Indy/Edelbrock TA style heads

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is anybody using the Indy/Edelbrock TA heads for a small block? They are Edelbrock Performer RPM heads that Herb McCandless redesigned. Indy buys unmachined castings from Edelbrock and moves the pushrod holes away from the intake ports just like the old 340 TA heads. It all sounds great in theory, but I've also heard some real Indy horror stories. These would be for a small block stroker bracket motor. Any other head suggestions?

I don't know anybody on here that uses them off hand. They only flow a few more CFM than regular heads ported or stock, but the volume of air also moves up. This makes it something to look at and think about.

The Indy/Brocks ,o.k . Possibly,better choices.Start a separate thread,with expectations,and what you have.

I bought a set years ago CNC ported from Indy. What a joke. Out of the box the the valve job was sized for 2.02 not 2.055 like the heads come with. All the components are cheap crap. No spring seat cups or discs, just a .015 shim under the springs. Chinese looking springs and retainers not comp 928s like they claimed. The threads of the adjuster screws were sloppy beyond belief. The rocker shaft plugs had almost no press fit in the ends, I always thread them for plugs anyway. The inside of the shafts were full of drill swarf. They flow nowhere near what Indy claims. I replaced all the valves, springs, locks, retainers, adjusting screws, cut a good valve job on the seats.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216720
After all this they are an excellent set of very over priced heads lol. If I could do it over I would go with a set of the 220 cc AirWolf heads from Dr J's. I think they are about the best head out there for a standard intake/exh pattern.

Don't buy anything straight from Indy. If you buy them from a reputable vendor and have them properly prepped you will be fine. They will flow 20-30 CFM over comparable Eddie heads because you won't have a push rod pinch.

The AirWolfs are more bang for the buck.

Bought a pair back in 2007,built a 414" stroker,only did mild port clean-up(non-cnc'd)and have been pleased with performance.Engine is in a 3,400 pound Duster that consistantly runs 6.3-6.40's in the eighth mile.Has over 1100 passes with no issues with heads or Indy rocker's.

-
Back