How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
Nice pistol grip. Is that 72 BBody?

No, that's a custom job that Kevin and I worked on together. In the end we both agreed that it needs to be bent so your hand is away from your knee, and since I got it with the car, that is what I am doing.

I started with a scan from an old Mopar magazine of a E-Body and then moved the handle around in AutoCAD relative to the mount until it felt right. Then got it cut on the plasma cutter at work.

I think after I get it bent, it will work well. Then I just need to finsh some metal work, figure out how to mount the top and get it chromed.

It really is pretty similar to the B-Body ones, but I think the handle is more vertical, which I like better. Just seems like the later B-Body ones put the handle more slanted forward.

No scoops on any Duster 304/360s ever. Only Duster twisters got the scoops.

304 Dusters? Didn't know they built those. :poke:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :laughing:

I'm guessing that because Plymouth was the low cost brand, the scoops and such were reserved for the "upscale" brand (Dodge). Too bad because the twin scoops look so good on the Duster.

For that matter, I just don't understand why Mopar never put the AirGrabber hood on a Duster. The one on my brother's old Duster has to prove that it would have been a hit. If things ever improve, I'm going to find a way to duplicate that hood.

304 Dusters? Didn't know they built those. :poke:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :laughing:

I'm guessing that because Plymouth was the low cost brand, the scoops and such were reserved for the "upscale" brand (Dodge). Too bad because the twin scoops look so good on the Duster.

For that matter, I just don't understand why Mopar never put the AirGrabber hood on a Duster. The one on my brother's old Duster has to prove that it would have been a hit. If things ever improve, I'm going to find a way to duplicate that hood.

My 6barrel Roadrunner has an air grabber. Back in my younger days I just had to have a car with one of those. Not to mention the 1350 cfm Holleys like all that air when kicked open.

Will a Dodge hood with the scoops fit the 74 Duster? I'm 52 and this is my first A body so not really up on what fits and what doesn't. Been a B and E body guy all these years.

No, that's a custom job that Kevin and I worked on together. In the end we both agreed that it needs to be bent so your hand is away from your knee, and since I got it with the car, that is what I am doing.

I started with a scan from an old Mopar magazine of a E-Body and then moved the handle around in AutoCAD relative to the mount until it felt right. Then got it cut on the plasma cutter at work.

I think after I get it bent, it will work well. Then I just need to finsh some metal work, figure out how to mount the top and get it chromed.

It really is pretty similar to the B-Body ones, but I think the handle is more vertical, which I like better. Just seems like the later B-Body ones put the handle more slanted forward.

Yep. The pistol grip in my Cuda kinda leans forward at the grip.

Will a Dodge hood with the scoops fit the 74 Duster?

Dodge hood will not fit, the front of the hood is pretty different.

Pretty sure the scoop fits on a Duster hood, though. Seems like I have seen them on Dusters before, but I could be wrong. The scoop being the single scoop with the double snorkle nose. I will try and find a picture.

Here's a picture of one.

P1010028.JPG

After further research (unintentionally), I have confirmed that the individual I removed from the tally does indeed have a 4 speed Duster of the right year and option. That makes 8 current owners here on the board so far, 9 including Dart Sport's.

2 individuals that haven't posted, so I wont say who they are.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven

and honorable mention - Dartnut with his Dart Sport

Still need to see some pictures from Dart Sport. And some more stories.

I will finish my saga here soon, and then probably cut and paste my stories into a build thread like I should have started in the forst place.

Here is my 1974 Duster 360 4-speed. Injured non-original built 340 in it when I bought it, was missing the Tuff Wheel, and the previous owner added the Rallye wheels. Everything else is original & "numbers matching".

p1010323n.jpg

project41.jpg

p1010717f.jpg

p1010718.jpg

project7.jpg

project4.jpg

p1010761p.jpg

I modified the article YellowDartDave e-mailed me so it was easier to read...Thanks again YellowDartDave.

project69.jpg

Some really , really nice Duster 360's here !

I've been a proponent of '72 - '76 A bodies since day 1 ( since seeing a brand new '74 Hang 10 Dart Sport 360 on the showroom in Spring '74 ) . Everyone thought I was crazy for liking --and being enthusiastic about-- these later "smog years" Darts , Dart Sports , Demons and Dusters .

I've heard of 4 speed 360-powered Dusters / Dart Sports being built for 1975 , but am yet to see one ( esp a legitimate one ) . 1974 was supposed to be the final year of performance engine/ manual transmission combinations (e.g. , 360 , 400 HP and 440 ).

Anyone here know whatever became of the infamous Car & Driver 1976 Dart Sport test car ? you know ; the one which beat the Corvette and just about everything else during that test !
It was a non-Ca model , as it was sans catalytic converters ; 220 hp wasn't hard to take during the automotive Dark Ages , right ?

Let's keep those stories and photos coming !

Anyone here know whatever became of the infamous Car & Driver 1976 Dart Sport test car ? you know ; the one which beat the Corvette and just about everything else during that test!

I've not heard of this car/article, but I'd absolutely love to read it.
If anyone else has/knows a link to this article or has the magazine and could photograph or scan it and e-mail it to me I'd be forever grateful.

I cut one up a few years back.

390fc853.jpg

The nice rust free 1/4s are going on my 340 dart

I've not heard of this car/article, but I'd absolutely love to read it.
If anyone else has/knows a link to this article or has the magazine and could photograph or scan it and e-mail it to me I'd be forever grateful.

For what it's worth , it's in the March 1976 issue . It was stealth looking ; light blue with white stripes , and deluxe wheel covers with whitewall tyres !

I've seen the article online ... lemme see if I can find it again ...

Daniel, you were one of the un-named individuals. Ran across some of your posts, but didn't want to name you. Thanks for posting!

So, we still have 8 current owners here on the board so far, 9 including Dart Sport's.

1 individual that hasn't posted, so I wont say who he is.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven
daniel_depetro

Need to get back to this and post the final part of the story of my car. Never enough time.

Just out of curiosity I foolishly sold a 76' E58 360 Duster with build sheet and fender tag but an auto about 10 years ago. I never could find any production info on that car.

You said the 74 360 4 speed was rare what kind of numbers are we talking?

i have one as well.i seriously believe it is a 1 of 1.power steering,power brakes,ac delete,stripe delete,b5 blue,11 in. clutch,3.55 9.25 rear,bench seat,fold down rear seat,factory sunroof car.if anyone has any production numbers on these options i would appreciate it.i'll post pics and stuff soon.

was the dual snorkle air cleaner an option?it has that as well.car has 49,000 original miles and everything including factory spark plugs and wires that were replaced over the years are still in the trunk.even the air cleaner is in there.found paperwork saying the car was bought by a military guy new.it has all the dealership info,window sticker and the option list he checked off for it.also found paperwork saying the car went overseas to turkey with him.bought it for $3000 2 months ago.

Cool, so another one! Love to see some pictures.

So, we still have 9 current owners here on the board so far, 10 including Dart Sport's.

1 individual that hasn't posted, so I wont say who he is.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven
daniel_depetro
manofmopar340

Still need to get back to this and post the final part of the story of my car. Haven't even really been on here, much less even mess with my cars.

i have one as well.i seriously believe it is a 1 of 1.power steering,power brakes,ac delete,stripe delete,b5 blue,11 in. clutch,3.55 9.25 rear,bench seat,fold down rear seat,factory sunroof car.if anyone has any production numbers on these options i would appreciate it.i'll post pics and stuff soon.

was the dual snorkle air cleaner an option?it has that as well.car has 49,000 original miles and everything including factory spark plugs and wires that were replaced over the years are still in the trunk.even the air cleaner is in there.found paperwork saying the car was bought by a military guy new.it has all the dealership info,window sticker and the option list he checked off for it.also found paperwork saying the car went overseas to turkey with him.bought it for $3000 2 months ago.

Not to sound rude, however I'm extremely skeptical.
No dual snorkel air cleaner, A-body 9.25" rear axle, or 11" clutches...

Here's a recent pic of an AZ 74 360 Dart that was sent to me by a friend.

The car was really nice IMO, but I don't know much about the post 72 cars.

I have alot to learn :thumblef:

Attachments

• MATS 2012 Joel's Pics 020 (Small).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 659
Here's a few pics of my Dart Sport 360 4 speed.
Pretty rough i know, but a real one nevertheless....
I'm still collecting the parts to do this one. The body looks rough, but it is pretty solid though.
No original engine or tranny though.

Attachments

• 2010-08-01 14-41-57 - DSC01833.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 649
  • 2010-08-01 14-43-24 - DSC01834.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 678
  • PB250139.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 687
  • 2010-03-16 09-30-24 - DSC01536.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 693
  • 2010-03-16 09-32-12 - DSC01538.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 683