Jobs

-

hemifish69

Dain bramaged Hemi freak
Reaction score
I must be insane.

I left the airlines 3 years ago, because the situation at American had become intolerable. That ended a 12 year run in aircraft maintenance.

I've been through at least 10 jobs in that time, each time to go on to a job with better schedule, pay, growth opportunities, or all 3.

After 3 years of trying, I get on to a certain huge civilian and defense aerospace company that begins with the letter "B".

I just walked out on the second day of employment because an energy company hired me that offers better pay, schedule, and no layoffs in their history.

If I'm going to a better job, why am I making myself so crazy about walking away from the other one?????

Decisions like that are tough. If you left the Big B after 2 days, you might have been leary about that job.
The aircraft industry has huge swings but everybody uses energy each and every day.
I hope everything works out for you.

Nola off history? Sounds like a good move to me. That is why I stay where I'm at....and the bennifits are very good. Pay could allways be better.........

Don't feel bad about a move up. Consider yourseld VERY fortunate if you have any kind of job at all in todays work force. Keep climbing that ladder.

Thanks all,

I had planned to work for the "B" at least 3 weeks before going to the energy job, just to covince myself that I was doing the right thing.

My wife had a blowout with me, because she knows me well enough that if I got into the groove there, while waiting for my start date at the other job, I'd have bonded with the people, got all excited about building F-18s, and if they had made me a flight line or test cell mech, well.... I'd have to had divorced her.

But, realistically, I know in my heart that defence work is not a good field to be in, what with the current economic/political landscape.

I honestly believe that I will be able to retire from this other job.

I hope I didn't burn my bridge with Boeing for nothing.

I just heard boeing is going to lay off 4500 workers. You might have made a good move.

Yeah, you're not kidding about the defense industry. We're getting ready to lay off 75 people. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't go any higher.

Working on the lazy "B" on the defense side sucks. If you want, you could try the commercial aircraft group. I've been building 747's for 13 years now, and we can't find qualified people for what you do. Consider transfering out to western Washington state. It would be a huge leap, but worth considering. PM me for details.

Oh yeah, the lay offs are for people who never touch the aircraft. If you actually work on the airsraft, you're Golden. We're back ordered for over 3700 aircraft of all types. Job security? Look at the big 3 and think.

I used to do wind tunnel testing at Grumman Aerospace. Hello, Bill Clinton...we went from 26,000 employees to 6,000 within two years. Adios defense industry.

-
Back