How Safe are Your Jack Stands???

-
some lease hunter left one in the center of a grassy two track on company woods roads in Mississippi. To take out an oil pan or ??? and keep others outta their honey hole I suspect. I saw it before it damaged my work truck - been using it for what it was made for ever since and the guy hunts somewhere else now.

I've never heard of a jack stand failing. There are however lots of sad stories about cars falling off of jack stands. Never go under a car without a secondary safe guard like a floor jack, cribbing or even a spare tire.

I've never heard of a jack stand failing. There are however lots of sad stories about cars falling off of jack stands. Never go under a car without a secondary safe guard like a floor jack, cribbing or even a spare tire.
Harbor Freight had a recall for Jack stands failing.
I put the tire under the car for a GOD forbid, just incase.

Bought the large HF stands in the mid 2000's. No problems thus far. I have a bunch of other stands from various periods. Never had a problem but I don't over tax my equipment either...

JW

I got these from Northern tool, after I returned the Harbor Freight recalled ones. I got two pair of 3 ton for cars, and a pair of 6 ton for the diesel trucks. They have a wedge that locks the idea in place, plus a lock bolt. I have lots of confidence in them, they are probably 1000% safer than some of the garbage stands I have used over the years.
(By the way, I never had any problems, or lack of faith in the recall HF).

20200623_100619.jpg

20200623_100635.jpg

I got these from Northern tool, after I returned the Harbor Freight recalled ones. I got two pair of 3 ton for cars, and a pair of 6 ton for the diesel trucks. They have a wedge that locks the idea in place, plus a lock bolt. I have lots of confidence in them, they are probably 1000% safer than some of the garbage stands I have used over the years.
(By the way, I never had any problems, or lack of faith in the recall HF).

View attachment 1716025898

View attachment 1716025899
Harbor freight implemented similar locking pins in their newer designs, never had any issues with them either. Any additional redundancies to keep my car from crushing me is a plus in my book - I still agree with some other members in also using wood blocks or cribbing in addition to the jackstands when I can. :thumbsup:

Mine are all Craftsman. I have 6 under each of my Cuda’s. I also have cinder blocks under the tires. Safety first.

Beautiful car and nice, clean work space.

I use Craftsman jack stands but I keep the floor jack in place as well keeping partial weight on all.
Same here. The craftsman jack I have is a 2 ton I believe. The stands are very good. However, the actual jack is sorta hard to release the pressure without it going too fast. Hard to control the letdown speed.

I've been in HF several times, the tools that I looked at just didn't impress me. I guess it comes from me being used to name brand tools and equipment. My brother in law has bought power tools from there and wound up returning them as the quality and performance of the tool wasn't there. Cheaper is not always better.

They better be safe, 6 ton from Cornwell $350 for 4 of them

I started out with a pair of Sears stands in the late 70's. Used them for a long time without issue. Still got them but haven't used for a while.....

View attachment 1716024993

Bought these and have been the set I use now when needed.....

View attachment 1716024994

My old Walker jack bought new way back has been just fine.......

View attachment 1716024991
I have 2 of those blue type under the front of my dart right now. They're not safe enough for me I can rock the car too and fro an inch or so

I don't trust hydraulic jacks or jack stands anymore. I have had both fail. I now set the car on jack stands and then leave both of my hydraulic jacks just barely touching a good spot under the vehicle.

Jack

I don't trust hydraulic jacks or jack stands anymore. I have had both fail. I now set the car on jack stands and then leave both of my hydraulic jacks just barely touching a good spot under the vehicle.

Jack
So when they both fail at the same time......lol

-
Back