installing floor shifter

-

my_1990woody

Reaction score
i have a 1969 dodge dart with a 273 v8 with a colum shift i was wondering what would be involved in changing to a floor shifter never done it befor. and where can i pic one up from does not have to be oem just hate colum shift.

thanks matt

I put a B&M Quicksilver floor shifter in my dart. Installation was pretty easy, mostly because I had my engine and tranny out at the time. Works good and looks good.
There's a picture of it in my photo gallery if you want to see what it looks like.

I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter in my Duster. It has a ratchet mode where you can bump the shifter forward and it will shift one gear at a time, or pull back on the shifter to downshift one gear. Works out great and was easy to install. Since the trans tunnel where I mounted it is round and not very flat, I made a bracket made out of sheet metal that I attached to the trans tunnel which gave me something flat to mount the shifter on.

Duster23.jpg

80605008.jpg

Installing the shifter is cake... getting rid of the on the column shifter with indicator is the PITA!

Here is a picture of the Hurst Promatic 2 that I installed (cover isn't screwed down yet in pict). I works great and cost me around $100 used. I bought a floor shift steering column to install with it, but haven't got around to it yet.

10-01-08015.jpg

Ohhh, I know it is in here somewhere, go to page 5 where you can see some of the work I did installing a basic B&M shifter in the Duster.
The gardest part was drilling the sheet metal.

It was made easy due to the fact that it didn't have any carpet,.... or floor boards at the time. LOL

Click here! http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

I tried to put a B&M shifter in and I was told it would a costly install in the long run in that I'd be replacing the cable once a month, because we couldn't get it away from the exhaust.

Good luck

Well, a tie wrap is needed for the stock cable in the box. I ended up useing a cable 1 foot shorter after mine melted. I should have just ran the damn tie wrap and secured the cable correctly, BUT, instead, like a kid, I went out and drove it before I was actually done and payed the price.

The cable and shifter have been in the car for a little while and without any problem whatsoever.

-
Back