Is this an oddity or just Mopar weirdness?

-

John Wymore

Reaction score
I recently pulled a 340 4bbl engine out of a 1970 Dart I purchased. Engine block has a casting date of 6-30-70 but motor build date is 336th day of 1971 and it is an HM designation (1972, Mound Rd.). Engine also has steel crank and 2.02 J heads although I have no way to know if they are original. Was it common for blocks to sit around that long before being built up?

Build Number is: HM340P 37800050

just today i read of someone who had a 71 cast dated block in a 73 model year car

just today i read of someone who had a 71 cast dated block in a 73 model year car
Yup that was me. I don't know what the longest amount of time that ever existed between casting date and build date. But I have owned a late 71 cast date 340 that had a 73 build date and was confirmed by the stamped number on the pan rail as a 73. I recorded the block info somewhere but I have no idea where it is now.

The most ironic thing about this whole deal is that I am building a proper numbers "F" year motor for the car which as it turns out will be essentially identical except for the assembly date. I'm a lunatic!!

So your 340 came out of a 70 Dart, but was built in Late 71 for an early 72 car..... sounds to me like a previous owner of the 70 did a motor swap sometime in the last 45 years or so..... was the 70 a real 340 car? Is it a warranty replacement from back in the day? Did a previous owner just have too much fun building what he wanted?

Last edited:
It is/was not uncommon to stick another engine in a car for repair reasons. A warranty assembly might be older like that. It's hard to really know all the history on a car that's 45+ years old, and of a price point that could have put it into many owners since new.

Yeah, Never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar. But it does sound like it was replaced at some point. A 69 cast date in a 70 car would be common,but a engine date after the cars build date sounds like a replacement.

No doubt this is a replacement engine and done fairly recently. Cylinder hone marks are almost new looking and it has aftermarket CE 243 pistons. I plan to clean it up and do what is needed to make it a nice long block to sell. Hopefully it will be great for somebody looking for a 340 for a 72 car. In response to the post above, yes it is a true H code 340 4-speed VIN with correct fender tag codes. This is my first Mopar so learning a lot. Trying to get it back to as original as possible.

-
Back