k frame issues

-

bill patton

Reaction score
i have a 74 dart..slt 6 drum brakes...Ive built a e58 360 to go in it..also have a k frame and disc brake set up off a 72 duster minus the steering box and center link..i order a pittman arm,idler arm and all tie rod ends for a 72 duster...i have a mess...the pittman arm doesnt fit the manual box off the 74 dart right...the slant 6 center link isnt right...any good advice will be appreciated...someone said the pittman and idler arm studs face up?..on the slant 6 they pointed down...thanks for info guys

It's not 6 vs 8, it's 73/ earlier vs 73/ later

OK you already know the 72K uses the old style "pillow" engine mounts. Also, if you have or want to use an anti roll bar, the 72 K must use the "underneath" type bar, and the connection tabs for that on the LCAs are different than 73 / later K

Everything else will bolt up, UCA LCA, etc etc

Now on the steering. You MUST have a pitman that matches the splines on whatever box you are using. The 73/ later pitman must use a 73/ later idler and center link. Has nothing to do with 6 or V8 except I think B/RB maybe.

The tie rod ends will interchange either early or late, so you must match the box, pitman, idler, and center link. On the center link, the tapers on the tie rod ends point the opposite way between the 73/ earlier center link and the 73/ later center link

Here read this.....

Early linkage, 72/ earlier, nuts on top

attachment-jpg.jpg

Late linkage, 73/ later, nuts on bottom

attachment-jpg.jpg

THE ONE BIG CAVEAT for 67/ later A body K members, other than 6 vs v8, is the oddball, 1 year only 67 K, which uses an oddball mount idler arm.

Don't get too flustered, this swap has been done hundreds of times, and as far as swaps go, is pretty straightforward. Most of us go the other way tho, installing the late gear into the earlier bodies. lol.

-
Back