How rare?64 Fairlane 500 Super Coupe

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
How rare is a 64 Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe?I came across this car today..has PS,PB with a rebuilt 289 auto.The car is complete(west coast car)but the guy wasnt around to hear it run.The car just came from Calgary,Alberta.Whats it worth? View attachment image.jpg

Worth what your willing to pay for it and all about supply and Demand.
Cool little car 4 sure and can't imagine you'd hurt yourself up to about 8K but this guess is put forth with no research and assuming it's mechanically sound with a fresh motor.

I do like that car. I had a Sports Coupe same colors, bucket seats, manual trans and it had the 260 V8. Mom sold it to the junk yard while I was off in the USAF. She couldn't wait for me to come home and get it. She got $50. because it didn't run at the time. I didnt even get the $50.

I had one with a hot 289 and 4 speed. looks like a cool car.

How rare is a 64 Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe?

Not very. There were 277,000 or so 1964 Fairlanes assembled. Of which about 21,000 were 65B models, Fairlane 500 Sport Coupes with bucket seats.

There were two 289-4V engines available in the 64 Fairlane, the 210 hp R code and the 271 hp K code. There were 600 K code Fairlanes assembled in 1964. Interestingly, the K code motor was available at the beginning of the 1964 model year, but not installed in the Mustang until June. IIRC, the 273-4V was an A-body only motor that did not come out until the 1965 model year.

Shelby's modifications to the K code produced 306 hp naturally aspirated in the GT 350 and 390 hp with a Paxton supercharger. The K code motor was very pricey because of all the tweaks Ford put into it to get the power out. It was phased out because the 390 and 428 produced similar horsepower, more torque, and were easier to live with for far less cost per unit than the K code. (Also added a bunch more weight on the nose of the car.)

For a little perspective on the situation at Ford, Dodge built 39,000 Demons in the 1972 model year, 8,900 had the 340 or had model code LM. Because Chrysler did not assign a different code in the VIN, it is not for me to know how many had buckets or bench seats. The trim code on the body code plate does contain that information. I was unable to locate any presentation of totals that would be useful. Govier only tracks engine/transmission/make/model combinations for the most part. I do know, courtesy of Govier, that in model year 1972, Dodge built 97 Demon 340s with a folding canvas sunroof. (Code V3?, with the ? being the color for the top.)

I know if I see 2 of them at the top of a hill it's a mirage , just seemed out of place like you bumped the wrong thread or something .

Cool car Scott and it would be great for a Father/Son project. tmm

An A #1 find there Scott, Rare find around here, I could see it having a 7 k price tag on it if it drives as good as it looks with zero rot .

Fun car, had a 65 with 271hp 289 with 4spd. It was fun on the street and strip. 5K would be a good fair price and no way would you get hurt.

Since my Dad helped work on mine I would highly recommend it for a father son project.

Depending on rot could be worth up to 10k to the right buyer, those are popular cars

I think at $5000 to $7500 would be a good place to buy. Check for rust in the trunk, wheel openings and the core support (battery leaks). I just sold my project car this year for good $$$ but it had some T-bolt mods done to it. Oh ya, this is not a good car to make a T-bolt clone out of. T-bolts are sedans, not hardtops.

Attachments

• 2011-09-08 18.27.07.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 224
-
Back