Is this good or bad?

-

Turboomni

Reaction score
Going to use as manual brakes. Junk or not? Alternatives? For my new to me 71 Demon. I have seen this kit cheaper.
Thanks

1707341774306.png

You want small bolt pattern?

I'd call DR Diff or use factory 73-76 A body brakes,

As for the kit it looks very complete.

IF it is using OEM 73 up Mopar parts that would be the way to go.

OR

You could go full factory with Kelsey Hays 4 piston disk setup

A member sells a rebuilt setup here from time to time.

Do t recall what all is included

Thanks for the replies guys. Do most go to 5/4.5? My thought was to use 5/4 and steel 15 inch wheels and dog dishes so nothing fancy. My Demon is lucky to be alive I think although no bad rust problems. Manual brakes for a 440. I will look into Dr Diff for sure.

dr diff has the bits to get you sorted out.

the right parts, good quality, great customer support. buy with confidence from him.

5/4 and steel 15 inch wheels
5 bolt 4'' pattern wheels in 15'' are hard to find. I had them made by Stockton Wheels. Some searching will come up with companies that do make custom wheels in that size.

I'm beginning to see that problem in my searching around. More thinking,,
Thanks

73 up OEM disk conversion gets you stock over the counter parts and 5x4.5 bolt pattern

5 on a 4 - 15 inch wheel is a custom made wheel. It's what I did good or bad. Wheel Vintiques is good for viewing your choices. It's not often you see them used for sale.

5 on 4" centerlines are out there, but not common, and will be used. I have six, but I don't want to sell.
Boyd's makes a nice five spoke 5 on 4" wheel, but it's 17x7.
If you stick with sbp, enter that bolt pattern at summits wheel section, and you will see 99% of what is available new.
(And I don't think Stockton wheel does 5 on 4 anymore.)

i don't think stockton is still in business any more? or if they are i haven't heard of anybody getting anything from them or having anything to say except phone calls and emails go unanswered.

wheel vintiques, wheelsmith or pete paulson would be where i'd reach out to.

As I found out the hard way...5x4 steelies will not clear the calipers without a moderate amount of grinding. Some other 5x4 wheels seem to work better

Are you speaking of 14 inch steelies? Would 15 inch work?

Are you speaking of 14 inch steelies? Would 15 inch work?
there are *some* 14" steelies and rally wheels that work, but it's almost a case by case basis.

14" BBP steelies will work, because they were designed to work with the BBP brakes from 73~76.

14" SBP steelies generally do not, and will foul on the caliper.

That Pirate Jack kit is just a ‘73+ disk conversion that’s had the rotors drilled for the 5x4” bolt pattern and the hub snout turned down for the earlier wheels.

It will still widen the track width up front, just like the regular ‘73+ disks with the 5x4.5” pattern. And as some have noted, just because that kit has been drilled for 5x4” does not mean all of the original SBP wheels will fit. Some of the original wheels still won’t clear the later 73+ calipers.

The spindles for that kit also use the later large ball joint, so it has tapered spindle adaptors in there as well for the earlier small ball joint control arms.

You can get basically the same kit from @DoctorDiff , except you’ll get better quality parts and you’ll get actual customer service for when you have questions or issues. He sells the regular ‘73+ brake kit with the stock 5x4.5” pattern, but also has it available with the 5x4” pattern.

Personally I would just commit to the 5x4.5” bolt pattern change. You may have to buy new wheels anyway, because not all the factory wheels will fit anyway. And if you have to buy new wheels, you might as well go BBP. Yes, it will still cost more money because you’ll have to deal with the rear axle as well, but if you get new axles from DoctorDiff you can use the later BBP rear brakes which are easier to find parts for anyway.

14" SBP steelies generally do not, and will foul on the caliper
OEM 14" X 5. 5" OEM steel wheels fit KH front disk. So do 14" x 4.5 OEM steel wheels

Can't say about the 73 up calipers and the 14" OEM steel wheels

OEM 14" X 5. 5" OEM steel wheels fit KH front disk. So do 14" x 4.5 OEM steel wheels

Can't say about the 73 up calipers and the 14" OEM steel wheels
apologies, i should have been more clear and concise.

i was specifically referencing this new flavor of the 73+ brakes disc brake systems that have the 4" bolt center.

most 14" SBP steelies will not fit, they hang on the caliper. there are some that will clear along with *some* aftermarket rims, for instance i know that cragars (or at least the 14" ones i tried) did not, but a pair of no name road wheels did.

14" OEM BBP steelies as produced from 73~76 and off of FMJ, etx will fit because that's the brake system they were designed with.

the trouble comes with converting the 73+ stuff to the 4" pattern and using the earlier wheels. it's much like the SSBC brakes where some rims will fit and some will not.

now, here's the kicker, some aftermarket rally wheels have interference as well!

it's all as clear as mud, right?

Stockton, Some times I forget that I have been doing this a long time.
20+ years have gone by.

The plan is no matter which bolt pattern was to run 15 inch wheels. My Demon is in storage till spring and I will check if the rears are 5/4 or 5/4.5. If the rear is 5/4.5 then I will do the fronts the same.

I bought the cheap conversion kit and had to run around and spend more money on ball joint sleeves (different ball joint stud size) and also find hardware to bolt the lower ball joint on. Anything I "saved" by going with the cheapest was wiped out by those purchases.

If I had to do it over again I'd go with a Mopar vendor like Dr diff or Bergman and take advantage if their experience and knowledge that's fairly priced into their parts.

-
Back