Identify factory sway bar piece?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So here,

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227050

Just (barely) got a late K in the car, spool mounts, better idler, new LCA bushings, and later, will swap to disk front brakes.

I also have a factory sway bar I bought used, and someone recently mentioned that evidently the 73/ later bars are different? than the 72/ earlier?

Do both go through the K? How do I tell? This is a used bar with no hardware. I'll have to build tabs on the LCAs

The 73 and later sway bar is shorter , fatter , lesss bend. The early bar went around the K. Long skinny pissy looking bar for sure. Even though the later bar has less bend it still required a fairly large odd shaped hole through the K so it comeuld thread through and out the other side.
Please note, If you already have the later model bar, even a weak bar is better than no bar. It will thread around the later model K member but it also used triangle shaped brackets low under the front. They would get bent or get their bolt ears broken off.
The through the K bar held its mounts up higher, between the legs of the K. Entire bar out of harms way.
Optimum combo in my opinion, Sway bar around the K, but with smaller square forward mounts ( Addco ), and rack and pinion steering through the K.

The earlier bar goes around the front of the k member. 73 up goes through it.

Also, either bar can be used on the late K-member. Some late K-members had the holes for the early bar.

I have a spare 1973/up sway bar with brackets (used) for $75 plus shipping. PM me if interested and I'll email some photos for you.

OK, guys I finally got back to this. Either I've seriously lost "what I thought I had" or what I thought I had is not "what I thought I had," LOL

This thing must be for a Chyrsler Impervious, or maybe a Lincoln Continuous, LOL What you see is this bar lying on an 73/4 A body /6 spool mount K frame. You can see "it's a little wide."

Measures 44" outside. Anybody know how wide an A sway ought'a be?

Attachments

• _MG_6343cs.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 416
That is not a 73 - 76 sway bar. It might even be one off a Dodge truck. You need one that goes through the frame. On the side of the K frame where you see holes close to the K frame bolt holes is where the mounting brackets for sway bar go.

Thanks, but regardless of through frame or not, you know how wide they are?

Hope someone chimes in for you Im away from home until Sunday afternoon...I can get dimensions then if you still need it...

The way that bar is shown suggests it is a aftermarket bar for a Chry' product. Fits the perimiter of the K nicely.
As for answering your width question... The staock bars and aftermarket bars are all different widthed due to where they attach.
Correct 67 to 72 bar widest as it attaches out toward the lower ball joint.
73 up bar looses about 6 inches of overall width as it attaches near center of lower arms.
Most aftermarket bars attach at lower shock bolts so overall would be even shorter.

Lets call that an Addco bar. Mount it out in front of the balancer and attach the linked ends wherever they land.

Here are some pics of the two side by side. The one with the red bushings is 73 - 76. The other is 68-72 . I have close ups if needed

The way that bar is shown suggests it is a aftermarket bar for a Chry' product.
Lets call that an Addco bar. Mount it out in front of the balancer and attach the linked ends wherever they land.

Way too wide. It nearly touches the inner parts of the spindles. It would be an absolute miracle to shoehorn that thing in so nothing interferes.

Thanks you guys. This gives me "stuff" to go on if I find another "bare" bar. The photos are great!!!

Hey del, you know the LCA tabs are different between the two styles of sway bars too!! Maybe you better share a pic of the ones you have to identify them before you go looking for a bar. When I get home from Easter dinner ill attach a couple close ups of the two different sway bars as well as close ups of the two different LCA's!!

None of my LCAs have tabs 'yet.'

So today I pulled the rear bar off the Linc rear axle, and dug out the aftermarket rear bar. Neither is wide enough to be a front, as they would hook to the LCA's way inboard--too much leverage against 'em.

So for now this is a dead issue. After June (more money honey) I'll either rustle up a factory A piece or buy an aftermarket front bar.

Thanks again for the great help. Those photos are a HUGE help.

OK Del, even though you may not need it now, here are a couple pics of an early style under mount sway bar and the later style pass through. The painted stuff is the early stuff, the rusty stuff is the later!! Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_2923.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 477
  • 100_2924.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 419
  • 100_2925.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 452
Yes, thanks. Stuff whut th' shop manual don' tell ya, LOL

-
Back