I have a Headache.... Need some insight into Exhaust...

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't the "Exhaust forum" but it is a Early A body and this is more suited to early A-body people.

First off: My build is a 1965 Barracuda. Originally it was a 225/auto but is now a supercharged 5.9 magnum w/ 46re swap. Here is my build: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/1965-mmp-barracuda-sc-5-9-46re-swap.356333/

So I have been searching for the best solution for headers or manifolds. But i just can't see slapping on a set of stocker manifolds onto this build.. ugh So that's out.
I've been on the hunt and I looked at hookers but I'm not into cutting my fender wells. I looked at TTI and wasn't too impressed but... "my worry is about how low they hang."
Then I found Doug's read some good things as well as bad but out of them all these seemed to be the best "fit" no pun intended for my build... Then I noticed in small print "Does not fit with 727" Which mean will not fit the 46re either Fuuuuuck....
Back to square one... Now I know some where in my build I mentioned building my own set of headers. In theory it sounds good but the amount of time and money that will be put into them will out-way the cost of one of these if I can make them work. -lazy-

Okay lay it on me Layson/Spitfire... I can make these work but **** they are ugly. Also performance, I haven't found anybody that said anything about it other than the Layson's own website. Surprisingly it's hard to find any real info from customers who have these (Layson) not spitfire.

Anybody got an opinion on this subject, lets here it...
-Thanks

This will be a interesting thread. Looks like you've been doing your homework. The Spitfires from what I understand flow one step better than 340 manifolds although I have never seen any dyno results. They also exit right over the torsion bars and the exhaust pipe is a pretty tricky design. May be someone has a set of Dougs that you can try with the o/d tranny. If you are pushing in pressure you need free flow out. (you already knew that)

maybe find out more about where dougs interference is with the trans, might be minor? Then modify
tube(s)
From what I understand or can put together from pictures is that the collectors have little room at the bell housing and to get around the torsion bars they dive towards the manual trans after the bell.
This would bring them into the wide body, shifter linkage, and pan of the "727"

Are TTIs collector too low? If so I have seen oval exhaust tubing don't know what sizes. Hack
off TTIs collector and crush to approximate oval shape and transition into round to get some extra
clearance. Lots of fuckin fun early A.

Thanks I have read through most of these. But believe me I'll keep reading
thank you...

Hedman 78500 tight tube?
Umm I have not checked on the headman. I was worried about them hitting the cast mount block on the magnum motor. Rumor is you have to grind the mount block off.
But might not be a bad direction to go...
thanks

I have a 340 4spd in a 64 dart. about 40 yrs ago nobody made headers for this app, so my friend, Art, talked me into building the headers for my app, by ourselves. We bought some SB mopar headers for some other app., along with a box full of mandrel u-bends. We cut off the tubes about an inch or two from the flange, and shuffled some of the tubes, combined pieces of the u-bends, drank some beer, worked all night, and voila one-off headers!

Iirc, some folks were able to make Doug's work with the 727 and a minor amount of re work.

I think some even did fit?

Sanderson DD8 / Early A Shorty Headers Post#4 Old thread and the member hasn't been online for a couple months. You might want to send him a personal message and he may get a e mail alert (if his settings are right)

hahaha :eek: I just finished reading his post on how he got them to fit...
taking another look a Layson's Not too worried about the dump out on the torsion bars as much and flow. i can work around the exit..

I liked the Sanderson's but they need heavy mods done to the #1 tube and to fit early A's
and also modification of the block casting "magnum mounts"

But thanks everyone so far the input has been awesome!

hahaha :eek: I just finished reading his post on how he got them to fit...
taking another look a Layson's Not too worried about the dump out on the torsion bars as much and flow. i can work around the exit..

I liked the Sanderson's but they need heavy mods done to the #1 tube and to fit early A's
and also modification of the block casting "magnum mounts"

But thanks everyone so far the input has been awesome!
Say Hi to Force next time you drive by his shop. LOL Post back what you find out and what you do. Inquiring minds want to know.

Say Hi to Force next time you drive by his shop. LOL Post back what you find out and what you do. Inquiring minds want to know.
Lol I live walking distance from his house its just down the street and his old shop it about a mile from me. I used to see him all the time at the gas station. Not so much anymore. Heard he has another shop some where in the midwest now. His PR/Sponsership guy is my sons basketball coach.
Yorba Linda is a small town in a big state.

x18 casting magnum big mouth logs into 2.5 head pipes to some full flow mufflers. That or build your own. Not that hard if you got the time. I have owned 2 and dealt with this issue off and on for 30 years. Put #1 tube straight down and back under steering gear, 3 goes up and over 5 like many shelf headers and down behind 7. 7 is stock down and back. So you may end up with only 1.5 tubes off a stock 67 set that need to be modded. Passenger side is a drop in but you may brush against the idler arm, should be able to figure that one out. Logs are not bad with a healthy head pipe.

I don't personally know how well the TTI headers fit YOUR particular car, but, in the wife's '67 Cuda there very good.
Excellent ground clearance.

On the other headers.... being ugly.... does it really matter once there in there?

Well, Just ordered a set of Layson's that fit the "slant 6 to v8 SMC swap".
So guess we'll just have to sit back and see how this turns out... :poke:

I got the Layson's headers today; Thanks to Rick@laysons.
The magnum motor uses bolts not studs for the head so I was able to slide these in to place "they fell in" I was surprised. I have a **** ton of room. As if built for my build combo. There is no block or fenderwell interference. I have plenty of room to work around the torsion bars, and the starter isn't in the way. "If needed you could run the OG starter" insted of a mini. Looking down from the top on the drivers side it looks as if it maybe too close to the trans bell housing, where the starter mounts so i took some pictures with my hand in between the two to show the room i have... lots..
To say the least I'm very impressed with the fit. As longs as these flow better than the stock 340 manifolds these will do fine for and with my build.
In the pictures you will notice the lack of steering gear and oil filter. I'm running a manual set up for steering which i know will clear and i have a remote oil filter. I will say if you running a 90° filter adaptor you may have an issue with your matting exhaust for these. Oh and my car is a cable shift car. No z bar to worry about either.

20170930_154542.jpg
20170930_184010.jpg
20170930_184023.jpg
20170930_184344.jpg
20170930_184352.jpg
20170930_184410.jpg
20170930_184415.jpg

Nice fit. Schumacher mounts? Looks like the Magnum might sit a little higher which is a plus for clearance.

Nice fit. Schumacher mounts? Looks like the Magnum might sit a little higher which is a plus for clearance.
Trans-adapt conversion kit from /6 to 360

Small update I didn't post pic's from under the car, for clearance so here they are.. Just in case some one is interested...

This is with the 46RE (727od) trans installed. Wider than the stock to early A-body 904's and Much wider than any manual option.

Passenger side:
20171007_174148.jpg

Driver side:
20171007_174157.jpg

Looks like lots of clearance. Nice. Keep those photos comin'

I've always thought the Spitfire/Laysons pattern header looked like a good start on a tri-Y that somehow never quite made it in the end. Re-do the two upper collectors and run a pair of 2" secondary tubes down into a 2.5" collector down by the torsion bar (parallel to, but with a little clearance).

-
Back