, but they still ride nice. They'd pretty much take care of your bottoming out issue though. I'd venture that the 1" bars are still softer than the suspension on most new cars too. I'll probably upgrade my Duster again, go to 1.03 or 1.06.

Haha! That does sound nice. I need to get that 340 in my Duster and fire it up. Is that the stock cam in that 273?

Wow that's more clearance than I thought they'd have, they tuck up pretty well actually. I only have about 3 1/2" to the headers on my Challenger, and I've never had them drag on the open road. I bashed them on a speed bump once, but that was it. It sits pretty low though.

I have the 1" JS bars on my Duster, its a lot more compliant than I thought it would be. I run 1.12" bars on my Challenger, those are pretty stiff. Still not horrible though. I think everyone should run 1" bars on the A-bodies, they handle a TON better, but they still ride nice. They'd pretty much take care of your bottoming out issue though. I'd venture that the 1" bars are still softer than the suspension on most new cars too. I'll probably upgrade my Duster again, go to 1.03 or 1.06.

It's the white box Summit 6900... I think it's little too big for the 273 9:1 motor especially with the 2 1/2" exh, but it does sound nice and has much better mid-range & top end power over the stock 2bbl solid cam.
It sounded a lot more mellow with the single exhaust though, more like a nice burble similar to a 340/360 4bbl cam in a 318...

It's the white box Summit 6900... I think it's little too big for the 273 9:1 motor especially with the 2 1/2" exh, but it does sound nice and has much better mid-range & top end power over the stock 2bbl solid cam.
It sounded a lot more mellow with the single exhaust though, more like a nice burble similar to a 340/360 4bbl cam in a 318...

Actually I think that cam is fine for that set up, it's not too far off a lunati 60402, a little less lift and a touch more duration on exhaust. Probably could use a 4 barrel carb though :D.

Ugh! If that's what a 262/272 .420/.442 cam sounds like with that system I can't wait to hear what my 340 will sound like with it's lunati 60404, that's a 276/284 and .513/.533 cam. Must...install...engine!

:burnout:

Be careful if you're taking it to the track with that 7.25 rear though...

I agree,sounds good.Same exhaust on my Scamp,hard to beat for the price.

Sounds great , if you have 6 1/2 - 7" of clearance to the tube you should not hit on a dip at 60mph . I have yet to hit my pipes and I have 4 1/2 -5 " of clearance . I drove with 3 people , me 250 lbs my son 180 and his buddy 240 and did not hit on back roads in Quebec , known to be as bad as it gets . maybe your t-bars and shcs are past the best by sell date ?

Sounds great , if you have 6 1/2 - 7" of clearance to the tube you should not hit on a dip at 60mph . I have yet to hit my pipes and I have 4 1/2 -5 " of clearance . I drove with 3 people , me 250 lbs my son 180 and his buddy 240 and did not hit on back roads in Quebec , known to be as bad as it gets . maybe your t-bars and shcs are past the best by sell date ?

Now that I've got a few more miles on it, I must have been unlucky that day and hit a bulge or buckle because since I've stopped worrying about it I have yet to hit anything else including some hefty speed bumps and driveway curb cuts that I forgot to slow down for...

i have the very same headers on my duster. no leaks, no scrapes, no dents , no burnt wires , paint still isnt bad after 1 1/2 years .

i have 6" k member to ground and 4" from the tubes to the ground

slant /6 torsion bars and old shocks.

Attachments

• kmem.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 817
  • kmem1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 791
1/4 mile before exhaust: 18.191 @ 74.770 after: 17.186 @ 79.051
Similar conditions with density altitude about 1500'
- 1.005 ET
+ 4.21 MPH
Not great, we'll see what a 4bbl & intake will do next...

As far as the height, It should be plenty high enough. Remember the shocks are what control the Travel distance up & down. Slightly stiffer shocks would help immensely.

im hoping to get a set of the 5901 cheapi hooker headers hope they fit my 74 swinger with power steering,is there any issues with the spool engine
mounts?

Just installed my Summit Small Block Universal headers, it fit my 73 manual steering/power brake setup without any hammering. Lots of swearing at the #5 bolts on both sides and the #3 bolt on the passenger side, no clearance between tube and bolt head, period. No way to get a box end on it. Just a sixth of a turn, flip wrench, four ninths of a turn, flip wrench, have back spasm, etc. But they went on real nice, had to pull the fan/distributor/lower radiator hose, dropped steering link and used my hoist to lift the engine up. If I had a buddy I could have done it with a floor jack, and probably a lot faster than it took me alone (3 hours or so). I got the Summit Exhaust collector reducers installed (hopefully sealed), then I laid in the squelching mud and got ichor on me and I called it quits for the day, but it looks like it mates up with their Dual kit pretty well. The drivers side tubes hang down low but they'll probably be fine.

It's been a while since I've looked at a P/S box but I don't think that it'd fit. The header is close to the coupler, the main body in two places, and the mounting ears. Who knows though, with hammers, much is possible.

Thanks for this info, I have the same headers and am getting that same exhaust system.

-
Back