How about a little Powerglide love

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my powerglide for my heads-up car finally yesterday. There's only about 12.00 worth of GM left in this one. ATI Superglide case, Mopar big block bell, 1.69 low gear set, 10 clutch after market case (I went with 8 blue clutches to save a few horsepower) TCI Pro trans-brake, 1500 plus horsepower input shaft, TCI high pressure pump, ATI catch can, and a few Sonax goodies.

44431853350_7965e48caa_c.jpg
Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

46198169652_3fde1ff568_c.jpg

44431852520_6d606718d3_c.jpg

Very nice. I bought a Coan Race glide many years ago with 1.88 straight cut set. Was good for 1000 hp back then, Had a 9" nitrous converter, was a great trans.

Can we ask what ET ‘ish this thing gonna run

Well let’s just say I have a lot to learn never running nitrous in my 44 plus years of racing. I had this engine together before and it ran 5.42 in my old Daytona NA with a nitrous cam and Indy 440-1 heads. I tore it apart and went with nitrous friendly pistons, 7.150 aluminum rods, and a set of ported B1 heads. I bought a 300-700 nitrous plate system and a progressive but like I said it’s will be a learning experience. You better be 5.0’s-5.20’s to play but some guys are 4.80’s. It’s just an itch I have to try it but I can’t keep up to the guys that have professional builders and tuners. Just trying to keep it fun. I think I have to go in at around 3100 pounds.

Well let’s just say I have a lot to learn never running nitrous in my 44 plus years of racing. I had this engine together before and it ran 5.42 in my old Daytona NA with a nitrous cam and Indy 440-1 heads. I tore it apart and went with nitrous friendly pistons, 7.150 aluminum rods, and a set of ported B1 heads. I bought a 300-700 nitrous plate system and a progressive but like I said it’s will be a learning experience. You better be 5.0’s-5.20’s to play but some guys are 4.80’s. It’s just an itch I have to try it but I can’t keep up to the guys that have professional builders and tuners. Just trying to keep it fun. I think I have to go in at around 3100 pounds.

Nice trans !
572 ? Original B1s ?
Isn’t Tom Hemphill close by ?

Last edited:
That sumbee right there will handle a LOT.

“Just trying to keep it fun. ”

If ya ain’t having fun your doing something wrong.

Nice trans !
572 ? Original B1s ?
Isn’t Tom Hemphill close by ?

Tom is about 18 -20 miles from me. We raced together for years until he gave up racing around 10 years ago. I see him a few times a year at the track. I use a shop closer to my home for my machine work as they can usually get a block to me in 5 days and a crank in 3 days. Yes on the 572 and yes on the original B1's. Tom did spec this cam for me probably back in 2008 or early 09.

Tom’s a great guy, he built a 604 for me, unfortunately it’s been collecting dust since.
I would talk to him about a nitrous tune and convertor. I’m sure you’ll have it flying

Tom’s a great guy, he built a 604 for me, unfortunately it’s been collecting dust since.
I would talk to him about a nitrous tune and convertor. I’m sure you’ll have it flying

I went with Steve at Induction Solutions after being recommended by several friends. If you call Steve a day or two before testing he will pull your paper work and you can call him after each pass. I needed that guarantee.

I went with Steve at Induction Solutions after being recommended by several friends. If you call Steve a day or two before testing he will pull your paper work and you can call him after each pass. I needed that guarantee.

Wow, thats service !

I have a glide for mine also, Dedenbear case, electric shift. Tom made me an adapter plate

I have a glide for mine also, Dedenbear case, electric shift. Tom made me an adapter plate

Tom is very handy and is a very busy guy. That’s the main reason I have only delt with him on a few projects. He drilled my Keith black block for pushrod oiling after I changed my mind of no having it done.

I havta 'mit, it's difficult for me to "love" a PG. Only 2 I've ever owned lasted less than a year. One was in a 57 Chev I had in 66--67, and the other was in a 250hp 327 64 SS I drove from home to San Diego in the spring of '70. I ended up putting a 4 speed in, and not long after, "it turned into" a 69 RR

attachment-jpg.jpg

I put one in pops car. Haven't run it yet tho.

My Son is still running my old CRT 727 that came with my black Duster when I bought it. Heck he still has a 8 3/4 rearend too and running low 10’s evert weekend we keep our fingers crossed. He does change out the gears about every three years or so.

Pops wanted the glide for it's old school vibe.

My car will be staying 904.

Nice work Pitts! I have done numerous torqueflite's and 350 Turbo's over the last 37 yrs. but never been into a PG but I know their tough to beat when built like yours and you have an abundance of torque.

John do you have to run a puke tank?

Is there a reason you went with nitrous instead of boost?

Nice work Pitts! I have done numerous torqueflite's and 350 Turbo's over the last 37 yrs. but never been into a PG but I know their tough to beat when built like yours and you have an abundance of torque.

Thanks. I have been running powerglides for the last 20-25 years and finally started building my own last year. A long-time Friend would build them with me and because we exchanged labor I usually only had around 150.00 in a rebuild. He's my age and was fighting some health issues so I bought a couple of books and built the ATI in my black Duster (1.98 gear-set) and now this one. I bought a third ATI case and a 1.80 gear-set that will go together before race season.

John do you have to run a puke tank?

Is there a reason you went with nitrous instead of boost?

I wrecked a car in 2010 because of fluid on the track when I broke an oil line so I'm pretty cautious about that now. Powerglides run hot on the trans brake and some classes require it so for less than 100.00 I'm good to go. I will never run a turbo because of the work involved and the fact that I do 100% of the stuff on my cars. To much welding and fab work at my age. I also don't like the herky jerky staging that the turbo cars do in heads up pro tree racing. My body couldn't take that.

-
Back