i got an interesting job offer yesterday

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
as some of you might know, my oldest is a second degree black belt in teakwondo
hes been doing it since he was 6 or so

i remember taking him to his first few classes and asking him if he was serious about it, because if he was, i was going to pay for the course to be a black belt (a 3 year commitment, but about 20% cheaper to pay in full them paying it on a monthly basis)

he said he was and he has stuck with it

over the last few years he has gone through their "leadership training" and "instruction bootcamp" courses (both of which are by invitation only)
and as part of that curriculum he helped "teach" a few classes during the summer

yesterday, i got a phone call from the owner of the dojo, asking me if i thought my boy would be interested in stepping up and taking on what can best be described as an internship
she made it clear he wouldnt be able to lead full classes on his own untill he is at least 16, but they wanted to get him ready to be on the roster as a floater

needless to say he was really excited about it (and i personally feel this would be a much better environment for his first job then flipping burgers)

when he came home from his class last night he had his very first official job application...it even has a space labeled "salary desired (be specific)"

now, i understand most of us were pushing brooms and cutting lawns at his age (which by the way, he also does lawns for several people) but in todays society, to be 13 and offered a position like this has to be a testament to his character

needless to say, im proud of him

I’d be very proud of my son for sure. I also took that art up as a kid. It’s pretty good. If my instructor asked me what I would like to be paid, I’d say in free classes and a small nominal fee. Something age appropriate. Discuss that with your son.

Now is also an excellent time to talk about money with your son.
I had this talk with my kids and told them they can spend half of what they earn on whatever they want. (Within reason of course, sensible items, not dumb stuff, age appropriate.)
I said to them, the other half has to go into the bank for savings.
Then we talked about the big ticket items worthy of attention and time to save for. Being kids, it was things like bicycles, stereo, etc… when they got older, late teens it was 401/457 retirement stuff. They hated that. Until I broke out what I had done in 33 years. I then said, how much more can you do with adding an additional 10-15 or even 20+ years?

Oh the thoughts of little ones dreaming of becoming millionaires!!!

So worth it!

Congratulations!!!!! I dang proud of you both. This is a worthy mile marker in life. Carpe diem!!!!!!!

Yes, he must have a great outlook on life and understand others very well to get this offer, congratulations :thumbsup:

Never flipped a burger in my life, neither have my two sons, I sure do understand you being proud .

I'll add an "AMEN" to everything @rumblefish360 said above. If he starts saving when he is young and never misses it, he will be able to retire comfortably when he's old. He has an excellent opportunity to be in the 'Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life' category, so that is a big plus in his favor.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I’d be very proud of my son for sure. I also took that art up as a kid. It’s pretty good. If my instructor asked me what I would like to be paid, I’d say in free classes and a small nominal fee. Something age appropriate. Discuss that with your son.

Now is also an excellent time to talk about money with your son.
I had this talk with my kids and told them they can spend half of what they earn on whatever they want. (Within reason of course, sensible items, not dumb stuff, age appropriate.)
I said to them, the other half has to go into the bank for savings.
Then we talked about the big ticket items worthy of attention and time to save for. Being kids, it was things like bicycles, stereo, etc… when they got older, late teens it was 401/457 retirement stuff. They hated that. Until I broke out what I had done in 33 years. I then said, how much more can you do with adding an additional 10-15 or even 20+ years?

Oh the thoughts of little ones dreaming of becoming millionaires!!!

So worth it!

Congratulations!!!!! I dang proud of you both. This is a worthy mile marker in life. Carpe diem!!!!!!!
thanks, he is pretty good with his money
of course there are things he spends it on i consider as "frivolous" but at the same time, he biked into town yesterday to buy a new head for his snare drum

that was pretty cool

he has learned not to keep more then $50 cash on him, that allows his some spending money and some saving money
so if he gets paid for mowing a lawn, hell put whatever he needs to get to 50 in his wallet and the rest in his safe

on top of that, hes a faithfull tither and he has no problem sharing

him and his buddies will bike downtown and stop at mickey Ds or wherever and they take turns paying without keeping too tight a count of whose turn it is

I'll add an "AMEN" to everything @rumblefish360 said above. If he starts saving when he is young and never misses it, he will be able to retire comfortably when he's old. He has an excellent opportunity to be in the 'Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life' category, so that is a big plus in his favor.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great point
not only is he good at his sport, he enjoys both practicing it and teaching it
i think he will do great as an instructor

as some of you might know, my oldest is a second degree black belt in teakwondo
hes been doing it since he was 6 or so

i remember taking him to his first few classes and asking him if he was serious about it, because if he was, i was going to pay for the course to be a black belt (a 3 year commitment, but about 20% cheaper to pay in full them paying it on a monthly basis)

he said he was and he has stuck with it

over the last few years he has gone through their "leadership training" and "instruction bootcamp" courses (both of which are by invitation only)
and as part of that curriculum he helped "teach" a few classes during the summer

yesterday, i got a phone call from the owner of the dojo, asking me if i thought my boy would be interested in stepping up and taking on what can best be described as an internship
she made it clear he wouldnt be able to lead full classes on his own untill he is at least 16, but they wanted to get him ready to be on the roster as a floater

needless to say he was really excited about it (and i personally feel this would be a much better environment for his first job then flipping burgers)

when he came home from his class last night he had his very first official job application...it even has a space labeled "salary desired (be specific)"

now, i understand most of us were pushing brooms and cutting lawns at his age (which by the way, he also does lawns for several people) but in todays society, to be 13 and offered a position like this has to be a testament to his character

needless to say, im proud of him
What a great opportunity. My son and I are both 2nd degree black belts in Tae Kwon Do. I just retired as it wasn't the same without him going when he left for college ( I continued for 4 more years after him). You never really master the practice until you teach it to someone. Takes skill and patience. I taught classes for 8 years. We didn't get paid, just trained for free once teaching. He will learn a lot about people, overcoming shortcomings, patience, etc. This will be a great character building experience. Congrats.

This will be a great character building experience. Congrats.
Funny you mentioned that
One of the reasons we signed him up in the first place was as a bit of a character builder

(He was a bit of a wild one and we thought the discipline would serve him well)

I honestly think he would make a great instructor

Funny you mentioned that
One of the reasons we signed him up in the first place was as a bit of a character builder

(He was a bit of a wild one and we thought the discipline would serve him well)

I honestly think he would make a great instructor
One of the best character builders we had, was didn't just train together, but we also sparred and grappled. Keeps everyone in check, if you get my drift. The only issue with being an instructor at such a young age is they are still figuring themselves out. I have seen it go badly. No disrespect for your son, that is awesome. Our school wouldn't allow instruction until 18. Help and teach, yes. no instruction.

Got the call last nite...hes got the job
Well sorta

The state won't let him be gainfully employed untill he's 14, so he will be "volunteering" for a few months starting next Tuesday and join the payroll in February

-
Back