I got a good deal and need advise

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I got a deal on a 8 3/4 rear end for my 65 barracuda. I got the housing and a 489 cased sure grip with 3:23 gears in it. Sway bar and coil over shocks with some cool chrome traction barswere also included.
The center section has been sitting on a shelf for a few years with associated layer of dirt settling on it. Stayed dry, but not in climate control.
No rust showing on it.
I just want to clean the gears before installing in the car. Whats the best way to do it without taking the case apart. Can I just spray the whole thing with engine cleaner and pressure wash it ,case and gears?
Also, the sway bar mounting brackets were welded to the donor car and I couldnt get them off. I was wondering who would sell something like that.
Any suggestions on cleaning the rear end?
Dan

Pressure wash it. It will be fine. Lose the coil over. they will work against the leaf springs. So will the traction bars unless they are adjusted right.

A place like ADDCO used to and may still surply MP with swap bars. You could try them for the tabs as well as other places that deal in suspension like P-S-T .com. or Heliwig.

Those Chrome slapper bars should be sold to the nearest Chevy guy and the money rolled over into ethier good springs (Leafs) and/or a pinion snubber.

As mentioned above, a good pressure washing is more than enuff. Let air dry in the sun after you blow it out with compressed air. Light surface rust is not an issue.

Here I thought the package deal was worth it because of all the extras I got with it. Didn't realize traction bars were tabo on a mopar. Even got all the brakes with new hardware and drums. and custom axles with small bolt pattern.
Is there something I need to look for before I install the rear. How would I check the sure grip unit? It is the clutch type sure grip and as far as I was told it worked well, but the guy wanted a better set up. He said he switched to a posi traction unit. Different from the sure grip. Any way, When I turn the pinion back and forth, I can hear a slight clicking between the pinion gear and the ring gear. I guess this is called backlash. How much is too much?

Actual amount I am unaware of. Somebody may know this measurement. A look into a few sites that deal in rears as a biz may help. Randys ring and pinion, strange Moser, Dr. Diff, etc......

You can look at the wear pattern on the teeth for good alignment. That's all I got. Sorry.

I'd buy a couple cans of brake clean and spray out the gears and case, prob wouldn't spray water in there. Back lash is around 10 thou measuring on the ring gear teeth.

-
Back