I got questions, anyone have answers?

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
Question number one:

The mechanics who worked on my car said I have my front spindles on backwards. they are the disc brake spindles off a 74 dart. are the calipers supposed to be in the front or the back?

is this different than if they were 68 dart disc spindles?

I cannot mount my power steering pump on my car due to interference with the motor mount.

the pump is off a 78ish Cordoba, I have the newer style radiator / water pump on my car which necessitates using that style of power steering pump. Is it ok to slice off some of the motor mount with say an angle grinder to make enough clearance for the pump to be moved into position?

anyone ever hear of or actually perform the task of spraying used motor oil on the underside of your car instead of pricier products in order to fight/prevent corrosion from road salt and other enemies of cars?

anyone know where I can get an S link for a Carter 625 CFM 4 barrel carb that connects to the accelerator pump? And is anyone amazed my car runs without the accelerator pump hooked up?

that is all for now.

Question number one:

The mechanics who worked on my car said I have my front spindles on backwards. they are the disc brake spindles off a 74 dart. are the calipers supposed to be in the front or the back?

is this different than if they were 68 dart disc spindles?

I cannot mount my power steering pump on my car due to interference with the motor mount.

the pump is off a 78ish Cordoba, I have the newer style radiator / water pump on my car which necessitates using that style of power steering pump. Is it ok to slice off some of the motor mount with say an angle grinder to make enough clearance for the pump to be moved into position?

anyone ever hear of or actually perform the task of spraying used motor oil on the underside of your car instead of pricier products in order to fight/prevent corrosion from road salt and other enemies of cars?

anyone know where I can get an S link for a Carter 625 CFM 4 barrel carb that connects to the accelerator pump? And is anyone amazed my car runs without the accelerator pump hooked up?

that is all for now.

It is possible for the spindle to be on backwards. my calipers are twords the front of the car. i actaully may have an S that'll fit your carb, PM me your addy and ill stick it in an envelope. Its off a 725? cfm carter comp series, should work. It has a stripped jet in it, so parts it is!

The mechanics who worked on your car, Did he say there is a problem running them bacwords?
he may have been looking for work.:dontknow:

I have a couple old carters in the shed at the other house, Let me take a look tomorrow.

Is anyone amazed my car runs without the accelerator pump hooked up!!

You must have it set up right with a good spark and have good vacuum.
Ain't mopars amazing.:hello1:

the problem they are saying with the spindles being on backwards is an inability to get positive caster in the alignment. my calipers are on the frontal side of the spindles.

the tail pipes got plenty of soot, so we think its running due to excessive richness of the fuel air mix :D

I'll get you a PM Goody, thanks guys

Yes the spidnles being reverse can throw the caster angles off. You want caster to be setup right. How mechanically inclined are you? its really not too hard of a job, a little time consuming. or maybe soemone local can lend a hand? calipers on the wrong side can also strech/stress your flex brake lines when steering pretty well too.

I have 74 disks on my car...the calipers are on the backside. To get more positive caster use the offset upper control arm bushings. I went to cap's tubular ucl, it gave me 5degrees. It runs straight at speed and handles well. You should be able to get close using the offset bushings from Moog. This is before the cap ucl's.

100_1286.jpg

My 74 Scamp has disks up front, and my calipers too are on the backside.

the spindles are SYMMETRICAL. that means that the SAI (steering axis incline) will not be affected nor will caster be affected. your mechanics are looking for work. this trick of attaching them with the caliper to the front or rear has been done for years. the calipers were placed to the rear in 73 to clear the sway bar which moved further inboard than 72 and earlier. go get an alignment and see if its within specs. ill bet it is. i have my calipers to the rear and have no problems with alignment. tell them to call my shop if they don't believe me.

i am running my dart with a accelerator pump that doesnt work all that great and it runs too! worse when cold. i have already rebuilt it but lately just started doing this. time to open her up again.

Robbie2734, redfastback, 321Scamp.

The picture above is the correct way to do things, IE factory?

I'm about to start cleaning my parts to swap out the drums up front. I have the upper control arms and spindles from a '73 Duster (I think*, it's been awhile) and I just wanted to make sure there done right, correctly.

74 style calibers came through with them on the front.. but you can swap them side to side with no problems.

you running a small block? if so what timing cover are you running? the early or later one. what k-frame?

i know if you run the alumn style water pump and matching timing cover with a 72 and earlier k-frame then you'll need a 70 - 72 power steering pump. it has the high pressure line on the fromt corner of it wich lets it clear the motor mount. i have one here if you want pics of it. the brackets are getting hard to find though. not sure if http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/ is sellin repops or not.

Any issue with swapping upper control arms from side to side?
Or doing it by mistake?

the spindles are SYMMETRICAL. that means that the SAI (steering axis incline) will not be affected nor will caster be affected. your mechanics are looking for work. this trick of attaching them with the caliper to the front or rear has been done for years. the calipers were placed to the rear in 73 to clear the sway bar which moved further inboard than 72 and earlier. go get an alignment and see if its within specs. ill bet it is. i have my calipers to the rear and have no problems with alignment. tell them to call my shop if they don't believe me.

i am running my dart with a accelerator pump that doesnt work all that great and it runs too! worse when cold. i have already rebuilt it but lately just started doing this. time to open her up again.

I agree,its common not to have enough adjustment,I went with tubular uppers just for that reason.Fwiw Ive also got a couple of k-frame/disc brake setups from non sway bar 74-76 dusters and the calipers were mounted to the front from the factory.

Thanks Joe. I'll assume the pictures above are correct. Time to go clean'em up.

check out this picture,,, this is what the power steering pump looks like that you need.

pulley068.jpg

The 73+ A-body disk brakes cars have the caliper mounted to the front. Many folks will swap spindles side to side so the calipers can be mounted to the rear on pre 73 a-bodies to make room for the pre 73 style sway bar.

As others have stated and has been written scores of times in magazine articles these spindles are symmetrical so you can mount them either side and it will not effect the alignment.

I recently swapped power steering into my car and used the pump and brackets from a 73 Dart. The pump is mounted in a similar position to the picture above put the pump is different. In any case it fits and clears the motor mounts with plenty of room to spare.

i have the 'newer' style water pump... as pictured, I do not have the 68 style radiator and water pump.

what years these are from not sure, `70 plus?

I kind of thought the spindles would be equally well either way, my car has no sway bar to be in the way.

the k frame I would imagine is the original 68 k frame. I never changed it, and while the car came with LOTS of documentation, there is always the possibility something was left out and I would not be able to tell the difference between a 68 k and a 76 k.

since I do not have the original stuff, I cannot put an original style pump on, mounted differently, I have the brackets already and the pump, the issue at hand is the motor mount, can it be modified?

my camera sucks, so I doubt I could get a good enough pic of the motor mount to explain the situation better, a peice which is not on my sister in laws 70 dart is in the way, if it is not on hers I would assume it could be removed from mine, much like an appendix.

thanks for the input guys, muchly appreciated

i have the 'newer' style water pump... as pictured, I do not have the 68 style radiator and water pump.

what years these are from not sure, `70 plus?

I kind of thought the spindles would be equally well either way, my car has no sway bar to be in the way.

the k frame I would imagine is the original 68 k frame. I never changed it, and while the car came with LOTS of documentation, there is always the possibility something was left out and I would not be able to tell the difference between a 68 k and a 76 k.

since I do not have the original stuff, I cannot put an original style pump on, mounted differently, I have the brackets already and the pump, the issue at hand is the motor mount, can it be modified?

my camera sucks, so I doubt I could get a good enough pic of the motor mount to explain the situation better, a peice which is not on my sister in laws 70 dart is in the way, if it is not on hers I would assume it could be removed from mine, much like an appendix.

thanks for the input guys, muchly appreciated

yea thats the newer pum and timing cover. that pump looks to be the 73 - up stule.. look at the picture i posted from the service manual. see where the high pressure line goes? its on the front corner so it won't hit the motor mount.

Thanks Joe. I'll assume the pictures above are correct. Time to go clean'em up.

the front end picture above has the calibers behind the wheel.. it works fine that way.. you may need to use the brake hose from something other then a 73-up a-body though.

yea thats the newer pum and timing cover. that pump looks to be the 73 - up stule.. look at the picture i posted from the service manual. see where the high pressure line goes? its on the front corner so it won't hit the motor mount.

so you are saying I use the pump shown with the timing cover I have as well as the brackets?

do you know the name / part number of that pump?

my k frame is like the 67 - 72, but there is a peice of metal that goes forward from the driver side motor mount that is not in these pics. I bet it could be lopped off without any problems, will try and picture it tomorrow

so you are saying I use the pump shown with the timing cover I have as well as the brackets?

do you know the name / part number of that pump?

you need the pump in the service manual picture i posted. it will work with your timing cover and water pump. the name or part number i'm not sure of.. i may have one in the shed new in the box for jamies car. if so i'll see if it has any numbers on it... you would still need the nrackets though... i've only seen thost pumps on 70 to 72 a-bodies. even 6 cyl cars have them but the mounting brackets and maybe the pulley are different . not saying that other cars didn't come with them but i went crazy years ago looking for the pump and the only thing i found it on was a 70 - 72 a-body.

Hey bro, the spindles we put on your car are on there the same way they were removed from the '73 I got them off of. If you have no tire wear and it drives good then whats the problem?

-
Back