Island Dragway, Great Meadows NJ.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Rumors are that the gates are closed for good. Sure as hell hope not. While I no longer live there I would hate to see it close. Pretty sure that was the first track to see 200 mph......Lot of memories there with a former neighbor.....

Attachments

• Ted Razmus.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,182
Did not hear anything about it closing down. Website is blank. I only live like 10 minutes from the track. That sucks if true...

Rumors are that the gates are closed for good. Sure as hell hope not. While I no longer live there I would hate to see it close. Pretty sure that was the first track to see 200 mph......Lot of memories there with a former neighbor.....[/QUOT\\

that would be a bad day i remember racing back there in the early 60's i was thinking about a ride up there in the spring maybe make a pass or 2 if anyone finds out for sure let me know

We usually hit Island a half dozen times a year. I just won a match race there in October. Garlits was there last year for the track's 50th anniversay. Friday nights were great if you run early you can get in as many runs as you want. When it floods there it does turns into a lake. It was under new management this year too. I hope this isn't true. There are no more tracks in Long Island and only three left here in NJ.

We usually hit Island a half dozen times a year. I just won a match race there in October. Garlits was there last year for the track's 50th anniversay. Friday nights were great if you run early you can get in as many runs as you want. When it floods there it does turns into a lake. It was under new management this year too. I hope this isn't true. There are no more tracks in Long Island and only three left here in NJ.
Was it still owned by that woman....think her name was Kathy? Been a long long time since I have been there.

Never been there, but it's a shame for the sport and our hobby. E-town is middle of a decades long McMansion sprawl build up around it. Atco is getting sued out the wazzoo for an accident a couple of years ago, when the rescue truck didn't start up. Millville had plans for construction of dragstrip near the 2 circle tracks. They are almost bankrupt, and hanging by a thread. So forget about that.
The young people today are not interested much anymore, car shows are becoming things for us "old" guys. How many 20 year olds go to strip with a big block under the hood? They young guys like them, but the passion is wanning.

Never been there, but it's a shame for the sport and our hobby. E-town is middle of a decades long McMansion sprawl build up around it. Atco is getting sued out the wazzoo for an accident a couple of years ago, when the rescue truck didn't start up. Millville had plans for construction of dragstrip near the 2 circle tracks. They are almost bankrupt, and hanging by a thread. So forget about that.
The young people today are not interested much anymore, car shows are becoming things for us "old" guys. How many 20 year olds go to strip with a big block under the hood? They young guys like them, but the passion is wanning.
Used to hate going to E-town, only been to Atco a few times. Went out to the Old Dutchmans Classic at Maple Grove once with the guy who owns the car I posted. The local track here in Spokane is owned by the county. Lot of folks piss and moan about it. Hope it is still around when I get to my car years from now. It has seen a few management changes already. The guy that is running it now is a local guy. From what I understand he has put a tone of money into it out of his own pocket. Suppose time will tell....

Island Dragway was my home track during the 60's, 70's and into the mid 80's. Moved to Florida, in 1991. Went back to island a few times for visits. The last time was in 2006. Couldn't believe how many of the cars and people from the old days were still there.
Hope it's not true.

We have had a couple shut down and turned around and reopened here
Memphis Motor Sports Park and GateWay International in St Louis.
I hope it's just rumor and they make an announcement that they will
have the gates open for everyone

That would be a shame. That track has a cool old school vibe to it.

From what I heard it is closed and not just for the winter! The website is shut down also. I read it was some family problem or something along those lines that shut it down.

From what I heard it is closed and not just for the winter! The website is shut down also. I read it was some family problem or something along those lines that shut it down.

I would not be supprised. If I remember correctly, from years ago, the track was "grandfathered in" and had to be in operation by the same owners (family), or it would loss its permitting. I could be wrong about this.

What a shame. Hopefully things change, maybe someone will step in and save it some how. There was just something about racing out in a farmers fields.....

Nooooo! The BB Duster is almost done and I'm 10 min from Island. Someone please save it. There is so much history there. Maybe Big Daddy will buy it, since I believe he set the 200 mph record there. Bummer...

Nooooo! The BB Duster is almost done and I'm 10 min from Island. Someone please save it. There is so much history there. Maybe Big Daddy will buy it, since I believe he set the 200 mph record there. Bummer...
He did.....

ive been goig and racing at island from 1968. best little track around. its going to kill a lot of dragracers who can not afford to go 2-3 hours away. soon there will not be a place for us to go. first we had to stop race at a time the powers to be wanted. i remember going till done 2 or later in morning. i dont know what im going to do for 2013. this really SUCKS thanks Billy The Kidd Bender

Posted a message on Islands Facebook page, there response was nothing is confirmed yet.....

Same thing happening here is Arizona.Speedworld in Wittmann was closed down recently due to a dispute with the County over use permits and it was announced that Firebird International in Chandler was closing because the Indian Tribe that owned the land wouldn't renew the lease.Rumors are that NHRA itself is working on a deal but that would leave this part of Arizona without a drag strip.Hate to see good drags trips closing all over the country.

-
Back