How Safe are Your Jack Stands???

-
I have these, I can’t stand them.

35B808FA-B2CA-49C2-9727-F98482C1C2A8.jpeg

I just broke my effin' HF floor jack today, jacking up the front of the 4WD converted RAM. I had jacked it up to get a tire scribed for alignment and to get a turn plate under. Let it down, moved to other side "no issues" and it suddenly would not jack. Move the handle, nada.

My '68 Dart sat on some recalled Harbor Freight jackstands for five years without issue, though I can't say I wasn't clenched up when I finally had to crawl under there to reinstall the rear end and front suspension to get it back on the ground.

Nothin says "sketchy" like Harbor Freight. :thumbsup:
IMG_0090.JPG

My '68 Dart sat on some recalled Harbor Freight jackstands for five years without issue, though I can't say I wasn't clenched up when I finally had to crawl under there to reinstall the rear end and front suspension to get it back on the ground.

Nothin says "sketchy" like Harbor Freight. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1716024957
I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but I don't understand why a lot of you guys buy cheap tools and have nice cars. Sorry, I just won't buy harbor freight tools

I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but I don't understand why a lot of you guys buy cheap tools and have nice cars. Sorry, I just won't buy harbor freight tools
Money. Same reason my Dart didn't have a floor in it when I bought it - it's what I could afford at the time to get myself wrenching on something.

There are definitely things to stay away from with Harbor Freight, but there's also some deals and value to be had as well. I should also mention that car was the last thing those jackstands held up before I promptly returned them at the first available chance. Definitely not worth the risk.

I'm very paranoid working under the car. I always have 2 support methods as well as the jack. I have jackstands, but I also have hardwood blocks I've made up, probably 12" x 10" x 2" thick, stacked to whatever height I need under the frame rails. I think I trust them more than the jackstands, as far as I know the quality of wood hasn't declined in the last 30 years like steel has....

I'm very paranoid working under the car. I always have 2 support methods as well as the jack. I have jackstands, but I also have hardwood blocks I've made up, probably 12" x 10" x 2" thick, stacked to whatever height I need under the frame rails. I think I trust them more than the jackstands, as far as I know the quality of wood hasn't declined in the last 30 years like steel has....
That’s what I switched to, called cribbing, much safer.

I lost contact with a guy that didn't use any jack stands and got his head crushed. Lost his eye sight,some teeth,and constant headaches.He also lost his home and moved in his mom's garage behind her house.A bunch of people fixed it up for him.It was very sad but he had a wild hair terrier that wasn't trained but was very smart and helped him.It was like an angel for him.He was part of a CB group and was always on it joking and making people laugh.After I started trucking lost contact with him and heard he had passed from complications of his injuries.He had lived 6 years after his injury.

i have a set like these. think i got them in a kit with an alumn jack from pep boys decades ago.. they have held up quite well...

41b-vI8sxjL._SL500_.jpg

Beautiful car and nice, clean work space.

I use Craftsman jack stands but I keep the floor jack in place as well keeping partial weight on all.

That's what I use normally for quick jobs too, some Craftsman stands, I have 3 and 6 ton versions and a Husky jack that stays underneath too. If a tire comes off, I also lay that under the frame as well, just in case, or one of those wheel cribs sometimes.

I don't have expensive ones, but they are multiple times better than the sheetmetal stands and ramps I had as a young idiot.
I'll add that the only time mine were anywhere near maxed out in height was during resto and the car was only a shell. I also wouldn't have them on either side of the diff, I like to get them about as wide as the framerails. I will be going to look at the weld quality though. I might also weld some additional footing on them, but so far I've also only had concrete driveways, no tarmac.

I started out with a pair of Sears stands in the late 70's. Used them for a long time without issue. Still got them but haven't used for a while.....

1671717707616.png

Bought these and have been the set I use now when needed.....

1671717836063.png

My old Walker jack bought new way back has been just fine.......

1671717248220.png

I've got 4 big homemade jack stands that I've had since the mid 80's. They are heavy, but I have never worried about them failing. We made them when I worked in the Transmission crew. The angle iron we made the legs out of came from a steel Transmission like tower we took down. I'll try to dig them out and get a pic tomorrow.

My K Mart floor Jack out lasted my craftsman floor Jack. In fact I still have the k Mart floor Jack, it's over 20 years old and I only added hydraulic oil once

Looks like US Jack is about the best.

I have some 6 ton and 12 ton Hein Werner stands "orange ones" plus some home made 5 ton.I must have 12 pair of stands.

-
Back