KB 191's And a 1051 Head

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hang my KB 191's on my rods. It's a .030 over 360 with I'm sure no deck shaving. Will I run into any issues running those pistons with my current 1051 heads? I'd love to buy a set of X or J heads, or even aftermarket heads, but I just don't have $1500 to spend right now. The 1051 heads are rebuilt and ready to bolt on.
Also, what cam should I be looking at? It's quarter mile only. I'm running a 360, 904 trans, haven't gotten the converter yet, 4.88 spool, 26" tire, '69 Cuda, stock body with a 6-pt cage.
This is about the way I bought it, except in pieces. My first Mopar build. I'm still a Chevy guy at heart, but I may slowly convert.

051 heads are open chamber like all the other 360 LA heads. Pistons should work fine, but clearance should be checked and that will help choose a head gasket thickness. Read the KB instructions carefully.

4.88 gears with 26" tires seems like too much gear, especially for 1/4 mile. 4.56 would still be zinging it. 360 has a long stroke, so use the torque. X or J heads might be a little better, but the quality of the valve job and valve design would make more difference.

Hopefully you have frame connectors and can add 2 more bars to make the roll bar an 8 point. The extra bars would connect the frame connectors to the side of the main hoop behind the seats.

If the heads are done, the springs may dictate what cams you can choose from.

This car was actually set up for 1/8 mile drags. I thought about dropping to a 4.10 or 4.33 gear, with a 3000 stall conv. Could bump up the tire size a tad, but the car is still running the small bolt pattern so I'm limited to a 14" tire.

This car was actually set up for 1/8 mile drags. I thought about dropping to a 4.10 or 4.33 gear, with a 3000 stall conv. Could bump up the tire size a tad, but the car is still running the small bolt pattern so I'm limited to a 14" tire.
No your not you can get 15" wheels in small bolt .

Also keep in mind the small block Mopar doesn't like to spin over 6500/6600 rpm without oiling mods. While sometimes you can get away with a few hundred RPM's more, that would be the block itself that has the abilty that most other blocks do not.
Guitarjones did a oiling mod thread. Mopar has a book called the engines book that out lines what needs to be done for a high rpm engine to live at high RPM's. Highly recommended to do!

Stock rocker arms should be replaced with roller rockers & bars & stronger hold downs for the bars.
An excellent and worthy measure.

They also like to breath and exhale deep. Give it lots of carb and generous exhaust tube headers.
She'll run for you.

Sure they do thats where I got mine , look for the Wheel Vintiques models , they have both repro ralleyes and steelies

Got to thinking. If I run these KB 191 pistons, will it run the compression high enough to start detonation? I believe my stock flat tops were around 8.4:1 with the piston .8" down in the hole.

If the cam is to small or the octane isn't enough, you'll have a problem.

-
Back