"I was told"

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So help me translate this phrase that keeps appearing in ads....

"I was told" ..... means:

A. I really don't know and I don't want to research for myself

B. It's just something sellers say, so to be cool I will say it too

C. I do know but I don't want to say and would rather be vague in hopes that I'll get more money for the item im selling

D. None of the above, so tell me

C. I do know but I don't want to say and would rather be vague in hopes that I'll get more money for the item im selling

E. All of the above

"What is coming next sounds real good, will add value to the car and bump up the price...but is totally unverifiable"

usually it's some of A and lot of C in certain cases but mostly B

if i use "i was told" i'll follow it up with a qualifier: i was told this [blank] fits or came from a [blank], i'm not 100% sure but the part number correlates to this span of years so it may be correct for what you're trying to do.

It's one of the stupidest phrases in the automotive world and perhaps anywhere else. I translate it to mean "I'm an ignorant idiot" when I hear someone say it or see it in type.

• "I was told" can mean "I'm just relaying what the previous owner said, but I have no way of knowing..."
  • "I was told" can mean "this can be done using this method, but I haven't verified myself"
  • "I was told" can also be a cop-out for somebody not wanting to tell the truth.
  • So now "I will tell you".... lol .... "I was told" actually means "USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT"

I was told this part was good so I’m going to ask top dollar for it even though I can’t/wont verify it as a good part or even will fit your car etc. Kim

I was told she was 18.

01 face 11.GIF

For me, it's an unknown. The car I just acquired; the owner told me that the camshaft was changed. By the roughness of the idle, I deemed it true, but I don't know the specs of said camshaft nor does the previous owner. This is what "I was told".

“ I was told “ falls into the same category as “ The seller states”. People flipping or helping sell vehicles they know NOTHING about. These half *** frases keep them from being held accountable when the deal goes bad. We were TOLD the car had a 340 in it. Sorry you paid 40 large for it and it has a 318..!! All sales final..!! Do your homework people the information is out there..!! Swingn’

B.S. ,first thing that popped into my mind...

"I was told" is a statement from a person that doesn't have a clue from a person that also doesn't have a clue.

"I was told", everything after that is probably B/S. I've also said that, but I follow with, I don't have any paper work. I like to think I can judge people somewhat, but I have been screwed a couple times. I find car guys of my era (old), are a little more easy to read, as age mellows you. Like to think so anyway. :) :)

Last edited:
I find car guys of my era, are a little more easy to read, as age mellows you.
Agreed. I find it's much easier being "straight up" with someone, and letting them decide what to do, or buy, based on what I know to be facts, rather than reciting opinions, hearsay, or spouting outright lies and/or BS.

Plus, less stuff to remember, and much better Karma.

A. I really don't know and I don't want to research for myself.

For me it’s the first half when answering a question. Example;

“I was told the part also fits big blocks.”

I don’t know but was told by someone I know and trust usually follows OR it is hearsay which will be know. Normally it’ll be stated as “I heard this will fit, but I don’t know myself.” Researching what part fits what in whatever year or model, etc…. Is not my problem as a seller of an item.

Once I was selling valve springs for a small block head. The buyer kept asking unanswerable questions or loaded questions. I wouldn’t sell him the valve springs until he knew what he had and these springs would work for his application. He disappeared for a while and came back saying they are what he needed and I double asked, “Are you sure?” He affirmed they are OK and what he needed.

Fast forward 3 weeks or so after he got his valve springs I get a PM he wants his money back because the valve springs do not fit his application.

I simply stated the history and my reluctance to sell him the stuff until he knew for sure they were what he needed and he said yes. I am under no obligation to accept the springs back and return his money because he made the mistake even after several attempts for me not to sell it to him until he was sure. He was pissed! I said this is not my problem to know exactly what you need when you’re not even sure of what you have. But you were firmed again that this is what you needed. Those are oval Springs if you don’t need them sell them. and he sold them.

Your lack of knowledge is not my problem. It is not my obligation to figure things out for you.

Too often this creeps in to our posts. Once it's heard or repeated a few times
it becomes fact.
"everybody" knows a guy, who knows a guy....

There are a lot of phrases like this in the car hobby. A few examples, with the real meaning.......
Rust Free....... no extra charge for the rust
Original mileage..... no miles from any other vehicle have been put on this one
One owner....... not owned by a town, a village, or a committee
Ran when parked...... in the swimming pool when the brakes failed
Easy restoration...... just get out your checkbook and a dozen credit cards and have somebody else do it
Rare.......... it's certainly not well done
One of a kind........ nobody wanted another one even when they were new
Numbers matching......... if the number you pay matches the number I'm asking
Just out of long term storage.....dragged it out of the swamp with a dozer after it was sunken there for years
Has the usual rust...... and some rather unusual rust

I could go on and on. As a guy who started playing with Mopars at age 11, four decades ago, my advice is trust nobody but yourself until they have proven trustworthy.

-
Back