Jrlegacy23's 72 Dart Build, pro-touring style

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have been getting a lot of work done on my 1972 Dodge Dart, so I figured I would start a build thread. Below is a picture of the day I had driven it home. It was originally a 318/auto car with a 7 1/4 rear. It had a green exterior and interior. I was told by the previous owner that it was restored by a professional shop in 1995, where it was repainted white.
I had pulled the engine/trans out and have a 340 eng/trans ready to go in. The 340 engine was rebuilt and the trans has a reverse manual valve body and a 2800-3200 stall converter. Right now it is in the process of getting mini-tubbed and a new rear end put in.

Attachments

• dart.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,683
Here is the engine that is going in:
1973 340 block
Motor bored .030” over
10.5 to 1 TRW forged pistons w/moly rings, rods resized and bushed w/floating wrist pins and new locks
Pistons and rods balanced
ARP bolts crank polished
Clevite 77 rod, crank, and cam bearings
Windage tray
Dynagear tru-roller timing chain
Crane cam 284/480 degreed
J heads, 3 angle valve job
Comp Cams locks and push rods
Mopar perf. valve springs and adj rocker arms
Edelbrock Torker II intake
Holley 750 CFM
Mopar perf. black alum. valve covers. Electronic ign. distr.
Carter fuel pump
Mellings oil pump

Attachments

• 340.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,191
Here is the 8.8 rear that I had cut down and rewelded together for the car. I have the carbon fiber clutches for the limited slip. The rear I picked up for $150 with the driveshaft, 4.10 gears, and disc brakes

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,128
  • house1.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,033
  • house3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4,271
Here is where he tig welded the tube to the center section. The center is cast so he had to use a special wire/rod.

Attachments

• house.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 3,805
Here is the weld after it was cleaned up and how the rear turned out, with my $65 diff cover:

Attachments

• cleaned.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 3,819
  • solid.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,811
Looking good, I wouldn't know what it's like to start with a nice solid car, but it looks like you've got a winner.....So what's in the plans for the rest of the Pro Touring build, any wheel/tire thoughts yet ?

I got the carbon fiber clutches installed today, new carrier bearings, and wheel bearings in also. Topped it all of with some royal purple gear lube. Next step is to get the parking brake assembley on and the axles installed.

Started the minitub, we are using aftermarket tubs, RMS frame pieces, and Hatchkis leafs. Here is a pic of the what I got done today:

Attachments

• tub2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,950
looking good, but it looks like the "fun" has just begin, I always enjoy following a Mini-tub build.\\:D/\\:D/

Ross, I don't think my car will ever have as mods as yours does... but then again, you probably thought the same thing when you started.

Ross, I don't think my car will ever have as mods as yours does... but then again, you probably thought the same thing when you started.

Oh, can you say Snowball...Yea, I was just wanting a solid tubbed Duster, the only real mod I had originally planned was the flush door handles.

My plan is Hotchkis rear leafs, 1" torsion bars, 4 wheel disc brakes, lowered some (unknown how much), Mini tub with 17"x10 or 10.5" wide rear wheels, 4.10 gears limited slip. Most of the parts I already have, but I still need some more parts. I am trying to keep it pretty sleek and sharp, with a lower profile look.
For the lower profile look, I have been looking at an 82-92 Firebird spoiler. It is about the same width as the go-wings. I think it will compliment the Dart body nicely.

Just got back from the shop today. The Hotchkis leafs are in, the frame portion of the minitub is done, and it is sitting back on its own wheels. I forgot my camera, but I am going to head back tomorrow and take some pictures.
I had the rear moved back 1.25 (RMS Kit) but when sat on its wheels, the shackles where hitting the the rear frame piece where the shackles used to mount before the minitub. After moving the front of the leafs back forward the inch and a quarter I moved it, the leaf shackles sat just about perfect.
Like I said I am going to post some pics.

Here is the picture of the shackle after I moved it back to the stock front hole. The red arrows are where the shackle was hitting when moved back 1.25"

Attachments

• shackle2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,774
here is the rear installed with the approximate ride height. It is a little uneven afrom the way it was jacked up and not being able to settle the suspension.

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4,695
  • ride2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,906
I just got in a set of "smoked" headlights with the halo ring. I am thinking about hooking the halo up as the marker/blinker light. I am not sure if I am real crazy about them, They were supposed to be smoked and looked to be in the picture. When they came, the look more like black chrome.

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,703
  • headlight2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,734
This what they pictured, and I thought I was buying:
yhst-56432672384263_2215_253036404

I sent he headlights back, I decided I did not like them and one of the halo's did not work. I went with something that will match the wheels and the black/silver paint scheme I am planning.
Here are the new ones I am replacing them with:

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,634
Finally figured out the front suspension. I just ordered up a Hemidenny K-Member with 1" swaybar, rack & pinion steering, 340 small block mounts, tubular upper and lower control arms, mustang II 2" drop spindles. Very excited waiting for evrything to come in from Hemidenny and Speedwaymotors.com

Attachments

• k frame.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,161
Looks good but aren't the sway bar mounting brackets suppose to be sticking out the front..like the pic below

Attachments

• Sharktooth2038.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,589
Yes, they are. This was his generic picture, not my actual K-Member. I had just mailed out the check today.

Yes, they are. This was his generic picture, not my actual K-Member. I had just mailed out the check today.

I thought maybe there another special version out there like the Super Slammer. Just checkin' . :thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:

Spent a lot of money of the project this last week so searched around for the cheapest/descent larger brake kit for the Mustang II frot suspension. This is what I would up with, drilled /slotted 11" brake kit for $289 shipped:
6204216503p

Very interesting. You are mini tubbing, but using aftermarket tubs? I thought minitubbing did not need any tubs.

I am in the process of tubbing. Do you know how much space above the tires is needed for suspension travel with leaf springs? This is my holdup on further progress at the moment.

-
Back