hughes or comp camshaft

-
sigh... yet anoter member of the "chevy lobe" flock...

BTW, when i spec custom cams, I usually use lobes that are designed for the .875 Ford lifter...lol. Same reasons - Too fast for a street car sometimes is just too fast. The last "Ford cam" I ordered made just shy of 600hp in a 512" RB and idles quietly at 900rpm. And it was ground by Engle.

Unless you pay like 250 for one of their specialty grinds, it's pretty much true. All they know is 110 LSA. What good is that for the most part? Nuthin.

And what about the difference between the comp and the hughes I selected. Does the huge price difference justify the choice to choose hughes, for better performance and durability over the comp, or can they both make me happy (maybe one step bigger on both cams)

Antoon

What about a custom-grind Racer Brown cam? That will be my next choice when I build another small block...

And what about the difference between the comp and the hughes I selected. Does the huge price difference justify the choice to choose hughes, for better performance and durability over the comp, or can they both make me happy (maybe one step bigger on both cams)

Antoon

Hughes would have you think so. But I don't.

Yeah, it seems that every manufacturer says their stuff is the best because of so and so...bla bla bla. Which is fine offcourse since they just want to sell their stuff.
It's just difficult for novice engine builders to see through all that, and select something that works and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, just because they say you really need it.

Antoon

My own remark got me thinking. Isn't there perhaps an independent camshaft/engine guru who isn't married to hughes/comp/racer brown............ etc etc etc, who can give a solid advice on which parts to buy depending on your personal wishes?

Antoon

Like the guy above recommended, give Bullet cams a call and tell them what you're after.

They've been making people happy with custom cams for a long time.

That's a lot of motor and a semi-specialized range of operation for it. Don't cheap out on your motor's brain! (not that Bullet is particularly expensive)

Good luck

My own remark got me thinking. Isn't there perhaps an independent camshaft/engine guru who isn't married to hughes/comp/racer brown............ etc etc etc, who can give a solid advice on which parts to buy depending on your personal wishes?

Antoon

Antoon you have an apparent misunderstanding of Racer Brown or you wouldn't have mentioned him in the same grouping with Comp and Hughes. Racer Brown is an independent cam grinder and is solely ran and operated by 1 person, Jim Dowell. If you call Jim you will talk to the man who not only grinds the cam but also packages it up and bills you for it. Very knowledgeable person and very pleasant guy to talk to you. Never talks down to you or tries to talk over your head (like Comp techs). That's why Jim gets all the business I can give him. The only place you will even find anything about him on the internet is on Don Gould's website which he doesn't even have permission to post Racer Brown stuff on, according to Jim. I never mentioned him earlier because I thought you had your mind made up to go with a Hughes or Comp.

No I haven't relly set my mind onto anything. It's just real hard to see through the woods of all sellers who claim their product is the best.
I just want good quality, at a good price.
I also didn't know about racer brown so I will try that as well. Do both off them also have an email adres? Kind of expensive calling from the netherlands to the usa to discuss something like this.

Thanks,

Antoon

I dont like either cam grinder. Hughes IMO are too fast rates of lift for some things. There IS such a thing as too fast a rat of lift. If I was building something as you describe to drive everyday and be extremely reliable, I wouldn't even be building a stroker. Not that it cannot be done.....but it's almost like you're wasting a stroker motor. A good hot stock stroke 360 could do what you're motor is gonna do. To me, building a stroker means an all out plethora of badassary. Just doesn't make sense to me any other way.
x2 milage????

The first time I called Engle, Mark Engle answered. The cost of thier total custom cam, to my specs, was $195. Cheaper with good lifters than a Comp shelf grind and it did everything it was supposed to. A custom cam grinder will talk to you assuing you take the time to listen and really understand what they are saying. The big company tech lines are useless once you have some idea of how a cam works.
As far as experience w/costs... Crane is the higher end of the cost spectrum, but I frankly love a lot of thier cam grinds and overall I've run more of thiers than any other. Bullet is close to the Comp custom cam costs. But, Bullet makes a phenominal cam too.
The biggest decision is not who sells it, but what it is, when you talk cams. You will hear this a lot, but cost should not be a factor in cam choice. For me, it's about accuracy and quality. If I buy a camshaft and it's not exactly what the card says I will probably not run them again. For me, MP reached that point almost a decade ago.

...and just to clarify, I'm not a Hughes hater. Far from it. They have some excellent grinds. I am just not a proponent of using the fastest rates of lift ALL the time. It's just not necessary. You might also check out Chet Herbert cams. They have some good grinds as well.

Offcourse. Quality of the grind is the most important factor of it all, but with all other things equal, cost is the second most important factor for me.

I'll try engle as well.

Thanks,

Antoon

Antoon, Jim at Racer Brown's e-mail address is [email protected]

Just to let you know the last cam/lifter set I bought from him cost $293 plus shipping. I haven't done any shopping around since then but at that time it was right at the same price of an off the shelf Comp set at Summit. I know cost isn't the most important factor but a lower price always helps.

Best luck in getting what you need.

Thanks fishy!!

Anybody have an email adres for Engle and Bullit?

Thank,

Antoon

Thanks fishy!!

Anybody have an email adres for Engle and Bullit?

Thank,

Antoon

Best to Call Bullet. You need to have all your specs when you call. Weight of the car, Engine, Compression, Fuel, Trans, Gears, Intended use etc.

http://bulletcams.com/

The new home of UltraDyne Cams!
Call us at (662)893-8022 for the original UltraDyne power and quality with the quick service you've come to expect from the crew at Bullet!

After consulting Bullet racing cams, they sugested a cam with these specs.

GRIND CRA266/272F109+4
MASTERS F266/320 F272/318
DUR @ .050 235/241
LIFT .480/.477
LSA 109
INT C/L 105

It's a solid cam.

What do you guys think about this one. Will it achieve my goals??

Thanks,

Antoon

Seems kinda short on lift, but then I am no expert.

Neither.
You need more cam for the 4'' arm, more stroke eats up duration and will lower the advertised power range of the cams ur looking at, the motor will run out of steam way before you think.
I look for around 248-254*@ .050 with a mild 408/4'' arm sb
run this one for the hughes

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...&level2=RmxhdCBUYXBwZXQsIFNvbGlk&partid=21801

or this one from comp

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=671&sb=2

yes, the rockers will survive.

The hyd flat tappet 292H cam from Comp is also a nice one. Mine is 10-1 CR, eddy heads, single plane manifold and makes 500HP at 6000. Nice idle too. Cam starts waking up at about 2500.

Seems kinda short on lift, but then I am no expert.

That's probably based more on what they feel his heads will be capable of. It will move the air from seat to .400, and lift at the valve will be in the .450/.440 range depending on lash which is about right for a typical mild X/J/etc head.

-
Back