Intake quetion

-

kork340

Reaction score
Hey all, what would be better on a 318 with stock heads an Edelbrock LD4B, S.P.2-P318, or a new Performer? It's going to be in a Duster with 3.55 gears and a 4 spd. 318 is a 68 and will be bored 30 over with a factory 340 cam.
Thanks

An opinion question.......

Perfromer IMO, it makes use of a T-Q very well. A best of both worlds carb.
S.P.2-P318, Ummmm, small runner intake right?
LD4B I have one. It makes use of a square bore carb. Should produce good results. I'll be trying it on a 318 later.

I think,if I'm not mistaken,that the Performer's ports are more 340-360 size. Makes for a bad seal with the small port heads. I've had an SP-2P on a 67 273 low comp motor and it wasnt bad...certainly was better than the 2 barrell!!! :)

I recommend using the intake with the flange that matches the carb you intend to use (no spacer). Try to match intake runner size to head port opening as closely as possible. All the intakes you mentioned have relatively small runner volume, which will help maintain good manifold vacuum and low speed torque. This is important since the engine displacement is relatively small (318 + .030), and cam lift is relatively low (.429 I, .442 E). If you port match the intake to the head, limit the transition grinding to approximately one inch beyond the intake flange to avoid unnecessarily changing the runner volume. The LD4B is a tried-and-true SB intake, and still works very well. As technology marches on, performance generally improves. Take advantage of Edelbrock's research and development. Compare intended usage (rpm range vs displacement) between the intakes to your combination (how you intend to use it). Hope this helps.

65Val said:
I think,if I'm not mistaken,that the Performer's ports are more 340-360 size. :)
No, there 318 sized.

I have an SP2P on my 318. Throttle response is great. It runs out of breath around 4500rpm though. A more aggressive than stock cam might help a little bit, but it is really not what I would call a performance manifold.

tourquehouse and others thanks for the replies. I'm only boring cause I have to. I only want a decent daily driver, not gonna race it or anything. I just thought the LD4B was made for the 318 heads and the Performer was made for the 360 heads, correct? Any thoughts on the Wieand intakes? Any better or worse than the Eddy's? Thanks for the help.

Thanks Gotdart, wasn't sure on the Sp-2. Not really looking for major performance tho, just a decent daily driver. Maybe one day I'll put her back to a 340 like she's supposed to have.

Well the SP2P and a 500 to 600 cfm carb would make a nice street combo. More power than a stock 2bbl and probably better gas milage too, provided you don't keep your right foot to the floor. Add a dual exhaust system and electronic ignition and it would be a lot of fun with those 3.55 gears and 4-speed.

65Val said:
I think,if I'm not mistaken,that the Performer's ports are more 340-360 size. Makes for a bad seal with the small port heads. I've had an SP-2P on a 67 273 low comp motor and it wasnt bad...certainly was better than the 2 barrell!!! :)
the ports on the performer are under sized for the 340-360 heads, it does respond well when port matched to the 340-360 head though. throw away the sp2p intake. with your gearing, i like the ld4b eldelbrock.

kork340 said:
I only want a decent daily driver, not gonna race it or anything. I just thought the LD4B was made for the 318 heads and the Performer was made for the 360 heads, correct? Any thoughts on the Wieand intakes? Any better or worse than the Eddy's? Thanks for the help.
The LD4B will work great. IMO, the Performer will work better, but not to a huge degree. The Performer was made for the small port window not found on a 340 - 360.
The Weiand intakes have the larger port window.

I agree rumlefish, have ran LD4B on`79 318auto 3\4 ton p\u W/AVS-(OLD)- very userfriendly. My son ran it on a 318 in a ram charger w/ same avs -same results but hard to train new gen.to man. choke. Besides a kick running old stuff that runs great!!!! And tuning in these kids!!!!

-
Back