70 duster steering

-

moparpapa.

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
does or have any one swapped the complete steering from a 70 duster to a 73 if so are there any issues being the two center links are different

YES. There are 4 pieces that must fit together regardless of year

The center links are different from 72/ earlier and from 73/ later. The tapered studs point the opposite way

in addition, the pitman arm and idler arm of course must match that fact, and the pitman must fit the steering box. There is a large and small spline for the boxes so be aware of that

Here's one thread

confused, steering gear compatibility

The whole deal with later/ early boxes (big/ small pitman shaft) is the center link, pitman and idler. Everything else fits. I guess the exception is the 67 K member which has a "different" idler mount, so I'm not sure there is any way to adapt a later idler to a 67 K, at least without fabrication/ welding, which at least one member on here did.

So look at your center link where the studs come up through for the idler and the pitman. Are the nuts that hold them on top or on the bottom of the center link?

Early setup has nuts on top:

attachment.jpg

Late linkage has nuts on bottom:

attachment.jpg

In additon, generally:

Upper arms must be for modern disc brakes there are large and small ball joints depending on 73/ later disk, or drum setup

Lower arms are different in terms of anti roll bar. If there is none, the lower arms have no tabs to connect the anti-roll bar. The tabs are different for 72/ earlier LCA vs 73/ later LCA

tie rods and ends are pretty much interchangeable

In 73, the K member went to spool type motor mounts instead of "pillow" mounts, and the anti-roll bar goes THROUGH the hollow K from 73/ later vs, below it for 72/ earlier

Of course the /6 and V8 K members are different.

67 only K member has a "one year only" idler arm mount

Manual steering or P/S? If they are manual, yes you can change everything off the 70 onto the 73. If P/S, the sector shafts are different size. In this case you would have to change the steering boxes also.

thanks guys i thought so just needed to make sure before i start this transformation

-
Back