I'm confused.

-

Go Mango

Never enough beer...
Reaction score
I grew up a chevy guy. 72 chevelle, 71 monte carlo many years ago. Also drove a couple of 5.0, 5 speed fox body mustangs. This is a really trivial thing, but I notice that everyone seems to be ok with calling pre 1970 barracudas "cudas", which they aint. Back in the 80s, I knew guys that had A body barracudas, and E body cudas that were offended if you didn't keep the names straight.
So what the hell?

Barracuda's came out in 1964. We have called them "cuda's" from the beginning. Then the factory picked up the nickname.

I grew up a chevy guy. 72 chevelle, 71 monte carlo many years ago. Also drove a couple of 5.0, 5 speed fox body mustangs. This is a really trivial thing, but I notice that everyone seems to be ok with calling pre 1970 barracudas "cudas", which they aint. Back in the 80s, I knew guys that had A body barracudas, and E body cudas that were offended if you didn't keep the names straight.
So what the hell?
Just cause the e-body had the "cuda" script. They were all called cudas just like your stang. I do differentiate them that way myself but its nothing to get upset over.

I just did look, and yes, the cuda name was officially used starting in 1969. And no, I'm not upset at all, I really couldn't give 2 ***** about it. I just remember being corrected back in the day.

They were all called cudas just like your stang. I do differentiate them that way myself but its nothing to get upset over.
That’s the way it should be... relaaaaaax.... LOL, it’s all good.
Barracuda's came out in 1964. We have called them "cuda's" from the beginning. Then the factory picked up the nickname.
This is dead on. “Cuda” is just a quicker way to say.... a nickname, lazy tounges! LMAO!

As a note, FWIW, even the 70-74 E bodies had “Barracuda” & “Cuda” model scripts. There was a third model name called “Gran Coupe.”

I just did look, and yes, the cuda name was officially used starting in 1969. And no, I'm not upset at all, I really couldn't give 2 ***** about it. I just remember being corrected back in the day.
Then why start the thread?

I did not say you were upset. You said some guys were offended. /that is what I was referring to.

Like I said, I really couldn't care less what they are called. I like them, I appreciate them, but I don't necessarily want one. I just wanted some clarification. I read a lot of posts on here, and I know how hard core mopar guys can be.

Never Have I seen a factory 440 A body. I'm from MO. show me some production #, Please, so I can believe.

Work on em your whole life and they all become pieces of ****. LOL!
I've owned my dart for 6 months, and I can't argue with you! Realistically, who thought it was a good idea to have header bolts thread into water jackets?!
Man, I love my car though!

Never Have I seen a factory 440 A body. I'm from MO. show me some production #, Please, so I can believe.
I can't give you the numbers, but there absolutely were 440 darts factory built in 1969.
I'm sure someone here can back me up on this.

In '68 Mr Norms did a dealer conversion of 383 cars to 440, Darts only. Then in '69 the factory did it. 5th digit is M, Darts were GTS, Barracuda was coupe or fastback in a 'Cuda 440 package. All were automatics.

In '68 Mr Norms did a dealer conversion of 383 cars to 440, Darts only. Then in '69 the factory did it. 5th digit is M, Darts were GTS, Barracuda was coupe or fastback in a 'Cuda 440 package. All were automatics.
Thanks

SG , I read the article, didn't see any PRO #s but I'll take your word for it. Been around Mopars most my life and have never seen one. Made a few .

The 1969 Plymouth 'Cuda 440
Specifications

Wheelbase, inches: 108.0

Weight, lbs: 3,740

Number built: 340

Base price: $3,900

Standard Engine

Type: ohv V-8

Displacement, cid: 440

Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.

Compression ratio: 10.1:1

Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 4600

Torque @ rpm: 480 @ 3200

Representative Performance

0-60 mph, sec: 5.6

1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.01 @ 104

Guy I new at NAS Miramar had a factory 440 A. He was a POS though. I had a 67 block and 915 heads that he managed to walk off with. If I was as mean then as I think now, he would have personally regretted that

I'm not sure if you can open this link, but this is the real deal. A friend sold it a year ago, and rode in it in 1969. A former drag car that was never cut.

I call my Barracuda a 'Cuda all the time. nobody has ever corrected me, and if they did, I'd invite them to take a long walk off a short pier. WHO CARES!!!

-
Back