Installing this cobbled together front sway bar today ...

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Cobbled together sway bar kit

The Hellwig 5906 bar was on my car when I got it.

I thought it was a factory bar at 13/16 diameter, so I ordered bushings

It was the Hellwig bar @1 1/8 diameter, and the bushings for it are hard to find.

I gave Kevin @ Hellwig a call and he comped me a set

They are far superior to others bushings I have seen

The rods that attach to the bar are Energy suspension

The clamps to hold the bar in place I think are PST

The mounting plates, don't remember

Nuts, bolts, washers, can't find them !

Going on today !

PXL_20230918_000232543.jpg

PXL_20230918_000228927.MP.jpg

PXL_20230918_000217676.jpg

I'm hoping to do some small time road racing
My set up

Fresh, as yours is, complete suspension rebuild

With PST 1.03 torsion bars

Offset upper control arm bushings, to gain more caster

16:1 steering ratio box
I hope I don't regret it

This Hellwig 1.125 bar

For now , moderately price 215 60 r 14 upfront and 236 60 r 14 on the rear
I'll use them to get the suspension tuned and the put Nittos and Bilstein shocks on later

PXL_20230908_191101401.jpg

I worked on a very unique sway bar a coupla years ago .
Bar was mounted transvere to the upper rad support with the "strut" links going down, - attached to the top of upper control arms .
Racecar .

Last edited:
One of my factory sway bar brackets was bent, I assume from impact with a curb. I replaced both of them with similar brackets to what you have there. this is the best picture I have.

IMG_2572.JPG

If you are referring to mine, that is the stock bar. I only replaced the brackets and bushings. I thought the picture might help with the orientation of the brackets, as yours look similar.

The brackets on the K frame are Energy Suspension too. I have the same set up on my 70 Dart - has worked well for 20years...

I'm hoping to do some small time road racing
My set up

Fresh, as yours is, complete suspension rebuild

With PST 1.03 torsion bars

Offset upper control arm bushings, to gain more caster

16:1 steering ratio box
I hope I don't regret it

This Hellwig 1.125 bar

For now , moderately price 215 60 r 14 upfront and 236 60 r 14 on the rear
I'll use them to get the suspension tuned and the put Nittos and Bilstein shocks on later

View attachment 1716143284
As you reassembled your front end. Did you tighten lower control arms and uppers with the cars weight? Or suspension hanging in the air? I ask since I'm getting ready to reassemble my dart sports front end. Thank you

No, is it too late to do that, hang the body in the air, loosen them up and retighten ?

It's been 24 hours. Did you get your bar installed on your junk? Or you just talkin about it still? lol

It's been 24 hours. Did you get your bar installed on your junk? Or you just talkin about it still? lol
No, I'm still stuck on small, no fun stuff to do. As soon as I get past a lot of the small stuff, I'll do the bar to "reward" myself, I'm actually excited to install the bar, it's definitely something I will feel every second I drive the car

YES loosen them up set the car down on something so that the weight is on the tires and retighten them. If you are using stock style rubber bushings this is very important. This is also true on leaf spring bushings in the back...

YES loosen them up set the car down on something so that the weight is on the tires and retighten them. If you are using stock style rubber bushings this is very important. This is also true on leaf spring bushings in the back...
I am using all stock rubber replacement bushings.

Hellwig and Kevin are awesome!!!! Did it take more than one ring before they answered the phone?

I can't speak highly enough of that company. It's so rare these days to get good customer support.

-
Back