Immediate Ideas Needed

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My blower fan (A/C; heater) works intermittently in my '99 Durango. Lately, it has not worked a lot more than it has worked. It is getting cold in Northern Illinois and the fan is needed for heat and defrost. I will be trying to fix this today. Anyone had this issue and fixed it? I will post what I try, until I fix it. I will check this thread a lot today for solutions/ideas. I may not always respond, but I'm reading it. I also will post what I try.

So far, all I have tried is playing with the switch quickly and gently hitting around the switch. This has no effect.

ThanksO:)

So far, all I have tried is playing with the switch quickly and gently hitting around the switch. This has no effect.

ThanksO:)

Right there is where I would look. I have had switches cause the issue you are having more than once.

Maybe try and power the blower directly, on and off and on etc, a few times to see if it comes on each time without hesitation.

the blower motor switch and resistor control the ground {battery negative } to blower motor.so if you do not have battery negative to resistor with ignition switch on and blower switch on low ,you need to check blower switch.

Just a quicky, I swapped the 40 amp blower motor fuse with another, and as suspected, that wasn't it. Now I'm heading inside/under the dash...

I have located my blower fan resistor. It is located under the cowl, through a "glove box" size hole behind the passengers wiper. You can access this on the outside of the vehicle with the hood open. I will work on replacing the resistor.

Resistor was a chronic issue for my '02 Durango. Resistor was located just above the passenger side left foot area.

Got the old resistor out (what a pain!). The nearest parts store that had it on hand is 45 minutes away. Should have an update in about 3 or so hours if this was the fix!

Got the old resistor out (what a pain!). The nearest parts store that had it on hand is 45 minutes away. Should have an update in about 3 or so hours if this was the fix!

Ok. The nearest parts that was to have it on hand had the wrong one. Wasted trip. The guy described it like mine, and when I got there, not even close! Wrong shape, plug, prongs, everything. I handed him what he had and asked him to count the prongs, and asked what he had told me? I went over the shape we described on the phone, all I got was "I apologize sir". I let them know how far I came, and left. Anyways, looks like I will have to order it. So, until then, project on stand still. Hope to have something here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for all that offered suggestions. I still may need some if this doesn't fix it.

Goofy question, was the resistor covered in pine needles/tree leaves? Used to mess around with early Rangers, damn near everyone of them had a bad resistor....and they were all covered with needles/leaves...

Goofy question, was the resistor covered in pine needles/tree leaves? Used to mess around with early Rangers, damn near everyone of them had a bad resistor....and they were all covered with needles/leaves...

Actually, no. The resistor is up under a hole. You can't see it, only feel it. But now that I removed it, the fan works on high only. At least we can get some heat and clear the window. I'm suppose to get the part next week. Hopefully we will have all the speeds back.

Actually, no. The resistor is up under a hole. You can't see it, only feel it. But now that I removed it, the fan works on high only. At least we can get some heat and clear the window. I'm suppose to get the part next week. Hopefully we will have all the speeds back.

If I remember correctly the resistor is what gives it the multi speed. Should have a power in and several power out....as many as the speeds on the control panel. Least you got heat for the time being

I've never seen those resistors work intermittently. I think you'll isolate the fault to the manually operated switch. For the 93 Lebarron we had, the fan switch wasn't available separately. Serviced part was the entire climate controller. Carefully taking the switch apart and cleaning its contacts was the fix. Free too.

If the resistor fixes the problem you should go ahead and replace the blower motor, too. When the bearings in the blower motor start to go it causes the motor to pull more amps. The higher amperage causes the resistor to fail. HTH

I have a '03 Dakota. When the resistor pack craps out, the fan only works on high. Disconnecting / removing the resistor pack will still allow the fan to work on high & high only.
It was under $7 at the local store.

Intermittent workings sound like a bad knob on the dash board or loose wire.

I have a '03 Dakota. When the resistor pack craps out, the fan only works on high. Disconnecting / removing the resistor pack will still allow the fan to work on high & high only.

BINGO!!! My resistor is removed, and the fan will work on high. When I get the new resistor in, all my speeds should return. We will see.....

Exactly, because what you did was to remove the device (resistor) that lowers the voltage for the different speeds bypassing that ability and giving it direct unresisted voltage.
The switch is what reroutes the voltage to the resisted paths.

BINGO!!! My resistor is removed, and the fan will work on high. When I get the new resistor in, all my speeds should return. We will see.....

Still could be the switch, as what I said above applies to yours also.
Hope it does fix it though.

Trailbeast;

YEP! Bingo! And as I mentioned, the only other thing I can think of is a loose wire or the switch on the dash is getting old and not doing what it is suposed to be doing.

electrical is not my strong point.

Wow! sounds as if dodge should do a recall. Anyways, my resistor looks differently than the one shown in the pictures. I think '99 is the last year for my style. If my resistor catches on fire, it will be in a metal pocket under the cowl.

Hope it does fix it though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it could still be the switch. We won't know till my 22.99 resistor comes in. Cross'n my fingers for luck...

Is your switch replaceable or is it like my 02 Chebby...had to replace the entire panel? Just remember the thing being spendy...

Yes, it could still be the switch. We won't know till my 22.99 resistor comes in. Cross'n my fingers for luck...[/QUOTE]

Checking the old one for continuity would tell you right now. :)
And then checking the wires that go to the resistor for voltage would verify it.

Yes, it could still be the switch. We won't know till my 22.99 resistor comes in. Cross'n my fingers for luck...[/QUOTE]

Checking the old one for continuity would tell you right now. :)
And then doing the same with the wires that go to the resistor would verify it.

But hey, you have heat for now.
(always a good thing when it's cold out)

-
Back