Is it usable?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was given a blown up 360 for parts. I took it apart to salvage the timing cover, heads etc. I got looking at the block and other than a 3/8" chunk out of the bottom of the #2 bore on the inside it looks good. There was a major catastrophe on #1/2 rod journal. I cant take a photo without removing the crank. Just wondering if this block is possibly usable or should I send it to scrap? Is that damage to the bore a deal breaker? Its definitely not so far into the bore that the rings will be affected.

Cley

20191219_201928.jpg

Get it apart and to the machine shop and see. I've seen worse be good.

If it has taken a chunk out of the bottom edge of the bore, the one thing that comes to mind is that the breakout could be getting close to the bottom edge of the water jacket. Here is a cross-section of that area I profiled from a 360 block:
DSCN2552 (Large).JPG

And 273 block:
DSCN2550 (Large).JPG

The corner thickness at the bottom of the bore (at the lower left in each drawing, where I am imagining your block is chunked out) was about the same on both: a bit under 1/2".

Edit to add: This is showing the outer side of the bore, closest to the pan, not the inner side of the bore, up near the cam. I realize IDK where around the bore your chunk-out is located.

Last edited:
I sure would not be hasty to scrap it until you spend some time and REALLY look it over

If it has taken a chunk out of the bottom edge of the bore, the one thing that comes to mind is that the breakout could be getting close to the bottom edge of the water jacket. Here is a cross-section of that area I profiled from a 360 block:
View attachment 1715533929
And 273 block:
View attachment 1715533934

The corner thickness at the bottom of the bore (at the lower left in each drawing, where I am imagining your block is chunked out) was about the same on both: a bit under 1/2".

Edit to add: This is showing the outer side of the bore, closest to the pan, not the inner side of the bore, up near the cam. I realize IDK where around the bore your chunk-out is located.

Would those sketches depict the outside or the inside of the bore?

Cley

Fix it.... my race motor had 3 broken rods, four damaged pistons, a broken camshaft. Two chunks out of the bottom of two cylinders. Needed one sleeve.

I ran a 427 FE Ford with seven sleeves....

The crank is gonna need at least a heavy polish.

I don’t think you’ll be able to save the rod though.:steering:

If your interested in using it, a trip to the machine shop is worth the cost since then, you will know where you stand. I myself send prospective blocks out myself. I need to know exactly where they stand so I can know where I stand on them. Good to go? Junk? Lots of meat in the cylinder walls? Good for rebuild or mad power stroker? Gotta know these things. For myself, I think it is worth the expense.

-
Back